Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • One for the parents – hiking with babies
  • ourmaninthenorth

So, Mrs North, Baby North and I have been invited by our NCT group to go walking on Saturday in the outer edges of the Peaks (Wincle, near Macc).

I’m all for not wrapping them in cotton wool, but is it sensible to go for a 3 hour walk in November with a bunch of 12 week old babies?

Seems a bit much to me, but I’m a first time parent, so have no idea what babies are generally capable of (though I do know ours hates the baby carrier, so that’ll be a challenge).

Do we need to BabyTFU or are my reservations reasonable?

Stoner
    Free Member

I would not use the back pack for our 12wk old. But the Baby Bjorn on the front inside an oversized jacket would be OK.

Back pack is OK with plenty of checking, wrapping up warm etc, when they get a bit older. We’ve done lots of walking with our two from 12 wks onwards.

wwaswas

3 hours seems a while – particularly if you’ll need to stop and feed/change them in ‘open countryside’.

Is this a regular thing they do or a bit of an experiment?

Personally, I wouldn’t want to carry a baby for 3 hours – we had a Mountain Buggy that worked quite well for xc walks but it did struggle when things got a bit gnarly due to wheel size.

As long as there’s some points you can bail out and get back to the car quickish then I guess it can’t be too bad.

Main thing woudl be to keep the baby warm and dry – you’ll be hot from walking but they’ll be sat doign nowt the whole time.

bassspine
    Free Member

yeah!
    Use a sling so the baby is in front of you in the warm, not a backpack up high exposed to the wind, you can bring them inside your coat if it gets cold, too.

ourmaninthenorth

It’s a BabyBjorn. She’s a bit of a tiddler (well, quite a lot of a tiddler – only around 10lbs), so gets cold easily.

Other question is (and it’s entirely rhetorical) – will my back hold up?

Stoner
    Free Member

unrhetorically, my back starts to suffer a bit with fatso on the front after an hour.

ourmaninthenorth

Is this a regular thing they do or a bit of an experiment?

First time. I suspect the organisers are regular walkers, so it seems an obvious extension to them.

I’ll get my own back and take them out for a “gentle” ride…. 😉

theotherjonv

1/ Baby Bjorn inside the coat if needs be. Be sensible. If the weather’s not going to be great maybe 3 hours is a bit much as one loop, different if you have bail out options.

2/ Will my back hold up? How bad’s your back? And do you have the BS Bjorn, in which case get one of the ‘Active’ ones. I carried my two all over in them with barely a gip. And my two weren’t lightweights.

Another thing, at 12 weeks does she face in or out. If the latter, and they’re like my two, she’ll dribble all over the front of the carrier. Take plenty of muslin squares / flannels / anything so she isn’t face down in windchilled spit for 3 hours. That would piss me off, and I suspect she’d be the same.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

how did they assess 3 hours? their normal pace?

sounds a bit long for me for the first attempt, 2 hours with easy escape routes would be better. You may spend half your time with people changing poo explosion nappies (and therefore the clothes) one after the other and then it become 4 hours and then the feeds due etc etc ( 1 baby in a group is one thing, a group of babies is like a mtb group ride; you’ll stop for a puncture,fix it, just as you are about to set off someone else finds they have one etc etc)

if your kid is only 10lbs put them inside your coat as suggested above

big_n_daft
    Free Member

(though I do know ours hates the baby carrier, so that’ll be a challenge).

take ear plugs as well

ourmaninthenorth

TOJV

1. Will have to find a suitable coat (most of mine are, er close fitting due to my current post-birth weight gain).

2. Aches from riding bikes (muscle imbalances). Have an Active BB.

3. She’s still wobbling a bit, so prob facing in.

ourmaninthenorth

big_n_daft – my thinking, TBH.

Anyway, forecast is some rain, which might put the kibosh on it anyway.

geoffj

It might be OK, but once they get cold, all hell will break loose and you wont be able to get them warm or comfortable again until you get to some shelter.

If there are plenty of bailing options, then you will probably be OK. If its an exposed out and back, then I’d say no.

I’m still mentally scarred from taking our eldest up Glen Tilt in off-road pram, Christmas Day 2005! He was wrapped up like a mummy, but still got cold.

wwaswas

Have any of the group had caesarians? I’d say a 3 hour walk might be a bit much for them too?

ourmaninthenorth

Have any of the group had caesarians? I’d say a 3 hour walk might be a bit much for them too?

