Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • one for the older vinyl owners
  • slimtubing
    Free Member

How many of you used to read the unusual phases scribed into the runoff grooves of your records?
    the only one I can recall which i had on more than one record was "another porky prime cut"
    there were others but none come to mind.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I did. Iron Maiden used to do it, can't remember what they were though

peachos
    Free Member

still get phrases on new stuff as well

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

porky was a ledgend in his day – a sad loss on MP3

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you read them backwards is it the devil speaking?

BigJohn

Sgt Pepper says "I can never be any other" when played forwards. Backwards it says "When Superman eats Booey Man"

Milkie
    Free Member

I can't remember any of the phrases, although I do remember one was a telephone number, but would always look at it when it was a shiney new smelling vinyl being played for the first time. 🙂

ken_shields
    Free Member

I had a vinyl album (Psycledelic by Johnny Moped IIRC) that had 2 lead in tracks on side 1 so which track you got was dependant on where you put the stylus on……. v cool

peachos
    Free Member

ken_shields – Member
    I had a vinyl album (Psycledelic by Johnny Moped IIRC) that had 2 lead in tracks on side 1 so which track you got was dependant on where you put the stylus on……. v cool

eh? so the 1 track started at point 1 and the other at 180degrees from that or something? awesome.

nbt

never seen the double lead in track thing, that sounds cool. Spent hours looking for phrases in the run-outs though 🙂

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

Iron Maiden messages:

Powerslave – "there's only one"
    Somewhere in Time – A-side "It were so loud" B-Side "Even Wuiet Bits were Loud"

Pulled out some of my Maiden Vinyl and that's what I found on two of them

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

ken_shields – Member

Some albums way back when were designed for Race Night kinda things they used to peddle at fairs, best on who would win kinda things. They would have 4 different start points so depending where you started the ramaphone depended on the winner of the race. The Carny would take bets and dependent on the bets and which he would lose the least amount of money would depend on where he started the record

Nick

eh? so the 1 track started at point 1 and the other at 180degrees from that or something? awesome.

There are two parallel grooves

daveb
    Free Member

Kiss had a 12" released like that for Creatures of the night, the other side had autographs in the vinyl, I still have that somewhere.

antigee

had a saturday job in record department of a large store and it gave very juvenile pleasure to scratch "MR xxxxxx shags sheep & pigs" and similar between the run out grooves of any special order records for any really offensive customers

cinnamon_girl

Was too busy reading the cover cos they were works of art "back in the days" 🙄

Reckon I would have to dig out the magnifying glass now 😳

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Skimming through the first few that I've come across turned up the following (I couldn't be arsed digging out the 7"s)….

Loop – Fade Out a: 'Tearing your soul apart' b: 'From beyond with a heart of darkness'
    Moonflowers – Get Higher a: 'Take drugs and ****' b: 'Spiritual leaders of the nation'
    Wizards of Twiddly – Independent Legs a: 'Drat and Double Drat' b: 'Mind the Gap'
    Hawkwind – This Is … Do Not Panic a: 'Don't Read This Play It' b: 'When Yo Panic Get Hawkwind' c: 'Do you know the code' (one track on this side – Stonehenge Decoded) d: 'Watching the grass smoke ????' (again, one track – Watching the grass grow) – Porky
    Sonic Youth & Lydia Lunch – Death Valley '69 a: 'Ray Gun or Manson It's the Same Thing' b: 'The S.Factor was OK on the day' – Porky
    Inner City Unit – The Presidents Tapes a: 'Thanks to all our fans' b: 'Chas and Di go rind and rind with Porky' – Porky

What surprised me was how few actually had run-off messages. Most were 'signed' by the cutting engineers, bigger labels tended to have machine cut stuff with typeface serial in the run-off but not that many had yer actual messages. Anyways… A bit of info on Porky

cinnamon_girl

Er, what year were those?

