Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 234 total)
  • One for BigDummy – utility bike content
  • miketually
    Free Member

I think I’d be more interested in a Yuba frameset than some of the parts on the builds that they come with.

If the parts last a year or so, I’ll be happy. Will probably switch to hub gears eventually anyway.

What’s in the back of that, Mike, chickens?

Not sure, just found it on Flickr, but you’re just giving me ideas now 🙂

AdamM
    Free Member

If the parts last a year or so, I’ll be happy. Will probably switch to hub gears eventually anyway.

Fair enough. It looks like both the 6-speed version and the singlespeed version use the same frame with the same dropouts so won’t matter which one you got to start with. I certainly think hub gears are the low-maintenance way to go for a utility bike, ideally with disc brakes as well, but that’s not possible on the Yuba. :^(

ourmaninthenorth

but that’s not possible on the Yuba. :^(

What’s the frame made from? If steel (which I guess it is), then you could have mounts welded on. Bingo!

ourmaninthenorth

Not sure, just found it on Flickr, but you’re just giving me ideas now

Surely there should be some air holes to let them breathe on the way to market….

We never ended up with any chickens (that I know of*) when I was a kid, but we did have horses, rabbits, dogs, donkeys, goats…. Not sure many of those would have fitted on a cargo bike!

*Sometimes, “friends” of my mother would pass though and leave animals to be looked after over night before their movement on somewhere else….

miketually
    Free Member

Yes, it’s made from scaffolding pipes 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Sometimes, “friends” of my mother would pass though and leave animals to be looked after over night before their movement on somewhere else….

Was she running an animal smuggling ring?

ourmaninthenorth

Was she running an animal smuggling ring?

Not quite. More that they were on their way to be re-“homed”….

BigDummy
    Free Member

The “plot” “thickens”.

miketually
    Free Member

Did you give them nicotine patches and cleanser?

brakes
    Free Member

so what do you guys carry or intend to carry on these bikes (apart from your wives)?

I could see myself getting one as it would save me strapping all manner of things to my back (bicycle frames, wheels, snowboard, 15 litres of tile adhesive, lengths of 2×4, groceries, bike stands), but I don’t think the frequency of need can justify getting one – 90% of journies wouldn’t require one

BigDummy
    Free Member

Brakes, just to give you a rough idea of how the thing fits in. I have no car (can’t drive), and live in a house with a big shed and a garden about 5 minutes ride from the station and an 11 mile commute from work. I use the Dummy for pretty much all my commuting and general mucking about by default, so I’m always on it if I need it. A lot of the time, agreed, it isn’t strictly speaking necessary, but it is incredibly convenient.

Jobs include:

– frequently picking my wife up from the station, she really appreciates this
    – shopping – I can do a week’s shop for 2 of us effortlessly. I probably could do it with panniers and a rucksack, just. On the dummy it’s effortless, the bags for life just go into the expandable panniers and the bike’s handling is hardly affected by any sane amount of weight
    – B&Q trips – I have easily carried enough paint etc for a full redecoration of the ground floor of the house, and can do garden centre type trips etc no problem. Again, not essential, just convenient.
    – off-licence – you really can haul as much booze as you feel decent buying, again, easily rather than with difficulty.
    – odd stuff – 4 x goods palettes to build a compost bin, 2 x dead bikes to the Recycles, shonky old ebay folder hauled home etc
    – Camping – I can carry all the junk for a comfortable trip, while herself can just ride light. Not actually done this yet.
    – bulky bits – I often have to commute lugging change of clothes plus books and papers etc etc. All that just drops into my (heowge) messenger bag and it sits into the pannier and just gets pulled out at the other end. It doesn’t hurt the handling, is perfectly stable etc.

Today I’ve had to buy a new wheel, which wants taking home. I won’t notice it at all, it’ll just be there with no bother.

This is the thing. In terms of pure load-hauling, no, you don’t necessarily need it every trip. It’s just well worth having. I’ve always had commuting bikes which tried to be mountain bikes or whatever as well. It’s fine, but having a dedicated bike that will carry anything I want to carry is marvellous.

