Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • One for the Apple fanbois only perhaps – WWDC 2014 Keynote speech
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Anyone watch it? They’ve got some nice stuff on its way, particularly improving the interaction between iOS devices and OSX devices (via the cloud, natch). They look like they’re enjoying it all too, especially Craig Federighi, who – as these things go – was quite entertaining.

Finally they’re working on a proper cloud solution for editing and storing photos, which is one big weakness of Apple at the moment. They’ve also got some nifty features to allow a Mac to be used to make and receive calls from your iPhone. Might prove to be a gimmick, but I liked the sound of it.

Loads more on their website. My wife called me a geek last night of watching the keynote speech 😆

somouk
    Free Member

No major headlines from this years WWDC but some nice developments to the Apple eco system.

I must admit the ability to make and receive calls from the laptop will be useful.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Be good if they could sort out using iOS apps on OSX, that would nice, seems a bit odd ATM.

loddrik
    Free Member

Not much to get excited about. Hoping the ability to run apps split screen will be ready.

muggomagic

I didn’t watch it, but read up on it last night. There are a lot of new and interesting features. Interactive notifications are long overdue. Widgets in the notification center is a step in the right direction. continuity and metal look like they could be brilliant.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice to finally have airdrop work between OSX and iOS too. Mostly seems to be adding/fixing bits that people have been wanting for some time rather than anything really surprising.

I wonder if they’ve finally fixed the mail app so syncing works properly with gmail 👿

andytherocketeer

another programming language specially for osx/ios devices only in (another) attempt to make it a little bit more effort to write something cross-platform?

and jobs was the one going on about HTML5 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Not much to get excited about

I thought there was to be honest, but then that’s probably because there’s no love lost between me and Photostreams, which always seemed like only half a solution to the problem of storing and editing photos on multiple devices. The other half is on the way and it a cheeky way of Apple making some money out of iCloud storage.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yup ! I am sad enough that I will actually watch bits of it again tonight 😳

I think there are some very significant developments as the event got back to it’s roots – a software developers conference, the graphics interface, new coding language and ability to share data between apps. This will lead to some very cool new things appearing in the coming months.

The changes to OSX and iOS are evolutionary, personally I would have saved a great name like Yosemite for a bigger release but the cloud developments are interesting in particular. External keyboard apps people have been asking for for a while. S0 all good and I will upgrade as soon as possible. They did drop the iPhone4 from iOS8 support which is a pity but not too unexpected. I like the fact you can see battery usage by app – there are lots of rumours about how battery hungry certain apps are (eg Skype) now we can see. Apple is smart as everyone has been blaming Apple/iOS for poor battery life but up till now app developers can write poor apps and hide under the radar.

I think the family sharing will be hated by kids, family find-my-phone will be used by parents to try and spy on their kids and the kids will reject it. Same for husband/wife ? Also automatically family sharing every photo you take on your iPhone ? That’s a no. Also I think apple missed a trick by trying to charge for photo stream storage, Flickr (which is increasingly rubbish) gives you 1TB free.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Airdrop between iOS and OSX is a nice feature too.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I think apple missed a trick by trying to charge for photo stream storage, Flickr (which is increasingly rubbish) gives you 1TB free

What Apple are planning* with photos is an offline solution for photo management and editing that syncs via iCloud, rather than a web solution like Flickr. That appeals to me. It may also mean I can use iCloud as a genuine and proper backup solution too. If I can ditch Livedrive for cloud backups it saves me some money for extra iCloud storage.

*at least that’s how I interpreted it

Jamie
    Free Member

The main change I’m happy to see is the 2D dock back. When they stripped it from Mavericks, I was like.. “Duuuuuude!”.

Shame they have made it look bland as shit, with a low opacity grey background, but hopefully that can be changed.

I really hate the 3D Dock.

Edit: Forgot to mention, for those non-devs who want a sneak preview, Apple are running a public beta this time: https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Airdrop between iOS and OSX is a nice feature too.

Which should have been implemented from the beginning. So slow clap for Apple there.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I really hate the 3D Dock.

M’eh. I think Apple do get a little too excited about these little design details sometimes.

AdamW
    Free Member

I’m interested in Swift, got the book and starting to read. No pointers. Playgrounds sound very cool. Compiler functions to prevent issues (e.g. you have to use ‘override’ to override a sub-class’s methods as opposed to it being default). Automatic typing. Hooking into good frameworks for fast code. Basically trying to make sure things are safe.

This will make development on iOS and MacOS X faster for many. Objective-C is an interesting language but a higher-level one that has the power will speed things up quite a bit.

But then I’m a bit of a geek. I like programming languages.

mrblobby
    Free Member

iPhone4 from iOS8 support which is a pity but not too unexpected

No surprise. iPhone 4 is pretty much unusable anyway with iOS 7 🙁

GrahamS

iPhone 4 is pretty much unusable anyway with iOS 7

Mileages seem to vary. My missus is perfectly happy with iOS7 on her iPhone 4. Having played with it it seems a bit faster than iOS6 did.

Fine on my iPhone 4s too.

But yeah I can see why they would want to drop iPhone 4 support from iOS8 – apart from legacy holding them back we are also getting to the stage where there is no point buying a new smartphone because what we have is “good enough”, so the industry needs to encourage upgrading a bit.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@stilltortoise on the cloud storage yes I agree but it’s all about the price, currently too expensive IMO. I’m keen to drop Flickr as its got really bad.

I do chuckle at the 3D dock comments, just use launch pad then ! I’m just so happy after 30 years no to have to use MS DOS/Windows any more.

@Jamie I read that the beta programme is limited to 1 million people, as much as I like Apple I can’t afford to mess up my machine with beta releases. I can wait till October

I have a iPhone 4 as a backup, IMO it’s a better piece of hardware than my 4S which is the first bad iPhone I’ve had, WiFi no longer working (despite hairdryer “fix”). 4 runs iOS7 ok and I don’t use Siri anyway

mrblobby
    Free Member

My missus is perfectly happy with iOS7 on her iPhone 4

Yeah, it actually isn’t that bad. It just seems a lot worse if I’ve just had a play with mrs blobby’s 5s!

I’m interested in Swift, got the book and starting to read.

First thoughts are do we really need another proprietary language, though it does look nice and very Ruby like. Combined with the Playground feature it sounds really good for quick prototyping. Not that I’ll ever have the time!

GrahamS

No pointers. Playgrounds sound very cool. Compiler functions to prevent issues (e.g. you have to use ‘override’ to override a sub-class’s methods as opposed to it being default). Automatic typing. Hooking into good frameworks for fast code.

*cough* C# *cough* 🙂

andytherocketeer

swift is a silly name too.

my first thought was that they tried to reimplement python, c#, or vala

as always, if in doubt, create a new language, instead of adapting a “standard” one for your UI/API framework requirements. Apple, MS, Google, are all at it.

epicyclo

andytherocketeer – Member
    another programming language specially for osx/ios devices only in (another) attempt to make it a little bit more effort to write something cross-platform?…

Oh I remember Dylan. Never again.

Jamie
    Free Member

just use launch pad then

😯

chrismac

I hope Yosemite works. Mavericks wont even install on my iMac because it thinks the HD is the time machine back up disk as well as the actual time machine disk so wont let me install it

CountZero

I wonder if they’ve finally fixed gmail so syncing works properly with the mail app

FTFY

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘One for the Apple fanbois only perhaps – WWDC 2014 Keynote speech’ is closed to new replies.