Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • ONE MEEEEELLION LUMENS! MWAHAHAHAHA!
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OK, so it’s only 6,000 really, but would you just look at this!

What appears to be just a bunch of cooling fins at first glance turns out to be the housing for a very silent fan that adjusts its speed according to the light’s output to keep things cool. The fan draws air into the sides of the unit and out the back to keep it cool, even when not moving thus making it safe to touch

And, all on a standard Cateye bracket.

HT – http://www.bikerumor.com

scaredypants

slop

grime

fffzzzzt

🙁

robz400
    Free Member

You cannot imagine how well that would go with my bike!

Send it to me immediately and I’ll happily send you a photo of it mounted and looking amazing

It’s for the greater good

tang
    Free Member

Forget that, the Open U.P. in the link is what I’m interested in! Edit: but I’ll have one attached to above bike.

matt_outandabout

If you get the angle right, it will blow warm air on your face during midwinter freezing rides. Win.

Poopscoop

£649.99!!!!!!!!! Insane!!

I’ll stick with my Chinese lights I think!

simonpedley

I wonder how the fan will cope in torrential rain?

Harry_the_Spider

…or when the shit hits it?

avdave2

I’ve seen Panasonic Tough Books working perfectly as they’ve had a jug of water poured into their fans. Quite something to see a laptop working as water pours out of it but it shows it’s quite possible to build a light with a fan in it that’ll work in a monsoon.

bigjim

Too bright imho, though I can see it appealing to the all the gear riders. Also, that is a lot of weight!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Or it could adjust to lower the output when stationary / overheating, and also make the casing out of metal so it won’t melt, and then don’t touch the thing anyway when in use. No mechanical part required or vents that will clog up with and suck in mud.

There are lights already on the market that do this 😉 (and cheaper, though not £20 Chinese cheap, but they won’t do any of these things anyway, and will only do a 10th of the lumens claimed).

Sandwich

Point it where you wish to ride and watch as the trail is melted open for you.

mcnultycop

I’m fat and I don’t ride slow enough to need a fan on my lights.

stumpy01

I like it!
    Apart from the price.

cookeaa

All the extra complexity, cost and nonsense of fitting a Fan for…

6000lm – 1 hour

Although TBF the “500lm – 12 hours – All Night Mode” almost makes up for the pointless headline figure, until you look at the price, it’s not just a ” you could buy a whole bike for that” price you could get a pretty decent one and have change for a reasonable set of lights… FFS…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Why would you design a complex electrical/mechanical subsystem to do what can be done passively?

£$£$£$£$£$£$£

No sale here.

Luminous
    Free Member

Well, it looks to be a pretty little thing. I’d bet the 6000 lm is akin to those MPG figures auto makers claim for their cars.

If my experience of loaning lights out to interested customers is anything to go by. It’s not just water getting into the fan, but the dirt too. Nearly all my loaned lights have been returned with varying levels of dried mud on them.

Having designed and manufactured lights for this exact purpose, I’d not have considered including a fan. But then again, none of my lights produce anything like 6000 lm.

Interesting though.

stevied
    Free Member

Unfortunately their claim to be the ‘worlds brightest light’ is wrong, that’ll be my custom 7000+ lumen monster 😯
    Interesting idea with the fan though. Can’t see it working too well in the grimy UK weather.

rocketman
    Free Member

fitted some outdoor floodlights at the weekend

17100 lumens muhuwaha my bike lights look like candles

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Brighter lights ruin night rides, they don’t make you faster, they dazzle others in the group/cast shadow and make it hard for your own eyes to adjust to the dark at times. They also turn contrast into a myth so everything looks white and you end up smacking into things.

Don’t even start me on mates using rear LEDs when offroad!

All hail a legal 800lum limit for night mtb, HAIL! HAIL! HAIL!

wwaswas

There’s been a Lumen war goign on since at least when I started riding off road with a Cateye 220 about 15 years ago.

Most people seem to have arrived at their own max power, beyond which they don;t see any real benefit but it varies. On a fast open DH you need far more light than a bit of tight wooded singletrack.

Depends if you’re riding at night becuase you want to or because the alternative is not riding as to how much light is ‘enough’, I guess.

MSP

They also turn contrast into a myth so everything looks white and you end up smacking into things.

Agreed, I wish more work was done on the tone of the light to give a broader spectrum rather than more lumens.

deadkenny
    Free Member

MSP – Member

They also turn contrast into a myth so everything looks white and you end up smacking into things.

Agreed, I wish more work was done on the tone of the light to give a broader spectrum rather than more lumens.
    [/quote]

That’s why some lights offer green LEDs. Four4th for example.

Talking of their lights, of interest I find on group rides few will run them at high power. Generally because they won’t last that long and they’re insanely bright. Medium is still massively bright and fine enough for everyone in the group. Low is fine, but yes everyone else has to run low then 😉

Goldigger
    Free Member

You guys have missed the most important benefits of this light…
    Let the guy who has it ride in front, you don’t need a light he will light the path for you and at the same time dry out the muddy trails win win
    😀

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘ONE MEEEEELLION LUMENS! MWAHAHAHAHA!’ is closed to new replies.