Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • On One Twelfty seatpost?
  • Robespierre
    Free Member

Need a layback seatpost for the 456 and the minimum I can get a Thomson for is £60. On one do the twelfty for £35…machined out of a solid billet like the Thomson, looks a bit odd. Anyone know if they are any good?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Very good bit of kit. well made light and keeps your arse off the back wheel.

spacehopper

not a fan of mine…
    find it very stiff and had problems with the bolts loosening too when i got it originally and have to do them up very tight and use loctite

theres also not quite enough layback for me on my Meta 5 so the clamps rub on the plastic body of my seat and squeak..

waiting for the ragley spike to finally land to replace it… as it seems a much better design without the opposing bolts of the twelfty

best seatpost ive ever owned is a Kore i got on ebay for £3..

skyhigh_71

Twefty very good, strong and good value, recommended.

cp

very well made, work brilliantly. I have mine fairly long (I'm 6ft) in an 18inch 456, and it's not harsh at all – in fact quite comfy I thought compared to the previous raceface post I had.

the minimum I can get a Thomson for is £60

have you seen the 27.2 tomsons going for £48.99 on on-one?

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_27_2mm_404.html

Robespierre
    Free Member

cp, I have seen the Thomson's on the on one site but they are the non-layback models. I'm pretty sure I need a layback post because of my short stem.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You can get FSA and Control Tech posts from CRC for not very much cash as well. FSA stuff is solid as a rock, IME 🙂

theboatman
    Free Member

Robespierre – I've got a layback thomson in excellent nick, that you could have for the price of the twelfty, mail me if you are interested.

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

Regarding your reasons for getting a layback post, it's not all about cockpit length. When each crank is at 3 o'clock your knee needs to be inline or slightly ahead of the ball of your foot if I recall correctly. So too much layback could cause knee pain.

Back to the original topic, I've had a Twelfty for over five years and it's great. Sure the anodising hasn't lasted as well as that on a similarly aged Thomson but other than that it's fit and forget.

Each year I strip and clean the post and that stops it creaking for another 11 months and value for money is great.

For reference the Twelfty has 12mm layback and the Thomson 16mm.

Robespierre
    Free Member

Jimmer, I've got a Old FSA layback post at the moment that has to go because it keeps slipping (has done this on two other bikes) Layback feels right, never any knee problems although I do get a bit of backache. thanks for the comments on the Twelfty.

cp

slippage sounds weird- are you using the same clamp on each bike? QR or bolt clamp?

brant
    Free Member

When each crank is at 3 o'clock your knee needs to be inline or slightly ahead of the ball of your foot if I recall correctly.

I am afraid (to say) that you might well recall correctly, but what you recall is bollocks.

MrOvershoot

For reference the Twelfty has 12mm layback and the Thomson 16mm.

Mine had a bit more than that after a bad landing

Used it for a while on my Proto-Scandal commute bike but now using a CF one as it was a bit harsh

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

The anodising isn't great but mine has been fine for over a year so far.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘On One Twelfty seatpost?’ is closed to new replies.