Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • one for the Scots – Moine Path and Bealach nam Meirlach
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Easter means Scotland 🙂

some of those likely to answer this know where we’ve toured up there before but for those that don’t:

Half loaded tourer with tough tyres and fairly skilled mtb experienced pilots.

couple of paths i’m interested in, Moine Path (Ben Hope) and Bealach nam Meirlach (Strath More to Loch Merchland). need to know if these are passable and whether they are likely to be badly affected by rivers in spate or snow.

both are readily avoidable by road but we like to stick the odd offroad section in. Route is roughly Rogart to Tongue via Kinbrace then Tongue to Carbisdale by the above

thanks

13thfloormonk

I had planned to ride both last year but stopped at Durness, will follow this thread with interest!

There are a couple of books by someone called Ralph Stoner (only 50% sure of the second name) all about fell running and biking up north. Almost certain he’ll have written about those routes, just a case of trying to find the books! I know Crianlarich SYHA has a copy of one…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i’ve got a couple of books about Scottish drovers roads, not checked them yet although the conditions tend to vary season by season so recent local knowledge is where it’s at

rabyoung
    Free Member

Ralph Storer BTW. Harry Henniker’s books might be a better bet

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

the Meirlach pass looks to be mostly tarmac/hardcore from geograph/google earth

moine path is distinct on google earth but looks to be tussocky grass that’s not been well trodden for a while

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

the route at the moment:

google maps

TheBrick
    Free Member

There are a couple of books by someone called Ralph Stoner

“Scottish hill tracks” is one of them, an excellent little book.

gusamc
    Free Member

just fyi the HH 101 Blue Scotland bike routes dooesn’t cover either, nor does Stoner Exploring Scottish hill tracks.
    (ps track reports appreciated cos I really want to do the Loch Choire one only managed 1/2 so far, and a few more in area would help)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

“Scottish hill tracks” from the rights of way society has Bealach nam Meirlach in it but absolutely no detail – merely says “follow the track” 😕

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks, it looks like Moine path is the one i need to research, the other looks fine. It’s so easy to circumnavigate that i could just base it on weather. plenty of pics on geograph

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Interesting pics of the Moine path on geograph http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=20293130

sangobegger
    Free Member

The Moine path. That would be a big no,its tussocky grass fit only for walking.Any rain at all and you’d be lucky to push a unicycle.You can take the old moine road though which is entertaining as it bypasses about half of the main road plus there is a two mile or so downhill to the turnoff from the top at Moine house.Oh! and a bonus,some wag has graffited the inside of the old ruin,its certainly different.
    As for your run over past Gober to Merkland, the road is superb.Quite a climb up from the river but once on top its a long downhill to the main road. Go to flickr and look up Glen Golly to see what you have let yourself in for – enjoy the run, its fantastic.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks, i’d spotted the old road along side the main road, definitely go for that i think

Merkland does look like a pleasant ride

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

a successful trip in terrible Scottish weather. Sunburnt, unbelievable.

no midges

amazing weather

amazing scenery

Scotland Easter 2011-59 by mrmichaelwright, on Flickr

and more pics here

thanks fore the route advice, we missed out an offroad section on the last day (it was only in to boost the mileage anyway) as Overscaig to Contin proved to be a real killer.

route here

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

route link working again now, server migration issues.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

and now i’ve actually written it up.

first journal i’ve done, it’s actually quite good fun if a little odd. i might do some of the older tours as well

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/8729

bajsyckel

Thanks for the write up, has me in the mood for our trip round that area in a few weeks (no doubt with proper summer weather). BTW Can you (or anyone) recommend a good bike friendly hostel/campsite/b&b in Inverness? I usually stay with folks over that way, but they’re away this time.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks

the SYHA hostel is ok, big bike storage and good facilities (including proper SYHA skin stripping showers)

bajsyckel

Cheers. Will give them a call.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘one for the Scots – Moine Path and Bealach nam Meirlach’ is closed to new replies.