Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • One love gig
  • natrix
    Free Member

Katy Perry looks well strange now.

I thought she was looking pretty damn hot actually…………….

jamj1974

Justin Beiber is a talented multi-instrumentalist. I don’t like his music but he can play for sure.

RustySpanner

I agree, but watched most of it anyway.
    Worth it just to see so many people enjoying themselves.

Can’t say much of the music is stuff I’d listen too again, but who cares?

Good on AG, she comes across as a remarkably decent individual.
    Honorary Manc indeed.

tthew

After going to see all the fans who are still in hospital and having a hand in sorting all that out, (OK I know she wasn’t there all weekend erecting the stage and boarding out the cricket pitch, but she was undoubtedly the figure head) I think Ariana Grande should be awarded a freeman of Manchester.

It’s easy to be cynical about pop stars motives and assume they aren’t really that bothered about their fans, but that was a bang up job. Nice one our kids.

nealglover
    Free Member

Just because something is for a good cause why do you have to force yourself to watch it? That’s not being miserable or cynical it’s just deciding that you don’t want to sit through a couple of hours of teeny pop just because everyone else is.

I didn’t have to force myself to watch it 🙄

And I didn’t watch it “because everyone else is”

I watched it because it felt good to see something positive for a change. And it felt good knowing that people aren’t letting the terrorists force them to hide away at home in fear.

If you can’t see that the whole event was about more than music, then I think you have totally missed the point 🙁

RustySpanner

Some people just don’t like that kind of thing.

That’s all, no big deal.

MrSmith
    Free Member

If you can’t see that the whole event was about more than music

thats obvious, you would have to live in a cultural/media vacuum to not know that.
    me watching 3 hours of Beiber, Take-that, Katy Perry and Coldplay isn’t going to change the reasons/sentiment or help those affected. a donation or going about your daily lives as normal might.

if you are a big Ariana Grande fan or felt that watching was a useful way to spend 2-3hrs of your time and helped those close to you deal with their anxiety then obviously i wouldn’t suggest you should do otherwise.

zokes
    Free Member

+1 tthew

Watching it now on iplayer and quite impressed how well it’s been pulled off. Sure, most of the music’s not to my taste, but to achieve that in a week is bloody impressive.

Manchester, I’m proud of you

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Personally I didnt get it, yes what happened in Manc was awful, however

Robbie was plugging his tour (badly)

Ariana G is now a lot more famous (and rich) than she was.

The TV presenters were trying (painfully) to look as sad as they could.

After going to see all the fans who are still in hospital and having a hand in sorting all that out, (OK I know she wasn’t there all weekend erecting the stage and boarding out the cricket pitch, but she was undoubtedly the figure head) I think Ariana Grande should be awarded a freeman of Manchester.

No she only went to the Manchester hospital, there are victims now in other hospitals in the UK that she didnt visit.

I bet her input went as far as saying, Manager I want to do something for the people who were there, then her manager sorted the rest £££££

zokes
    Free Member

Well, I’m glad I’m not as cynical as you

binners

If that’s what you really believe, that you’re actually that cynical, then I genuinelly feel sorry for you.

I don’t think anyone who watched a single second of her performance last night would think it came from anywhere else but the bottom of her heart. You can’t fake emotion like that. It was a young woman who has obviously been enormously emotionally affected by what happened

But If that’s what you want to think …. Hey ho… maybe she should just gone and moaned about stuff on the internet instead

nt80085

For me it was far too soon and inappropriate for the grieving parents and family members that lost loved ones in the attack. Cant even imagine what they must of thought about it all.

binners

Well a lot of them were there as they had the area at the front reserved for them, and the ones interviewed seemed happy to be there sticking two fingers up to the terrorists

Maybe they should all have been sat in a dark room, weeping?

tthew

For me it was far too soon and inappropriate for the grieving parents and family members that lost loved ones in the attack. Cant even imagine what they must of thought about it all.

if it had been done in, say 6 months time I reckon the impact of it would have been greatly diminished and grieving families may have had another lot of emotional trauma to deal with by seeing all the coverage and press bringing it all back again.

For me, the fact it was done only two weeks later was one of the most powerful messages of strength, love and solidarity that could have been given.

DezB
    Free Member

I didn’t even know it was on. Thanks to STW I can hate Robbie Williams for appearing ex post facto.

DezB
    Free Member

Breakfast TV this morning featured a mum & daughter who witnessed the suicide bomber – watch it on iPlayer and you’ll find out.

zokes
    Free Member

For me, the fact it was done only two weeks later was one of the most powerful messages of strength, love and solidarity that could have been given.

Absolutely.

Heck, I’m even mildly impressed by Chris Martin doing Don’t Look Back in Anger, and I hate the **** usually

Edit: I take that back, I’ve just heard what he did to Sit Down

nealglover
    Free Member

….i wouldn’t suggest you should do otherwise.

No. Obviously, you would never do anything like that.

Why would you even watch it?

why would you wilfully sit through that sugar coated pop dirge?

Just because something is for a good cause why do you have to force yourself to watch it?

…sit through a couple of hours of teeny pop just because everyone else is.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I bet her input went as far as saying, Manager I want to do something for the people who were there, then her manager sorted the rest £££££

Well of course it was. Did anyone really think she’d be going through the Yellow Pages, looking for PA rental?

I’m sure it’s done her career the power of good. Queen couldn’t get themselves arrested after playing Sun City under apartheid; they play Live Aid and they are back to being national treasures. That doesn’t mean it’s not the right thing to do.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ariana G is now a lot more famous (and rich) than she was.

Famous yes, but famous now to people who are highly unlikely to buy her music anyway. And richer, how?

For me it was far too soon and inappropriate

The whole point of it was to get on with things and not let terrorists stop people doing what they do. I think you’ve missed the point of it being as soon as it was.

The music wasn’t my thing, I particularly hate coldplay, not just dislike, but I watched it and found parts of it very emotional.

For a 23 year old fronting something like that it impressed me.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I didn’t really know who Ariana Grande was other than another teeny popper with a fascination with themselves. But in the wake of what happened, and to put together that concert in such a short space of time is more than impressive when a lot of other artists would have hunkered down in their mansion talking about how it “affected them”.

I’m sure it’s done her image no amount of good, but the fans don’t care about that when they get a selfie with the lass, and to them a little sunshine is better than what they were subjected to the last time they went to see her live

lowey

I know a few of the parents that were there on the night of the bombing, with their children. They were also in the audience last night, with their children. Along with my daughter who insisted on going. Both my girls also went to the Courteeners Gig. It wasnt too soon. In fact, in my humble opinion the timing was perfect. I didnt even know a lot of the artists, but I sat watching it mostly in tears last night.

Reading some contributions to this thread tonight has genuinely made me sad.

Back to the bike forum for me.

SaxonRider

I didn’t watch, as I didn’t know it was broadcast, but I want to thank binners for his commentary on this thread. Have a pie or a pint on me.

frankconway

@FunkyDunc – you know how to piss on the chips.
    Plenty of posts attempting to put you straight.
    I won’t waste my time.
    A little common sense would have told you to keep your cynical views to yourself.

MrSmith
    Free Member

The whole point of it was to get on with things and not let terrorists stop people doing what they do

True that. I never watch pop concerts so carried on as normal after a bit of quiet reflection on recent events.

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘One love gig’ is closed to new replies.