Don’t at all underestimate the pleasure of carrying people as well. I basically transport my wife, but have hauled brothers and friends short distances from time to time as well. Xtracycle half suggest that random cute girls will want to ride on the back and maybe make out with you. That hasn’t been my experience yet, but I live in hope. It’ll also haul 2 kids if that ever becomes an issue.

🙂

ourmaninthenorth

brakes – look at it another way: you can have a car capable of carry 5 people and a bootful of stuff, but most of the time you drive it by yourself with a minimal payload. For most people, this is no justificaiton for riding a moped to work and then hiring a van to go to B&Q on a Sunday.

Same principle – own one with the ability to do all those things you list (and more – you can carry bikes on them: I’m thinking that it would be a good way to get my track bike from home to the velodrome). Most of the time you don’t need to have the load carryong capacity, but when you do need it, you have it.

Also, there is a tipping point, too, where the car starts to become redundant as there are tasks much better suited to a cargo bike.

ourmaninthenorth

C*ck. I wrote my little bit in the time it took BD to write all of that.

Mind you, BD’s a corporate tax lawyer and they have *nothing* to do these days…. 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have plenty to do Tom, but none of it is as pleasant or as pressing as Xtracycle evangelism.

🙂

ourmaninthenorth

I have plenty to do Tom, but none of it is as pleasant or as pressing as Xtracycle evangelism.

Ha!

(Glad it’s not too dire with you – I think our tax chaps are starting to sweat: they rely on M&A too much, and so are really twiddling their thumbs.)

brakes
    Free Member

I’m quite glad I’ve only just started to think about this as our cyclescheme closes tonight for another year…
    If I’d had more time, who knows what irrational purchases I would have made – maybe next year!

ourmaninthenorth

brakes – on the contrary. Get yourself a voucher and buy something *useful*.

BigDummy
    Free Member

In all seriousness, certainly for my life, the Dummy has been the most rational bicycle purchase I’ve ever made.

😀

AdamM
    Free Member

Jon (BigDummy) describes the use of a utility bike very elegantly. Basically, as I see it (although I don’t own one yet) it takes away most of the reasons for owning a car on a day-to-day basis, subject to the distances you need to travel. And while you can manage a lot of what a utility bike can do with panniers and a rucksack, it’s a lot less comfortable and probably more effort than with a utility bike.

Oh, and while the Yuba is a steel frame, it has slotted dropouts and very thick frame tubes so getting a disc mount in there may be ‘interesting’. I guess you might be lucky and be able to fit one if it is spaced for a 203mm rotor, assuming there is enough space in the frame for a rotor that big. You’ll need to modify the forks as well. Oh, and the BD also has rack mounts on the fork and bottle cage mounts on the frame, both of which are missing on the Yuba. By this point I’m starting to look at the Big Dummy as a more sensible long term option despite the greater upfront cost.

miketually
    Free Member

Like Jon, I don’t drive. My wife does, so getting things like sacks of chicken food and the weekly shop generally fall to her. Getting a Yuba is going to make it possible for me to do this.

I’m sure that I won’t need the capacity 90% of the time, but I need to get a sensible bike for commuting anyway (using my Inbred and Solitude has basically ruined both of them) and the cargo capacity isn’t going to get in the way when it’s not being used.

If I could, I’d get a Big Dummy, but it’s twice as expensive as a Yuba Mundo and I’m a cheapskate 🙂 The lack of disk mounts doesn’t bother me for both cheapskate and Luddite reasons.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think for what it’s worth that discs are not essential. If you lived at the bottom of a steep hill or something that would be one thing, but these bikes encourage sonme fairly conservative riding. You tend not to cane into corners and scrub speed at the last second! 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Commuting has ruined my winter trainer. And so, I propose to buy a road fixed for next winter. And a cross bike for racing next season. And a cargo bike.

Having recently bought a track bike, with those additions I would be up to 8 bikes. OMG. 😯

BigDummy
    Free Member

Singlespeed Dummy-Cross. You know it makes sense… 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

Jon’s Flickr set

Surly

Xtracycle

Pertinent links and a piccy for those stumbling across what may almost be an informative thread.

😀

AdamM
    Free Member

I agree with Jon, disc brakes are not essential.