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

mid 80s to early 90s. I foolishly went down the path of CDs after that only to be recently reunited with vinyl pleasures 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Hangs head in shame – mine are the 70's 😳

Rock on 😀

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

lol 🙂 it was the 70s ones that disappointed me. i thought, "Yeah, Hawkwind, Gong, Sabbath, Here & Now," they're *bound* to have 'em. No joy. I guess a lot of the punk 7" singles will do though.

cinnamon_girl

Depends who you listen to – how about Wishbone Ash? Emerson Lake & Palmer? Doobie Brothers? My personal favourite – Van Morrison although an acquired taste!

The 70's were where it was at 8)

DezB
    Free Member

HeathenWoods you are a hippy/crustie/goth and I claim my £10 HMV record token 😉

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

HeathenWoods you are a hippy/crustie/goth and I claim my £10 HMV record token

Lol, i'll give you a fiver, I was never a goth. I wash too often these days to get a serious crust going but hippy? Well… there is that cloud of patchouli that follows me everywhere…

The 70's were where it was at

Hawkwind, Ash Ra Tempel, Sabbath, Stooges, Amon Duul (I +II)? Can't argue too hard 🙂

singlespeedstu

Don't know about messages scratched into the runout grooves but I once bought a second hand Yellowman LP that had a lump of squidgey black stuck to the inner sleave cover.

Result!

cinnamon_girl

Black Sabbath eh? It's a family forum so I won't go into details about how I "obtained" an item of clothing belonging to Ozzie Osbourne 😯

twohats
    Free Member

I have an album in which the final track on each side of the record is reverse grooved, so plays from the inside of the record outwards!

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

LOL @cinnamon_girl. The mind is boggling. ❗

cinnamon_girl

That wasn't the only thing that was boggling 😉

cinnamon_girl

Started telling my kids about it and they got a bit freaked, reckon they thought their mum had been a groupie 😯

They thought it was kinda cool at the end though 🙂

grahamb
    Free Member

HeathenWoods, +1 to that. Of the 70's vinyl i have to hand, the ones i expected to see something on (Glastonbury Fayre, Greasy Truckers Party, Fairies, Gong etc) had nothing. Tonto's Expanding Headband came up with the goods … "The only way out of a circle is through the centre. Peace, love & joy. Signed Bob & Malcolm".

Porky must have been bored when he did the Cabs "Live at YMCA". One side is "A Lively Porky Prime Cut"

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

They thought it was kinda cool at the end though

heheh, at the end of what? The counselling? 😀

"A Lively Porky Prime Cut"

🙂 A bit of an off day for porky!

tops5
    Free Member

Was the first thing i looked at when getting the latest smiths release home!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Got a Naplam Death LP (1st release of Utopia Banished IIRC) and it had "gary jumper-core" between the run out grooves. WTF?

stevestunts
    Free Member

I was actually doing this before I read this thread. Just bought some vinyls for the first time in a while.

The only one that springs to mind is "Money in the bank paid for the tank" which is from an Altern 8 EP.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

"Loop – Fade Out a: 'Tearing your soul apart' b: 'From beyond with a heart of darkness'"

Strange as it may seem, I have Neil from Loop's Moog Prodigy. He buggered off to NZ last week. I'm tempted to keep it for myself at the moment, but it will probably end up on ebay soon. So, does anybody like Loop and want to buy Neil's Prodigy?

Cash is going to Neil by the way, not me.

DezB
    Free Member

"A Nixmix Bilbo Bopadoodle" on a Gang of Four 12" I just grabbed 😕
    The Fall – Mr Phamicist has "Paen to Vitamin D" one side and "All British Cheery Song Success" the other.

(Enjoying Sean Lock now so can't be arsed to look at any more)

sq225917
    Free Member

All the Smiths singles have some comment on them

Travis

CG – started telling them, but due to the nature of it, you never got round to actually finishing it 😉

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘one for the older vinyl owners’ is closed to new replies.