Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Triumph Daytona advice
  • Denis99
    Free Member

I’m want to return to riding a motor bike – last bike I had was a BMW R1100S, about 4 or 5 years ago.

A friend of mine is selling his 1996 Triumph Daytona 900. It is absolutely mint, and very low mileage – I can trust him that there is nothing wring with it.

Price is good aslo.

Has anyone owned one – just looking for some further comments from people who might have owned one and why they eventually got rid of it.

Looks like a good re introduction for me and quite a cheap method of getting back to a big bike – mileage is less than 20,000.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well edited, OP….!

🙂

snaps
    Free Member

Not aware of any issues but Triumphs are not my strong point, is there an owners club you can ask?

oldgrump08
    Free Member

This site is good, some useful advice around.

I went for a 955 last year 🙂

Denis99
    Free Member

Thanks oldgrump08 – I’ll have a look.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

From what I remember – the 955i is the better engine to go for, the previous 955 and 900 had some weaknesses (IIRC from when I was buying a Speed Triple a few years back). Alas a 955 Daytona is rather expensive still!

Great bikes though the triples, sound fantastic and drive superbly. Looking at chopping the current Tiger 1050 in at the moment for something a wee bit less savage less likely to be ridden fast though (the result of newfound responsibility). So a naked then, possibly a Guzzi as I fancy trying a twin out! Failing that I may go back to an S3 if I can do so without huge any cost 😉

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

from memory there are three things to look out for with the old 900 triple and that’s starter motor, starter motor and starter motor. There’s a bit of a design flaw. I didn’t have any issues with my tiger which shared the same motor/frame, but I know a lot of people who did. I think it’s a a bit of nightmare to have repaired to, but can’t remember why. Sure to be loads of info on tinterweb. Other than that a cracking bike.

tomaso
    Free Member

Yeah its the sprag clutch for the starter gear that fails and requires the cases splitting and equals £££££. But if it starts ok or has been done then no worries. They are good bikes and well suited to road use and a bit of everything. Don’t go buying it thinkng its a Fireblade though :mrgreen:

Denis99
    Free Member

Thanks – I know the bike starts ok, but its only done 13,600 from new.

Read up on the sprag clutch problem, seems it can start anytime after 15,000 miles.

Its a very expensive repair job – I think I’ll pass.

Denis99
    Free Member

Didn’t buy the Triumph in the end – bought a BMW R1150R in lovely condition.

Now, where’s the sun gone….

Woody
    Free Member

Nice – I like bikes with more grunty torque than out and out performance, much more satisfying and relaxing to ride IMO (if that’s what you’re after, of course 😉 )

Any pics?

bakey

My last road bike was a T595. Superb engine, piles of silky smooth torque. My only gripe was that as a bit of a shortarse, it was really top heavy!

br
    Free Member

tbh Bikes, and especially Triumphs, have moved on a fair way since that was built.

Currently have a 1050 Sprint GT

sparkyspice
    Free Member

I had an L-reg (’94 I think) Daytona.
    Great sound out of the standard pipes! The triple engine is great. Not quite the gruff feel of a V-twin, but still with low down poke and it wants to rev a bit like an in-line 4.
    Quite comfy – but a long stretch to the bars if you’re a short arse. Massive fuel tank, so great for mile eating/commuting.
    Big seat and good for pillions too, (in case that might influence your purchase!!!!)
    Very simple tech but also fairly bullet proof. The frame and handling are nothing like a modern sports bike but if ridden well it’ll still have enough to surprise a few ‘Sunday only riders’.
    Sold mine a couple of years ago for £1000 as it needed new fork seals, and some tarting up. If your mint one is under £1250 I’d say it’s a bargain.

Denis99
    Free Member

Photo of the Beemer

martinxyz
    Free Member

Looks comfy.Just noticed the length of the forks.stone chip free uppers?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Have a look at the shock behind the forks. It’s a funny front end…

Denis99
    Free Member

It’s the telever lever system – doesn’t dive under braking – works quite well.

Not the most nimble bike in the world, but lovely to ride in a sane manner.

Bags of usable torque everywhere. Can bimble along at just under 2,000 rpm and just open the throttle – don’t have to keep changing gear.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Triumph Daytona advice’ is closed to new replies.