Two. Mrs North and the organiser..!

teagirl
    Free Member

Eeee, the glories of the NCT. We just met up for a weekly coffee! Started the walking thing a little later than that tho’. It’s awkward walking with a baby strapped to your front for that long even if you share the load. Watch your back as you walk at an unnatural angle ime. Use a good pram?

EdwardH

We used a baby bjorn from about three months, though it was spring time when we started and we had all sorts of “fun”.

I suspect that three hours in November will be a trial for all concerned. You will almost certainly get a sore back, with a jacket over you and baby, you will both over heat and then as you try to cool down young OMITN will get cold and complain. The smell of poo wafting up from inside your jacket will be something of a nice surprise and it usually happens just as you are furthest from civilisation, the rain is at its worst, there is no shelter and the young one really doesnt like the feel of a poo filled nappy. Not that I have much experience of it, oh no.

That and rolling the trailer with my eldest in a couple of weeks later are a couple of outings my wife reminds me of on a regular basis.

Bream
    Free Member

As mine is now 13 weeks old I would say a 3 hour hike in a Baby Björn would be too much with a 12w old. Unless you’ve already been out walking with the baby and its neck is strongish for their age. Can she hold he head still when being held upright, or hold her head up when on her tummy, etc? You could build up their strength over time etc. but 3 hours 1st time out is too much IMO.

I know when I walk with my little-un in the BB his head can flop about a bit so I normally tuck in his blankey to keep it cosy.

As for back ache, as long as your back is ok and you can MTFU it should be fine 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

A sling (Baby Bjorn Active for us – good back support) does mean they are close to you and stay a bit warmer but three hours is quite a bit.

Definitely too young for a back carrier. But when you do get one, get a Bushbaby pinnacle – they are brilliant.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Echoing what’s already been said, I would suggest that the two things to remember that the baby will get much colder than you, and the walk could easily take longer than planned.

As experienced by a couple visiting up here a couple of weeks ago who took their 16 month old boy on what should have been a 2 hr walk, but turned into a 12 hr walk/getting lost/mountain rescue. At -3.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My parents took my very well wrapped up little sister (18 months old at the time) for a long walk in a buggy near the sea in Winter – she ended up with pneumonia and had a nasty asthma attack and had to be put on oxygen overnight. Oops.

ourmaninthenorth

Right, you’re talking me out of it.

Which suits me fine – I can do other stuff with the family on Sat (when it’s raining) and then ride my bike on sunday (when it’s sunny).

Everyone’s a winner that way..! 😉

Surf-Mat – I’ll remember that suggestion. Thanks! 🙂

mrsflash
    Free Member

we took Teddy most of the way up Pen-y-Ghent when he was 3 weeks old, watching the 3 peaks. He slept most of the time, it was fine. We took him for a walk from Grassington last sunday as well, and I took him on a 5 mile walk from Kettlewell a couple of weeks ago. Warm suit and hat on and inward facing carrier = warm and sluggly sleeping baby. We’d not think twice about a 3 hour walk with him, he’s 9 weeks now. He just sleeps all the way round.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We have been for walks with ours (from around 8 weeks) but found that, due to feeds/nappy changes, travelling etc, we haven’t been able to fit more than around a 1 hour walk and we are both normally knacked when we get back as even small ones (Izzi was just 4lb 10oz at birth) start to feel heavy after a while. We use Baby Bjorns.

ourmaninthenorth

mrsflash – fair enough. I guess I don’t have a problem with the principle of a reasonably long walk (even in Nov), but the hassle factor of being in a big baby group may cause it to be longer than anticipated.

Unless we can encourage the babies to synchronise when they’re hungry/need a change.

mrsflash
    Free Member

yes i can see there might be a lot more hanging about if therere more babies. do you know what route they’re planning? if there are escape routes i think it’s worth a try. excuse lack of caps, feeding!

joemarshall
    Free Member

Are there tearoom stops to keep warm? Always a good idea, as one of the buggers will want feeding pretty much all the time.

We had a moby wrap sling at that age, which holds the baby very close and supports them very well, and we took her on a few walks (we live in Derbyshire), although I’m not sure if we got as far as a 3 hour walk (10 miles or so?). We probably did walks that took 3 hours, but only thanks to tearoom stops – were probably 5 miles or so mostly!

Now, we have a Connecta Integra, which is a bit more like a baby bjorn, and is great now she is bigger and likes to look around a lot. I wouldn’t be so happy going over stiles or walking in slippery mud if she didn’t have good head control though.

I’ve done dozens of 5 milish walks with the baby in the sling now – sometimes she decides she won’t nap in the house, so I take her for a walk over the hills.

