Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • One lever braking
  • seven
    Free Member

I know I’m not (and I suspect the rest of the STW masses) the target market, but still not sure that this will catch on

single lever brake system

Seems a solution looking for a problem

trail_rat
    Free Member

if it worked with disks 😉 i could have used this on 2 occasions ….. ever tried converting a bike for a below the elbow amputee ?

highclimber
    Free Member

this line says it all for me

The system eliminates the risk of over-applying the front brake and causing over-the-bars accidents

I think this is more likely with Disc than V brakes!

coffeeking
    Free Member

ever tried converting a bike for a below the elbow amputee ?

But that surely is about the only possible sane application?

uplink
    Free Member

I’ve seen one done, complete with a tiny, adjustable bias valve

midlifecrashes

Thought this had been done years ago, for back wheels of trikes in particular,

Potdog
    Free Member

But surely you want to vary the amount of braking force to front and rear wheels at different times? I thought that was why we had 2 individual brake levers.
    Although I can see it could have some bespoke applications 🙂

Trekster

seven – Member
    I know I’m not (and I suspect the rest of the STW masses) the target market, but still not sure that this will catch on

There is a guy from Keswick using a disc brake system, rides @ Mabie regularly. Has only got 1 leg and 1 arm, really wierd watching him clip his bits`n pieces together.

Seems a solution looking for a problem

Iraq & Afghanistan spring to mind. Local charity does a fair bit of rehab work, biking being one of the activities

Olly
    Free Member

nice. i can see how it works, and approve.

personally, i would run two brakes off one lever, and run a rear bias.

but full marks for effort!

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

You can do this with HS-33s.. I’ve seen it on an adapted bike.. Just daisy chain them together by replacing the bleed valve with another hose! There’s no simple way of biasing them though, but the ones closer to the lever move first, and you have to set them up very close to the rims.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Also useful for bike polo

takisawa2

Honda Blackbird used to have a braking system that applied both ends, but I think it was 70/30 biased. Would be quite easy to rig up with a hydraulic circuit.

Northwind

I can’t remember which, but one of the main guys from either Hope or Orange uses a single-lever brake I think… I remember reading it in some magazine fluff piece. Hope, I think.

takisawa2 – Member

Honda Blackbird used to have a braking system that applied both ends, but I think it was 70/30 biased.

And bloody stupid… Though, they did still have independant levers, just that if you used one it also applied the other.

seven
    Free Member

Trekster and Trail Rat

target market from the blurb is

“Slidepad Technologies of California developed a single-lever, automatic brake system, suitable for commuter and recreational bikes

Appreciate the market you both mentioned, but hopefully it is not large enough to build a business case – but you could always drop them a line. Publicity would be good if nothing else

DickBarton

One of the owners of Hope rides with one brake braking system apparently…reckons it’s not bad as well.

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm, applies the back brake before the front, modulates the front so you never get maximum braking power when you need it. I’m out.

bighendo
    Free Member

..i configured a one lever two brakes arrangement years ago using a Triumph Bonneville 1 into 2 throttle link, the bias was easily set with inline cable adjusters.(running V brakes)
    on the road where conditions/grip, were fairly constant, they were, unbelievably good!!!
    but take them off road, XC/downhill sections …./loose scree/wet mud, absolute disasterous!!! and since i only could afford the 1 bike i had to ditch the system.

thepodge
    Free Member

they are used loads in polo where you need good stopping power with just one hand

ex-pat
    Free Member

What we need here is double braking and integrated gears on the lever on a single front ring setup.
    Now that would de-clutter things nicely.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Does seem like a good idea for limited applications but I really hope it doesn’t catch on with mainstream bikes.

Think after one ride with that anyone doing ‘proper’ riding would realise just how much modulation there is with the brakes. There’s times when any front brake is a seriously bad idea (steep hill when the back end tries to lift anyway). Front brake can also be used at a lot more than 30% bias in a quick stopping situation.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘One lever braking’ is closed to new replies.