Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Once and for all – Soul or PA
  • rj
    Free Member

So, I’ve just started a new job (thanks to my previous lot making me redundant on Christmas eve – nice touch). Anyhow, they do the ride to work thing and while I’m unlikely to commute the 55 miles each way by bike, that’s no reason not to avail myself. I’ve ridden the Soul before and like it a lot. I’ll be having another go at the demo day at GT in April. Never ridden a Pa, but it’s the obvious alternative; heavier, but stronger and cheaper. Given that there’s an icecube’s chance in hell of demoing a PA, do I pay the extra for the (excellent) Soul, or take a punt on a PA? If it makes any difference I’ve got a Fox Float 140 that’ll be going on it (I’d space it down to 120 for the Soul).

miketually
    Free Member

They’re quite different bikes, aren’t they?

terrahawk
    Free Member

they are quite different.

I guess it just comes down to how baggy your shorts are. Or something.

rj
    Free Member

In as much as they both (allegedly) go up pretty well and descend better, are both steel, will both take a 100-130 fork, I don’t reckon it’s a bad comparison. I’m leaning towards the Soul as I have a Meta 5 for the times where my skill level isn’t up to it, but I’ve always been strangely intrigued by the PA.

rj
    Free Member

Oh, and my shorts are [ ] this baggy.

Jimbo
    Free Member

It appears Satan’s barmen are now asking if you want ice with your coke.

http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk/demo.htm

rj
    Free Member

I could buy a PA for less than it would cost me to get to Surrey, but I thank you for pointing it out nonetheless. Now If Dialled could just send a small demo PA to my LBS…

Jamie
    Free Member

Might be worth putting a post up seeing if their is anyone local to you who could help a brother out?

forge197
    Free Member

I’d get the PA they are very good.

rOcKeTdOg

i’ve ridden both, i have a P.A., soul for all day and racing smakes, P.A. for all day with cake and having fun rather than ‘winning’

zokes
    Free Member

I dunno RD, I’ve never been one for ‘winning’ and always one for cakes, and am very happy with my soul. Descends almost as well as the full sus it replaced….

freeandsingle
    Free Member

Love my soul, didn’t really like my Love/Hate, not much help eh? 🙁

james
    Free Member

“a Pa, but it’s the obvious alternative; heavier, but stronger and cheaper”

I would’ve thought a pipedream sirrus was maybe closer to a soul. Lighter, more flexy, about the same (or cheaper – not sure if they went up) than a PA and take 120-130mm forks

cheers_drive

If it’s any help I have a Meta 5 and got a PA last year to make local riding in the woods more interesting (the Meta just flattens everything and is a little cumbersome on the tight twisty stuff). The PA fits the bill perfectly, and I often take it to Wales instead of the Meta.I run it as a 1×9 and it comes in at 27lb, so it’s not that lardy.

smell_it
    Free Member

Recently traded down my mtb’s, from a PA and SC Superlight to one bike, and went for a Soul and I’ve no regrets on the choice. Don’t miss either the PA or the Superlight and love the Soul, for my riding round the peak and the odd trail center I just find it ideal. But that’s just me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Once and for all – Soul or PA’ is closed to new replies.