Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • On-One Whippet Fork Query
  • Stevo210
    Free Member

Just in the process of building up a Whippet. I’d like to run a 100mm fork to keep it fast as my other bike is a Rush 120 full suss, so I’m aiming for something a little different. But I don’t want it to be super restrictive.

Questions are, will the 100mm fork limit me so much that it’ll try and throw me over the bars at the first sign of a kurb.

Will running 120mm be a noticeable difference and not do the frame justice? Do they just ride better at 100 (as that’s the recommended length)

Go 100mm and raise the stem stack 20mm, or doesn’t it work like that?

Just after any experiences with running both types of fork, and what stem stack height etc etc.

Thanks in advance.

andyl
    Free Member

100mm is probably best all round and if you intend to race it.

120mm if you want to sacrifice a bit of responsiveness for a bit more confidence going down rocky stuff.

Choose the fork travel to suit what you want to do with the bike – within the limits of the frame design (angles and rated length for strength) and then adjust your bar position to what suits you which includes stem length, spacers, bar rise etc.

you can often get 120mm forks and space them down to 100mm but check before you buy them.

teasel
    Free Member

What about a Reba 120 RL. You could pivot between the two that way. Cheap at Merlin at the moment…

Stevo210
    Free Member

100mm is probably best all round and if you intend to race it.

Not race as such but I do like local challenges. The terrain is more vertical Tarmac than breath zapping downhills.

The internal fork adjustment may be something to consider, if it isn’t a aftermarket fortune.

I’ve looked at the Reba’s but I’d thought I’d try and build this into a bit a weight weenie, possible SIDS.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Had looked at some Sid RLT pushloc, but have heard these aren’t compression adjustable, anyone know if that’s the case? Should these be avoided maybe. Running a Fox 120 RLC and I like the compression damping.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘On-One Whippet Fork Query’ is closed to new replies.