Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • One day car insurance
  • chrisdw
    Free Member

Right. Hoping someone will be able to help.

Got my car pre checked for MOT. Insurance has expired. It won’t pass next MOT without quite a lot of money spending on it. Its a cheap old car with a few niggly problems anyway.

So its parked on my drive. Still got MOT and tax. But im likely to need to drive it to get rid if it, be it scrap or PX.

I tried googling one day inurance but lots of them say minimum vehicle value is 1k. I could get it picked up by a scrap car company but they are offering about 200% less than if i take it to a scrap metal buyer.

Any advice will be appreciated!

AdamW
    Free Member

Get a mate to tow it to the scrap merchant?

trail_rat
    Free Member

well first up if its taxed it needs to be insured or sorned.

cost of insurance will be near as damn your difference in scrap value.

easiest way to get rid if its a resonably popular motor – stick an honest advert up on ebay with plenty pictures

wwaswas

if it still has mot and tax then a friend can drive it on their policy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

stil needs to be insured for that adam – uunless its on a propper car transporter trailer (not a solid bar or dolly)

no they cant waswas – car needs its own policy inforce for that to work and for the friend to have the right type of policy

nickjb
    Free Member

stick an honest advert up on ebay with plenty pictures

+1 You’ll get more money and there’s very little for you to do

njee20
    Free Member

Agree with eBay

chrisdw
    Free Member

Cheers for advice re SORN. Didn’t know that! Will sort that this evening.

Might give eBay a try then. Auction or classified ad?

trail_rat
    Free Member

depends on the car.

most cars id stick it on a classifieds for what ever the value youll get if you drove it to scrap was.

if its something not special but that the vag boys will go mad over – folks seem to spend crazy money on old scrappy golfs (and i dont mean ratlook i mean ****) keeping them on the road then id put it on auction.

either way once they have paid its their issue to transport it

chrisdw
    Free Member

Its a 2001 Skoda Fabia hatchback 1.4 petrol

TheFlyingOx

I tried googling one day inurance but lots of them say minimum vehicle value is 1k.

I just bought a wee shed to run about in yesterday, and the dealer did me 24hr drive away insurance from Aviva. Took about 5 minutes online, no need to speak to anyone, so just value it at £1k and you’re away.

nixie

If it won’t pass an MOT then it shouldn’t be driven even if the previous MOT is still ‘valid’. Remember an MOT test is only a certificate that the car was road worthy at time of test, it still needs to be maintained in an MOT’able state between test to be road legal.

sandwicheater

Just say it’s worth £1,000.

Done.

Northwind

<this might all be bollocks but> would it be realistic to take out a standard policy, ie full year, then cancel it after a day? You usually get cooling off periods etc with insurance but I don’t know what the motor insurance position is.

edlong
    Free Member

It won’t pass next MOT without quite a lot of money spending on it.

What nixie said ^^ if the car is unroadworthy, and you know that, you’d be breaking the law (and being bloody stupid) if you drove it, regardless of insurance arrangements.

Rich_s

stil needs to be insured for that adam – uunless its on a propper car transporter trailer (not a solid bar or dolly

Nope. There’s no cover for the car itself, but third party liability would be fine.

no they cant waswas – car needs its own policy inforce for that to work

Not necessarily correct. Depends on…

and for the friend to have the right type of policy

Yup.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘One day car insurance’ is closed to new replies.