Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • one for the guitar players….advice for a learner
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Thanks – that’s useful.

Been a long-time ambition, but one I’ve always regarded as being a little too ambitious 🙁

My son is coming along well on sax – and there is a track I’d love top be able to play with him if I did learn.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I had that though, turned 40, bought an acoustic and started guitar lessons… 3 years later by then owning a strat as well and a huge amp. I gave up, never anytime and my ability wasn’t what I had hoped it would be (2 little kids didn’t help either)

By all means go for it but don’t spend too much on kit just in case…

Good luck, hope you do better than I did 🙂

oldgrump08
    Free Member

I started playing a year ago having picked up an old Yamaha Pacifica for £80. I used one of the vox plug in amp things with h/phones but soon bought a proper combo amp 🙂
    I had half a dozen lessons with a teacher to make sure I knew the theory of playing chords and identify bad habits but have gone it alone since. justinguitar is great, have a look at the various TAB listings, although getting the strumming patern right is the biggest problem for me.
    Finally – beware of the world you are getting into. At least as many aftermarket options as bikes, loads of lovely kit to ogle. I’ve just upgraded my Yam – I’m a lefty so not many new options available. All worthwhile, I ‘play’ around 4-5 hours a week.
    Enjoy.

rkk01
    Free Member

Conventional advice seems to be to learn on an acoustic guitar???

Whilst this might be good advice, it’s not an instrument that floats my boat, in any way.

Is this good advice, or is it analagous to going in to a bike shop because you want to try mtb’ing and having the shop guys try and sell you a road bike “to practice on first” ❓

oldgrump08
    Free Member

I nearly went down that route but was told if I like the sound of electric and that’s what I want to play don’t bother with acoustic. That was good advice for me.
    Can’t plug h/phones into an acoustic……………

Klunk
    Free Member

makes no difference, like bikes you’ll end up with more than one and one less than you need 😉

rkk01
    Free Member

Ahh,the old N=n+1 logic…

oldgrump08
    Free Member

My latest arrived today – UK made Tele copy off ebay for £62! Electrics need sorting but a bargain and still sounds nice.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

hmmm – links, I need to sort this for myself but i’m a bit tight to be spending the £200 people on here were after?

rkk01
    Free Member

Picked up an Epiphone Les Paul off ebay for £120… Christmas pressie from mrs rkk01

Just need to learn to play it properly now. 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘one for the guitar players….advice for a learner’ is closed to new replies.