Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • on-one/planet-x. Are they taking the p*ss?
    Free Member

Hi.

I just bought this: http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BRFOR1X/formula-r1x-disc-brakeset

It arrived today, happy says I. Opening up the bag, there’s 2x rear brakes (dude i spoke to suggests that’s probably how the manufacturer sends them) … ad says 1x 150cm and 1x 85cm hose.

What say ye?

lerk
    Free Member

Does it come with a spare olive asks I?

I could see the issue if they sent you two short hoses, but as ambidextrous levers there is no such thing as front and rear…

Free Member

agreed about no ‘front and rear’ levers, but there aren’t any additional olives/banjo’s / whatever else needed to shorten the hose.

i don’t mind buying a bleed kit, it’ll be useful to have.

it’s a pretty good deal on a set of brakes i think, but buying the other bits, seems less of a good deal.

Northwind

Yes, they’re taking the piss. They’re on one, it’s what they do. But as above, it’s just hose length. You don’t need to replace the banjos or inserty doofers, you just need a new olive, all the other parts are reusable.

Looks like a good deal for those tbh. Formula’s X brakes are parts bin specials, some of them are just stupid, cheap levers with expensive calipers and that… But that’s a proper R1 lever just on a cheaper caliper, should be good. R1’s an xc race brake but very allround usable despite that.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

We’re they in separate bags? If so the picker has taken 2 rears out of the item location so you need to feel sorry for the next buyer who will get 2 fronts with hoses too short which is not fixable easily. I’m always nervous about buying anything with a stock level under 10 as they will either not have it or the remaining stock will have been robbed to fix another issue. It’s normal to shorten either front or rear hoses but not sending olives is a bit crap.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

On a brake related theme, I hope that those with Shimano Saint or Hope brakes are taking full advantage of their pad offer. Sintered for £2.99 a pair or 4 pairs for £19.99 thinking of moving to Hope on the strength of it 😀

gears_suck
    Free Member

My understanding of front and rear is, “Front and rear.”
    This is what the web site advertised…

These are sold as front and rear pairs.

All alloy construction
    85cm and 150 cables
    Pads: Semi-metallic
    Typical Weight 337g,
    If this isn’t what you got, you didn’t get what you payed for.
    They’re crap anyway, I’d send them back and get some XT.

Dark-Side

These are sold as front and rear pairs.
    All alloy construction
    85cm and 150 cables
    Pads: Semi-metallic
    Typical Weight 337g,

Is that description even for the R1X? The rest of the blurb refers to the Formula C1 brake.

gears_suck
    Free Member

The OP said, I just bought this: and I followed the link. I’m not vetting the Web site, only relaying what it says.

br
    Free Member

So the only issue is that they sent you two rears rather than a front and a rear?

Contact them and ask for the front, send back the rear or just shorten one of the hoses to the length you need…

mattsccm
    Free Member

You do wonder at times don’t you?
    A mate went into their shop last week to get me some pedals. Box was taken out of a locked cabinet.
    When we opened the box on Saturday it was obvious that the pedals had been at the very least tested going by the cleat marks all over them. More annoyingly there was only 1 cleat. Grr.
    Don’t now their response yet as my mate is doing the chasing.

twisty

My last couple of orders were mis-picked, and there is quite a bit of chatter on here about issues with them – now I am abroad I’m not going to take the risk of ordering through them as returning stuff would be even more hassle.

I don’t quite understand what has happened to them – maybe they’ve gone like sports direct and started to pretend the pay the workers so the workers are pretending to work.

Northwind

TBF they’ve been rubbish for ages; the website was always wrong and they always mispicked or misadvertised items, it’s just that they used to get an easier ride because of generally good customer satisfaction, Brant’s lifesavers on here etc. But now they’ve burned most of that so instead of going “lol, good old on one with their chaos, what a bunch of characters” we go “****ing on one, same old shit”

Not sure if they consciously decided to burn their reputation up, or whether they just thought it’d never run out, though.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Yep, Northwind.

People put up with it as well, I think, as the frames were such good value. Inbred etc. had cult-like status and were incredible value as well as great riding. It took me 3 goes last year to get the correct tyres posted out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘on-one/planet-x. Are they taking the p*ss?’ is closed to new replies.