Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • One for the farmers…
  • northernerindevon

I have an ex-mod Land Rover 90 that I repainted successfully a good few years back. It needs doing again after the great British weather and many greenlaning and pay and play days have taken their toll. I’d like to do it early spring next year when the weather warms up sufficiently and I’ll be sanding it down, removing glass etc and doing a good job. I hope.

Last time I had access to a friends large, dry, secure garage however she has since moved on and I have moved to the South West (Bristol). I now have no garage, no drive (very busy on street parking) and don’t know anyone with a garage.

What is the etiquette (if there even is one!) for asking farms etc if I could ‘rent’ a barn or large covered space for a week or 2? Would you just turn up and ask? Is there a going rate? I am clearly not from the countryside (northern mining town originally!) Does anyone reside in or near Bristol who might have some space I could use to sand and repaint?

Any ideas or suggestions (useful preferred but all welcome)?

Thanks in advance, Paul

TheBrick
    Free Member

If I didn’t know anyone. or know anyone who might know someone I’d put some adds up rural post office / newsagents e.t.c. saying you wanted to rent somewhere.

maccruiskeen

Last time I had access to a friends large, dry, secure garage

A farmer’s barn will only tick the first thing on that list, other than that they’ll be leak, dusty, dirty and your paint job will have flies, spiders and birdshit stuck to it

mattbee

My ex mod 90 was repainted several times with a gloss roller on my drive.
    It’s a Landy, it’s fine if it looks a bit tatty…

I thought the correct way to paint an ex military Land Rover was to;
    Wait for a day that’s neither particularly dusty or wet.
    Brush grease all over the windows and lights, and the sidewalls of the tyres if you’re being really fussy.
    Spray everything green.
    Wait for the paint to dry.
    Jetwash the grease off.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d say that a pretty good idea asking around Farms for some space to do your Landy up.

What I’d more comment on is the space they have available, if they are anything like MrGrumpyFarmerBouy then you’ll find 4 Barns stacked to the hilt with crap and no space to open the sodding doors never mind get in them.. 😕
    You might have to barter for the space is what I’m saying, you know offer up “I’ll shift your shit, you give me some space”

You know Farmers, they speak from the hip so expect the response to be blunt 😆

andyl
    Free Member

might be worth seeking out redthunder and asking him if he has/knows of any space.

South of Bristol you might get somewhere in the cheddar/axbridge areas or maybe up Dundry. I’ll email you with one place that might have space.

edit: no I won’t. No email in profile.

Oh and could always ask around at the Mendip Raceway.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Alternatively you could try a local industrial estate that has a few empty units. They will be dry, secure and fairly clean.
    Farmers sheds are mostly open.
    My FIL probably has the exact thing you’re looking for – just wrong part of the country.

northernerindevon

Thanks for all the comments – MTG: I’m not military and know how good doing a proper job can be.

The Brick – not a bad idea.

Cheers for the PoV from a farming background bikebuoy, I hadn’t thought of that but I was expecting a blunt response!!

AndyL – email now in profile if I’m not too late…

Sharkbait, another idea I hadn’t thought of that I could pursue. Ta

Thanks again all, Paul

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘One for the farmers…’ is closed to new replies.