Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • one for the city boys – good shoes shops in lahndahn taan
  • davidrussell
    Free Member

Hi,

As above really, can you recommend any shops selling good brands? Off down to London for a few days at the weekend and want to get meself some good shoes for work. Currently been looking round herringshoes.co.uk at loake, barker (not a huge fan of their look in some cases) Church etc. Dont want to pay silly money but happy with 1-200 for a good pair, and would be happy with seconds etc. Anything down your way that will fit the bill?

Cheers

TooTall
    Free Member

Seeing as most of what you're looking for are made in or around Northampton, stop off there some time. Most of them have factory shops and, if you are lucky, you'll score for some splendid shoes. My main work shoes were from the Cheaney factory shop at a bargain price.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Jones Bootmaker – lots of branches around the city & they have a sale on at the moment (to be fair, they always seem to have a sale on!)

davidrussell
    Free Member

cheers – i'm on a greasyjet flight into Gatwick so a detour won't be possible unless the pilot is lost 🙂

Will check out Jones, I presume they have a web presence.

Any more for any more?

mcboo
    Free Member

Jeffery West (another Northampton shoemaker) are my faves, have 5 pairs, classics with a twist and some downright outrageous designs that aint my bag. Have shops in the City and West End and Selfridges

http://www.jeffery-west.co.uk/

Grenson are pretty good too, bit cheaper than JW, I just got some nice suede ones for the summer. Shop at Liverpool St.

I'm such a big shoe queen I should be in Sex and the City.

davidrussell
    Free Member

Cheers. We'll be staying near tower Bridge so I'll have a squiz and see where these folks are at from the hotel.

ourmaninthenorth

Head up to Cheapside. I can think of Barker and Church's shops almost next to each other.

I wear Barker and Loake. Loakes have been good; Barker I have found more hit and miss (though well constructed).

Where you should have gone is Edwards in Manchester. Now that is a shop for a gentleman to buy shoes….

SuperScale20
    Free Member

+1 Jones

Hobster
    Free Member

Take a stroll down Jermyn street as you will be abel to take a look at Church, Cheaney,Barkers, Trickers etc in one hit. Think there is also a Jones there as well. If the sales are on you make pick something decent up at a reasonable price.

If its the weekend a lot of the City based shops will be closed

duntmatter
    Free Member

Most of the Loake "stockists" only carry two or three styles. Head to Leonard Jay, 120-121 Newgate Street, London EC1A 7AE (020 7796 4880?) for a very good selection, and excellent service.

They carry Barker and other stuff too, and have good prices and deals, especially if you buy two pairs.

mossimus
    Free Member

Aren't Jones' and Church's part of the same group?

davidrussell
    Free Member

good info guys, thanks very much. STWpedia to the rescue as usual!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Crockett and Jones (nowt to do with Jones) there is a branch in the city (25 royal exchange) Better than Loakes and probably than Grenson, better value than Church's. Expect a pair to last 10 years+

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘one for the city boys – good shoes shops in lahndahn taan’ is closed to new replies.