Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • One day in Whistler – what to do ?
  • jiff
    Free Member

Mrs J is planning next year's holiday and it's currently looking like Canada in September. It'll be fly/drive and I've managed to convince her of the beautiful scenery and general abundance of things to see & do that make Whistler a 'must'.
    As ever, this is where I turn to STW for help:
    1. – is there really that much to do around Whistler for Mrs J once I've cleared off mountain biking for the day
    2. – recommendations for a full one day's worth of mountain biking (XC, not hardcore downhill please)
    3. – any recommendations for decent hotels in the area (middle of the road type stuff)
    4. – preferred bike rental shops in the area
    5. – top tips to help me break the good news to Mrs J for my real reason for including Whistler (she don't do biking !…)

Thanks all.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Er, whistle?

swiss
    Free Member

i managed to get a day in whistler while on my honeymoon, i hired a bike from a shop at the foot of the bike park and got a day pass for the lift.im not a downhill rider, but had a good time.

bruk

It's a reasonably sized town with loads of hotels for the winter season, bound to be able to book her in for a spa day at 1 of the hotels.

We stayed in some condos last year just 5 min walk from town centre (Tantalus Lodge) when snowboarding and that might free up more budget for sending your wife to the Fairmont Chateau or Four Seasons spas!

benjag
    Free Member

A-line.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I don't know what your plans are but I wouldn't get too fixated on Whistler for mountain biking. Plenty of other good spots so if Whistler is a bit of a detour then other places may be as good – especially for XC type stuff. They might also be slightly more discrete in a "Oh look dear; theres a bike hire place; do you mind if I rent one for a couple of hours?" kind of way. You are unlikely to be able to just accidentaly stumble on biking at Whistler.

Having said that good fun can be had by renting a bike from the places at the bottom of the hill and spending some time in the bike park. For a more XC orientated area the Lost Lake trails are excellent and would keep you entertained for most of day.

My only (may be obvious) piece of advice is to check that what ever bike you rent you can switch the brakes round on. Mid-way down A-line is not the place to discover the brakes are reversed.

I think (but don't know) that you can do kayaking on the lake shore amongst other activities. There is always hiking and (again not sure) I think you can take the lifts up in summer and walk around from the top?

On a separate note: Canadian distances are big so if you're fly driving don't plan on going too far at any one time. Speed limit in National parks is 90 km/h ; most locals do 100; outside of parks 115 is probably realistic.

brakes
    Free Member

in BC we got overtaken by a logging truck (without logs) doing 120 kph uphill

Mugboo

On a memorable journey to Kelowna at 3am in heavy snow those big rigs are still doing 120 plus.
    Turns out compacted snow is nice to drive on! Its the slushy bits before and after snow that are hell…

xc4pot
    Free Member

I live there so:

1. lots to do in whistler if you dont ride bikes, mostly outdoorsy type stuff (climbing, hiking, canoe) or a spa is the best option if you dont like outside, and in semptember the weather can be a bit hit or miss, its snows almost every month of the year on the mountains.
    2. as for a full days ride, depends some epics like comfortably numb (but its not that sensbile to ride it solo), or get a trail map and ask for some fun trails to hit. (or ask me and i shall take you out for a ride)
    3. decent hotels, the new Aava is nice, or expedia it and find whos got the best deals on, avoid the nita lake lodge and legends in the summer, they are in creekside and not much happens there.
    4. Best bike rentals, Evolution or Fanatykco but its worth pre-booking for nicer xc rentals
    5. Suprise her with a day at the spa and run to the bikes before she realises whats going on!

hitman
    Free Member

sorry to hijack the thread but xc4pot, could you recommend anywhere I could rent a room or very small apartment for myself in Whistler last week July and whole of August?
    cheers 🙂

dab

float plane from the green lake over black comb glacier

jet boating

those 2 were cheap(ish) and fun

enjoy

walleater

If you've only got one day in Whistler, then it's a waste riding the Lost Lake trails as you might as well be in Wales. Good trails but….
    As for doing something like Comfortably Numb, I've only ever done the CN / Young Lust loop as spending 4 hours doing some meandering uphill with no really good descent at the end, and hardly any viewpoints just doesn't appeal, even if the trail is 'epic'.

Personally, I'd put any possible prejudices aside and just hit the Bike Park if you've only got a day. Awesome views and a good selection of trails, ranging from super easy (think narrow fireroad) to fairly gnarly. Sure there's better riding in other areas of BC and with less Pyjama Party escapees, but for a fun day then you can't beat the Park.

markgraylish
    Free Member

If you are doing a fly/drive, what other spots are you hitting?
    As has been said above, for one day in Whistler you'd be better off hitting the bike park but there may be good opportunities for epic XC in other areas…
    (Granted, logistics and bike rental may be more difficult outside of Whistler)

jiff
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    xc4pot I'll be in touch re: your v kind offer as we'll be all around the BC area for the hols.
    Bad news though – Mrs J has just seen me replying and my ruse has been rumbled. Good news – am still permitted to go and play !.
    Now need to work on how to squeeze in another few days in the saddle ……

sparkywalts
    Free Member

I am going to be in whistler for most of the season as a mountain bike guide.

If you want some guided tours of pemberton, squamish, north shore or whistler we can do that for you. Check out http://www.ticket2ridebc.com

Hope that helps

Highlandlogger
    Free Member

I had a 'day' in Whistler last year

XC with a guide (head to Emerald) am, swapped hire bikes then…

DH 1/2 day lift pass pm

You will enjoy it

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘One day in Whistler – what to do ?’ is closed to new replies.