Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • One Day Like This – best song for AGES!
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Elbow’s One Day Like This has just shuffled onto iTunes, the Sun is shining and even work can’t get me down.

I’ve been a fan of Elbow for some years but whenever I hear this tune I realise it is something special that doesn’t come along that often. Anyone with me?

jimster
    Free Member

Anyone know what the rest of the album’s like?

Really fancy getting it but am fearful that this is the best of it.

mudshark
    Free Member

This has been making me smile recently:

Sparks

shaunthesheep
    Free Member

!00% with you on this one stilltortoise

Saw Elbow play Bristol Spring 2008 and managed to hear this tune for the first time live, before buying the album. Guy Garvey had to teach the crowd the words for the sing-a-long! Have seen footage of the reaction they had at Glasto for this song too. Special indeed.

STS

kimbers

there are 3 or 4 outstanding songs, the rest is a bit mleh

but thats the case with many albums i guess

IanMunro
    Free Member

Anyone know what the rest of the album’s like?
    Bit of a dissapoint imo (but obviously music tastes vary enomously!)
    It reminded me of the verve’s ‘Urban Hymns’ where you have have a couple of great songs then quite a few mediocre songs. But plenty of people love both albums so you’ll either think it’s fantastic, or you won’t 🙂

Pook
    stilltortoise
    Free Member

The rest of the album is ace. Granted One Day Like This is the track that non-Elbow fans will love the most I guess, but if you have heard and liked other elbow stuff then you won’t be disappointed. Personally I think Leaders of the Free World is their best and most uplifting album for the “newbie”.

Stoner
    Free Member

Its a great album, and Grounds for Divorce, One Day Like This and The Fix are my favourite tracks.

Station Approach is my fav track of all (off leaders of the freeworld)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

second that Stoner, although Scattered Black & Whites runs it close

franki
    Free Member

It’s not a favourite track off the album, a bit radio-friendly for me, but it’s great nonetheless.
    My fave is The Lonelines Of A Tower Crane Driver, but love all of it.

I’ve been a fan of Elbow since the first album and I’m glad they are finally getting the recognition they deserve.
    Seen them five times , supporting the release of the last three albums and they’ve never been less than outstanding.
    The missus and I met Guy Garvey at the release party in Brum for the CD & DVD of Leaders Of The Free World and he seems genuinely a sound fella. (Not to mention incredibly talented songwriter.)
    Not many bands have moved me to tears (in a good way!) but several Elbow songs have done.

The first time I saw them play Newborn live was probably the most incredible experience I’ve ever had wantching a live band.

Scattered Black and Whites, Puncture Repair, Newborn, Mirrorball, Station Approach, Forget Myself, Switching Off, Fugitive Motel, Starlings, Grace Under Pressure…off the top of my head – so many stunning songs.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Saw Elbow live a few years ago, headlining Leicester Summer Sundae festival and they were absolutely brilliant. On the flipside, when they supported Muse at the MEN some years before that they were very average. Interesting how indoor arenas and stadia can make some bands sound awful

CountZero

Elbow are probably my favourite band, although I love so many bands and singers I hate to be tied to one ‘favourite’. I started at Asleep At The Back and have loved every album since. I’ve seen them five times, and they’re a top band live.
    Jimster, I would suggest starting with the first album and buy all of them, you can find them pretty cheap most places, and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with any of them. Red, Newborn, Fugitive Motel, Starlings, One Day Like This…
    There are just SO many good songs from this band, and Guy has such a warm, emotive voice. I just never tire of Elbow, they have a nack for writing stadium filling songs that are still intimate.

jonb
    Free Member

You know you can listen to this albumn and millions more for free legally on spotify??

nickc

Prefer Cast of Thousands over Seldom Seen Kid. Both cracking albums though

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘One Day Like This – best song for AGES!’ is closed to new replies.