Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • On One Ti29er owners from ridged to 100mm suspension?
  • Michael-B
    Free Member

Ok so I have my On One Ti29er setup with the On One ridged fork and gears and love it for what I mainly use it i.e. long rides with nothing too gnarly hopefully I will be doing just under 400km including open roads, mountain trails, coastal roads and desert tracks in over 7 day November.

What I’m thinking is making it a little less off-road marathon to more classic short travel MTB buy getting Rockshox Reba 29er Maxle set at 100mm and maybe something like Sun Ringle Charger 29er wheels with the interchangeable hubs. Is this worth doing what do people thing?

I think the On One ridged fork is 80mm suspension corrected (could be wrong there) and I was thinking of getting a 100mm suspension would that be ok? Could/Or has anyone gone up to 120mm?

I can find the geometry online now but I think it’s the same as the scandal but with a steeper seat angle from what I remember.

Clink

I would stick at max 100mm (what it’s designed for) but Stoner off here has regularly run his at 120mm with lots of sag. Certainly don’t think it’s steeper ha than the scandal.

I have run a Manitou Drake on mine and it does make a difference – but currently using Niner carbon and nice fat front tyre which I love.

Where is your ride?

Stoner
    Free Member

mornin’ all.

I have run my ti29 with 120mm on he reba dual airs. recently went back to 80mm after dirty looks from Brant once too often, and I confess it handles a fair bit better. But for barelling down a mountain, an unrefined 120mm is nice to have – have taken mine to Luchon for a week and it’s been excellent.

At the moment Im mainly riding my 21″ scandal, rigid with drops and loving it. I jumped on the ti29 the other evening and the slowness of the steering was weird – since the drops on the scandal have only a short stem.

Back at 80mm

at 120mm without my weight for sag

rigid

I might put mine back to 100mm for welsh trips since 80mm does feel a little lacking.

As for wheels I use a superstar hub that can swap between QR and 20mm.

It’s been excellent for swapping between rigid and 20mm, but now I run two bikes permanently its not such an issue. ALthough Id like to put the Gordo rim + 2.4 RR in the rigid forks, but I need to build up another 20mm wheel to do that – I have a spare XT 20mm lying around so will get round to it one day.

Here it is in the rebas

Michael-B
    Free Member

I’m currently out in the UAE but I’m lucky enough to get 44 day off a year plus there are about 13 days of national holidays so I get back to the UK a lot. Then I’m based in North Leeds.

Stoner
    Free Member

BTW – Reba A-C is 490mm @ 80mm (w/o sag) and 510mm @ 100mm (w/o sag)
    http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/08_RockShox_Axle2Crown.pdf

after sag that would be 470mm and 485mm respectively.

O-O carbon forks are 470mm A-C

Michael-B
    Free Member

Thanks for the photo’s Stoner it does look like the 120mm are a bit much for the geometry so I think 100mm would be best. what did you think of superstar hub?

Stoner
    Free Member

its very good. but not sure SS still sell it though.

EDIT: the switch is their new swappable front hub.
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=343

seems OK VFM

The XT one isnt great as I need to make (or buy) a massive (28mm) cone spanner for it to service it
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29170

Michael-B
    Free Member

Cool thinks I’ll have a look at them.

Andy

Here’s mine at 100mm. While we are on the subject anyone thought of putting one of those 1 degree anglesets on to slacken it off a bit?

Bicknoller by carlos_fandango, on Flickr

Stoner
    Free Member

I didnt think cane creek had made a 1 1/8th angleset yet.

Andy
    Michael-B
    Free Member

Now that Works Component headset does look interesting 🙂 i’m liking the idea of that with 100mm of suspension!

Clink

Would you want it slacker though? I would have thought with a degree off the ha it would slow down steering too much. Most of the new breed of 29er have a slacker ha (ie not 72, closer to 71-70 range) but also have shorter chainstays than the O-O design which makes the back end whip-around quicker. Just a thought.

triple_s

I’ve got one of those works components headsets on my ti29er, didn’t make a huge difference only tried it rigid so far. My Rebas didn’t fit, reckon they will go in with a bit of filing on the headset cup.

Not sure if it’s better, would be good to try it with sus forks.

Oh and it was a total PITA to fit, very tight took quite a few attempt and lots of swearing to get it in straight.

Andy

I would have thought with a degree off the ha it would slow down steering too much.

Just curious really. I also have a Singular Pegasus and the On One feels very tucked under compared to the Pegasus, and not the balanced ride the pegasus is. Running same forks, stem and bars on both.

My Rebas didn’t fit, reckon they will go in with a bit of filing on the headset cup.

Oh how come?

Michael-B
    Free Member

Maybe I’m wrong but I thorght a 1 degree anglesets to slacken would low down handeling just a little? I would say the 29er is quick to very quick handling as is.

Michael-B
    Free Member

Actualy just seen this on BikeRadar.com http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-on-one-scandal-xt-36545

On-One’s steeper-than-normal head angle and longer-than-normal fork offset make for quick handling. Sometimes too quick – until we got used to it we oversteered a couple of times. The Scandal despatches low-speed switchbacks with aplomb.

As speeds rise, things can get a little hairy, but you learn to work with it – that agile geometry means that you’ll be able to haul the Scandal back on track as long as you’re ready. We’d actually be a little wary of fitting a suspension fork to it.

The current crop of 29er suspension forks have similar offset to On-One’s rigid fork, and at 470mm the rigid is the same length as a static 100mm-travel fork. Dial in some sag and you’re potentially looking at something of a handful.

Now I’m a little confused. I think there wrong ant they?

Stoner
    Free Member

yep I think theyre wrong too.

The ti29er has fairly stable handling at 100mm IMO. My scandal is turning quicker ATM but I have a short stem, rigid O-O forks and drops on ATM.

We’d actually be a little wary of fitting a suspension fork to it.

I assume they mean anything that sags below 470mm A-C, which isnt that likely these days for a 29er fork.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘On One Ti29er owners from ridged to 100mm suspension?’ is closed to new replies.