Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • One bike for everything… yes I know it's been asked before
  • mlbaker
    Free Member

Accepting some compromise can people suggest a frame that is the ideal jack of all trades, specifically:

Commuting- daily
    BMX tracks- weekly
    Skate parks- weekly in the winter
    General mtb riding- quarterly
    XC racing- never!
    DH/ Enduro racing- once a year

I’d like changeable drop outs for SS
    26/650 compatibility?
    Geo to suit 120mm of good travel

oliverracing

mlbaker
    Free Member

LOL

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you get something that is “nice” for a couple of those it would be crap for others. Whats the budget?

Trail HT that you can commute on.
    BMX
    Hire an Enduro bike for a day

VanHalen

Dialled PA. 16 or 14″ depending on your size.

26″ only though.

DMR are releasing a mew trailstar which might be a winner. or even an old trailstar with swopout dropouts.

rocketman
    Free Member

this is a wind-up

benp1

How far do you commute? And how much are you willing to accept a compromise for this?

How much are you willing to have to ‘tweak’ it for another task, however defined

mlbaker
    Free Member

Budget is modest but willing to invest in quality i.e. £500 for a frame

Commute is 6miles and happy to compromise on this area; commute offers lots of options for smiles: stairs, offroad bits etc.

As for tweaking having 2 wheel sets would be ok.

Whens the new trailstar out?

vincienup
    Free Member

Mk 2 or Mk3 Santa Cruz Chameleon.

Job done.

poah
    Free Member

I have two bikes, an MTB and a BMX, that I use for everything. just swap tyres for communting

smatkins1
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Chameleon.

Job done.

This! You could even take it XC racing!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

45660b?

456evo? (carbon?)

Plenty of hardcore hardtails will do exactly what you want. Just find some forks that can be wound right down, I used to ride BMX tracks on my trailstar and it was best with the forks locked down to 30mm.

Infact, if BMX tracks and skateparks are the main uses, Have a look at old Atomlab trailpimps and G.I. frames on ebay, they’ll only just take a 2.1″ tyre which comprimises DH, but if that’s only a few times a year it’ll be fine. That and a pair of Pikes spaced down to 100mm.

chrisdw
    Free Member

timmys

Stanton Sherpa

I think it’s 26″/650b brothers are more relevant given the overall brief. I’d be tempted to suggest a Slackline or Switchback with some dual position RCT3 Pikes to give you lots of travel/compression adaptability.

duckeee
    Free Member

Dartmoor Hornet/Primal, Bfe or 456\4560b gets my vote.
    All pretty cheap so can get a second set of wheels\tyres to commute on.
    Personally have a 456 for pretty much the same purpose and does the job admirably.

sazter

Was about to suggest Dartmoor Hornet, and two sets of wheels

benji
    Free Member

time for a fat bike 🙂

lardman
    Free Member

I have a frame/bike for sale which does all of those things pretty well
    I have been using it with different wheels to work offroad/commute/ etc:

Mountain Cycle Rumble:
    lazy link to Ad here

Dirt jump/commute/MTB/skatepark/650b/26″/SS/geared/you name it.

munrobiker
    Free Member

If it’s a hardtail the correct answer is an Evil Sovereign. They really were designed with all of this in mind- I took mine to the skate park, took it up massive mountains, down DH tracks, did Sleepless in the Saddle on it. If you ran it with a set of travel adjust forks it would genuinely do everything. The logo on the top tube used to be a building and a tree for this reason.

Current one is 650b, but if you got hold of a set of the older style dropouts with two axle slots you can even stick in 24″ wheels with only a move of the brake mount for the BMX track. Singlespeedable too.

lardman
    Free Member

Geo for travel is suited to a 140-150mm fork.
    Headtube is 1-1/8th however… but i have two different forks which would fit.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

time for a fat bike

Awesome though it is, I’d be bloomin difficult at a BMX track as anything other than a novelty.

Surely the £500 budget would buy a low/mid priced BMX and a 456 frame?

cloudnine
    Free Member

You need 3 bikes..
    A cx / road bike for commute and light xc
    160mm FS bike for trails, enduro, light dh
    Horizontal drop out play ht for bmx and park

Stevet1
    Free Member

I agree with munrobiker.

mlbaker
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, the Sovereign looks like a prime candidate.

Other bikes I’d seen are the NS Surge or Identiti AKA

stevemorg2

I’ve used my BFe for bikepacking trips, commuting and trail centres – currently has a 120mm fork float and it does it all well.

munrobiker
    Free Member

mlbaker- everyone that rode my old Sovereign bought one. Except those who couldn’t afford one, who bought Surges.

mlbaker
    Free Member

munrobiker- why did Evil stop making!? I’ll have to start searching ebay…

AlexSimon

They still make the Sov. Can’t understand why they make it difficult to see on their website.
    This is their photo from Oct last year:
    https://www.facebook.com/EvilBikes/photos/pb.56838605952.-2207520000.1431437559./10152807550845953/?type=3&theater

Whether Silverfish bring them in is another question. They aren’t on their website.

cokie

Santa Cruz Chameleon is probably as close as you’ll get.
    It’s light but can still handle long and short forks and has the dropout versatility.

jamesfts
    Free Member

+1 for a Chameleon.

Pretty much the ultimate do it all frame, most of the ‘hardcore’ hardtails suggested will be a bit on the slack side for bmx/park stuff

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘One bike for everything… yes I know it's been asked before’ is closed to new replies.