Now it is quite muddy, depending on where you’re walking / how steep & rocky it is, poles might be useful, just to give you a bit more confidence when carrying the baby – certainly some walks round ours (other side of Derbyshire) where I’d like them.

Also, in related stuff, you might be interested to know, you are close to kiddy bike trailer age (with baby insert) – ours says gentle cycling from 12 weeks.

Joe

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

A baby would get REALLY cold in a bike trailer.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I thought 6 months for a bike? But I wouldn’t over winter anyway, as they don’t have your body warmth to keep them warm like in a sling.

joemarshall
    Free Member

A baby would get REALLY cold in a bike trailer.

That surely depends on whether you have the wind cover up, and whether they are in the special padded & insulated baby sling thing, inside a lovely warm sleeping bag thing etc etc.

The chariot trailers have a ski kit (they recommend I think 16 weeks before you ski with the trailer) – if you seriously think that they’re unsafe cycling in a British autumn, goodness knows how unsafe it must be cross country skiing in Scandinavia. Or maybe it is just like everything else, that you have to wrap em up warm, and make sure that they don’t get too much wind in their faces.

Except for wind chill, I don’t see why it’s different from taking a pushchair on the same route, and when you close up the front, there isn’t any extra wind chill. The pushchair has been on some pretty long walks on cold foggy mornings with no problems, you just have to make sure they’re wrapped up well (if it is very windy, I pop on the rain cover to avoid wind chill on the pushchair).

Wife’s friend has a (perfectly healthy) baby, and their only method of transporting it is on the bike. They just use the right stuff to keep their baby warm.

Joe

joemarshall
    Free Member

I thought 6 months for a bike?

Not with the fancy trailers with special baby inserts.

But I wouldn’t over winter anyway, as they don’t have your body warmth to keep them warm like in a sling.

Would you also not put them in a pushchair outside in winter then?

Joe

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As you probably know I have no kids and believe people are often far too overprotective but I would think that

to go for a 3 hour walk in November with a bunch of 12 week old babies?

Is not sensible.

Maybee if there are loads of bail out options but I think its too ambitious. depends on the weather to some extent. it could be cold and horrible it could be mild and nice

mrsflash
    Free Member

Not for the same length of time as a bike ride or proper walk, no, probably not. I’d use the moby.

ourmaninthenorth

Am going to get her a bike trailer at some point. Just need to be more succesful on ebay (missed a great cross frame last night due to Mrs North’s insistence to looking at houses on Rightmove).

I suspect we need to do some of our own walks at some point, before we get stuck into walking in a group with the attendant faffing.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

looking at houses on Rightmove

This appears to be an unfortunate side-effect of having a baby. Almost everyone we know (NCT classes too) has now realised their houses aren’t very family-friendly (us included) and are looking.

BTW – do either of you have an iPhone? Both Ebay and Rightmove have great apps so one could use that whilst the other is on your computer.

anagallis_arvensis

nothing to add to this thread other than to say I got a baby on tuesday morning and does anyone have a spare instruction manual there didnt seem to be one in the box.

ourmaninthenorth

nothing to add to this thread other than to say I got a baby on tuesday morning and does anyone have a spare instruction manual there didnt seem to be one in the box.

Nope. You have to write it yourself.

Llongyfarchiadau – hope you’ve go the nipper a red jersey already..! 😀

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Joe – fair comments but as mentioned, my very well wrapped up 18 month old sister ended up in hospital and on oxygen after a two hours walk in a buggy in chilly conditions.

I just don’t think babies can generate the heat that adults can. My bro in law has a 2 year old and a newborn and lives in Sweden – they don’t take them out far when it’s really cold.

antigee

ours are 8 & 10 now but mrs antigee nearly froze the youngest on a 2hr walk in a backpack – windchill is the problem

just been out for a 2hr stroll in a bog above bamford and car indicated zero as set off before sun popped out and the wind was cold enough to make me wonder if i had a neckwarmer in sac’
    3hrs is too long in november

ps on a more positive note – walking poles great for mudddy hills and stiles – less chance of squashed babies

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I think it depends completely on the baby. Baby FD didnt like his sling thing at all and managed about 30mins tops before having enough. Again dependant on the baby but I wouldnt walk for more than 1hr because Baby FD got in to nappy changing,feeding or both. One of my friends babies would go 3hrs (in the summer).

Multiply that by a bunch of babies and your going to get no where fast!

Babies are much more reactive to heat or cold than grown ups. Plus when your out walking, your moving generating heat. If you were to stand/sit still outside for 3hrs, no matter what your wearing you would get pretty dam cold.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘One for the parents – hiking with babies’ is closed to new replies.