Although for me, they align quite nicely with my desire for a internally geared hub and full length ‘guards for minimal maintenance to go with the cargo hauling.

miketually
    Free Member

It can carry kids too 😀

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

*Wanders in late to the party*

Xtracycle user here (inspired after seeing BD’s)

I’ll admit I don’t use it everyday, but it is soooo useful. Does all the things BD says it does. Mine is on an old Trek frame and is, I will admit, a bit flexy, but is all adds to the charm. I’ve transported all sorts on with mine, for reference, below is what I’d consider a ‘small’ load

24 cans of wife beater this side and..

3 wine boxes this side

and both sides.

Click the first pic for more pics of the build.

It’s something of a conversation piece too – lots of people ask about it.
    Braking is courtesy of normal V’s (XT) and it’s fine.

I’d recommend one anyday – a very sensible purchase that pays for itself by allowing me to go do stuff that I’d normally use the car for.

miketually
    Free Member

24 cans of wife beater this side and..

3 wine boxes this side

Didn’t BD have a theory that Xtracycles are mainly for carrying boxes of Stella?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I reckon you could get 4 crates either side and another 4 crates on top. That’s 12 crates in all, ‘pose it’d weigh a bit!

Stoner
    Free Member

I am now convinced of what my redundant Inbred is going to become.
    Now Im just planning a small “bike garage” at the front of the house for a bike and Jrs trailer, but by the time I build it I might as well use an extra cycle and kid seat for the weekly shop….

fantastic.

Stoner
    Free Member

Oh god, I just priced it up and its not a lot of money…
    Better speak to the wife 🙂

Just need to build a nexus/alfine into a big rim and ive got pretty much all I need! Eeek!

AdamM
    Free Member

Stoner, that’s what I’m intending to do with my Love/Hate. Xtracycle kit plus a steel rigid fork and an Alfine rear wheel. EBB for chain tension, job’s a good ‘un. 😀

DO IT!!!

Stoner
    Free Member

I didnt know a love/hate had an EBB.

Ill just use a spare tensioner.
    Forgot I need to get a steel fork too…..

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’ve got bouncy forks on mine (‘cos they were in the garage) and they work OK

Stoner
    Free Member

bouncy/rigid isnt the problem.
    Its that the Stoner fleet is now entirely 29er except for the redundant Inbred hanging on the wall 🙂

mocha
    Free Member

Disc brakes may not be essential but my Dummy weighs 48lb without any cargo – it’ll carry 190kg including me. I love the cable discs on it – even more now there are 203 rotors on there. Bit like a tandem really – v’s don’t really cut it if you want to stop sharpish.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Mocha. We demand pictures of your Big Dummy. Sort it. Unless you were Sheffy on the old site? In which case please repost.

😀

I’ve not weighed mine. I’d have guessed 45-50…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’m coming round to the idea of discs on a commuter. I always thought it complete overkill, when the cantis on my commuter/CX/winter hack/tourer bike work so well.

But I’ve turned the rims concave in about a year and I have to change brake pads every month in the winter. OK I’d have to change pads, but it takes less time than faffing with cantis, is less filthy dirty and wouldn’t have to occur so often.

For that reason, my bigdummy will have discs.

So far there are two buttons in the bigdummy saving pot.

AdamM
    Free Member

I’m coming round to the idea of discs on a commuter. I always thought it complete overkill, when the cantis on my commuter/CX/winter hack/tourer bike work so well.

But I’ve turned the rims concave in about a year and I have to change brake pads every month in the winter. OK I’d have to change pads, but it takes less time than faffing with cantis, is less filthy dirty and wouldn’t have to occur so often.

Yep, same thing happened for me, henve why my fixed wheel commuter has a disc brake on the front wheel. Low maintenance for the win!

I would like a Big Dummy, but will almost certainly start with an Xtracycle.

Mocha. We demand pictures of your Big Dummy. Sort it. Unless you were Sheffy on the old site? In which case please repost.

+1. Get those pictures up here. 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

The (48 spoke) wheels are in motion for getting a Yuba Mundo 🙂

Now the important question: Kawasaki Green or Carrot Orange?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 234 total)

The topic ‘One for BigDummy – utility bike content’ is closed to new replies.