Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • One letter from disaster
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

At work. Searching for the radio station du choix at the moment, Planet Rock. Was just about to hit the “I’m feeling lucky” button when I noticed the errant C had replaced the second R.

That could have gone very badly, I suspect.

Any similar examples?

*Edited my idiocy out! 😳 *

almightydutch
    Free Member

what 2nd R?

wwaswas

saw this on BitterWallet today, again an errant ‘C’ spells disaster for those looking for 10% off…

jam-bo

one of our purchasing girls fell for buying some stationary from pen island.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Strangely, a one letter error in Google Image Search gave me this:

Which wasn’t actually what I was after….

Cougar

what 2nd R?

😆

Any similar examples?

Not quite what you’re asking, but Absolute Radio now have a Classic Rock station. My DAB info displays this as “Absolute C Rock” which amuses me no end.

crikey
    Free Member

Trying to remember a gastro pub in the Lakes, and suggesting search terms to someone else resulted in them typing in ‘black cock in cumbria’….

It was actually The Blacksmiths Arms, but we learned something new that day.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Always spell check when typing “regards”, the G and T are quite close on your keyboard.

rkk01
    Free Member

As a newby in the world of work – I dropped an “o” from the word “County”

Pigface
    Free Member

Once typed hotmail as hotmale into a mates computer, things were never the same again 😯

almightydutch
    Free Member

I’m not wrong am i Cougar? There isnt a 2nd R……CFH is usually pretty good but i fear the dementia has kicked in for this one

Cougar

No, not at all. But I’d to read it twice to be sure, because there’s a little part of my brain going “but there must be!”

PJM1974
    Free Member

Never google “Large Hadron Collider” at work with a hangover. Just don’t.

sturmey
    Free Member

Quite a few years ago the car group Dixons were launching themselves into the sale of motorbikes unfortunately they had all the stationary ready when someone pointed out “Dixon Bikes” was possibly not the best brand name they could have chosen.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Cougar, yes CFH had a brain lapse. As you were.

Philby

Used to work in marketing for one of the big tour operators – a colleague didn’t proof read the insurance page properly. So the heading “Pubic Liability Insurance” appeared in a few hundred thousand holiday brochures.

On another occasion the same colleague also put the wrong telephone for the Glasgow office in the brochure, and a poor old dear was beseiged by people wanting to book two weeks in Majorca or Tenerife. The company had to get the number transferred and sort her out with a new number.

Cougar

Once typed hotmail as hotmale into a mates computer, things were never the same again

<tangent>
    Years ago, when the web was just gaining in popularity and all of this were fields, I started pushing to get web access for the tech support dept at work.

One day some time later, the MD and the head of support dropped by my desk unannounced and went “go on then, show us.” Put on the spot, I started an impromptu demo of what the web was, what it could do, and how the techs could use it to get new drivers and look at manufacturer knowledgebases. They seemed impressed.

“So there’s a location bar here,” I rolled, “where you can type in where you want to go. You can use a search engine (Yahoo!) but most companies have fairly obvious names. Like ford.com, for instance.”

At the time, we were having a lot of driver issues with DTK motherboards, so I ploughed on, “DTK probably have a website, where we can get chipset drivers, let’s have a look.” I dutifully typed in http://www.dtk.com, and at ISDN speeds, the website slowly unfurled for “Dress To Kill,” purveyors of fine rubber and fetishware.

Transfixed by a slowly loading gimp, there was one of those silent pauses that you get when you drop a glass jar onto a ceramic hob(*), where the world just seems to stop momentarily. Then the MD quietly left me with “Yes. I don’t think we’ll be getting that, then.”

</tangent>

(* – I imagine)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup..

Just missing the obvious letter…

🙂

druidh
    Free Member

In search of outdoor wear while on a break at work, I entered the url for blacks.com instead of blacks.co.uk…..

chakaping
    Free Member

I once messaged a female colleague who I hadn’t met in person at another site over the in-house direct message system to ask: “Are you busty?”

Luckily she had a good sense of humour, but she didn’t answer the question.

My fingers often seem to add a “t” when typing “busy”, must be somethign freudian.

jam-bo

wiggle bike shop didn’t always have the wiggle.com domain.

Cougar

wiggle bike shop didn’t always have the wiggle.com domain.

That’s a point. Firebox used to be Hotbox.co.uk until they realised there was an altogether different type of site at Hotbox.com, IIRC.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘One letter from disaster’ is closed to new replies.