Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • On One Scandal 29er – a few questions
  • NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Im going to give the 29er thing a go as i think it makes sense for my riding style and height. The On One Scandal seems a reasonable frame to go for – any reason not to go for it? My riding style is just XC – nothing 'RAD' at all.

Im 6ft 2" so im assuming the 19.5" would be best?

Also, does anyone know of any budget 29er wheels to go for?

Cheers

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

I'm 6'2" and had a 19.5" it fit ok so you should be fine. Though I have a long upper half and short legs for my height, and still only used an 80mm stem, so a 18" would probably be ok/better.

On One wheels used to be a good budget option, not sure if they still exist though.

TooTall
    Free Member

Can't think of a single reason not to get one. I love mine – builds into a great bike.

boxelder

6'4" here and a 21" frame. I reckon 19" for you. Back end is harsh compared to the 853 steel HT I've moved from. Scandal is great fun though and very capable (mine has On-One rigid forks).
    Some wheels here: but may be sold?

I got some FSA 290's SH, which seem very good – 1800g

M6TTF
    Free Member

I'm just short of 6' and got the 19.5. My inside leg is 33/34 though – I reckon I couldve happily ridden either size but I don't like the arse in the air – bars low position. I might try a slightly shorter stem though. Running 100mm toras which seem ok if a little basic. You do have to get used to feeling like you're sitting a bit higher than a 26 but they carve really well 🙂 if I was pushed I'd still pick a 26FS over it for my style of riding and the local area but it is great fun

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Any input from the day time crew?

MrTall
    Free Member

No input on the Scandal (i have an Inbred 29er) but my mate has some spesh 29er wheels off a Rockhopper 29er which he was selling for around £75? I also have those wheels but have them as spare (the Spesh is my HT, the OnOne is SS) and they were fine during the time i ran them. Good inexpensive way to get yourself rolling without shelling out too much cash.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

MrTall – interested in those wheels – will mail you shortly.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

boxelder – Have you weighed your FSA 290's, mine came in at 2000g for the pair (without QRs) which was a bit dissapointing since they claim 1800g.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I am 6ft tall and have been riding an 18" but was thinking about moving up to the 19.5" as I prefer a longer toptube with a shorter stem, it seems to quicken up the steering which some 29er owners complain about. It certainly feels better on my Large Peace9r which has a super long toptube.

boxelder

boxelder – Have you weighed your FSA 290's, mine came in at 2000g for the pair (without QRs)

I've never weighed a bike part in my life. I got mine SH and happy with them so far

MrTall
    Free Member

Boz – this is his original ad –

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-spesh-29er-wheels

He's in a caravan at the moment with his family until the weekend but i've just spoken with him and he has internet/email access via his iphone if you want to contact him. He's in Leeds but is often down in the midlands (bromsgrove area) for work and to ride with me.

Cheers

Bernaard
    Free Member

6'2" here and an 18" is spot on.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Budget wheels. I can vouch for these as being very tidy when I sold them to Paul and he's used them for maybe 2 rides.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/on-one-29er-wheels

He also has some very tidy Recon forks for sale with the steerer cur to fit a Scandal.

Great bikes by the way, for the money, unbeatable

ratadog

Another 6'2", 33inch inside leg, 19.5 frame Scandal owner here. I also went for the on-one wheel package but ditched the SB8 tyres when it got muddy and went to Panaracer Rampage instead. I use it as my ride out the gate and see where I get bike so very much general XC but it's not adverse to the easier bits of Dalby if encouraged. No complaints at all.

Only other point is that I found an 11-32 cassette a bit like hard work on the steep bits and found life easier and more comparable with my 26er with an 11-34. I think its something to do with the effect of the bigger wheel on the gearing but I am sure there will be somebody along shortly to explain the science and several people along to naysay despite being unhindered by any relevant knowledge. Shimano do make a 12-36 but for me that means ditching SRAM and replacing rear mech and shifter so I have given that a miss.

patcouser
    Free Member

I originally bought the on-one ones which were Novatech Hubs one On-One rims 32h. I then built my own on On-One rear singlespeed hub and DMR front hub and Mavic T719 rims 36h — In my opinion, its well worth the extra 4 spokes for additionally stiffness in the wheel. Im not that heavy -70kg- but they've taken a pounding no problem. The rims are great, Ive recently built up a second pair using some cheap WTB rims and they are much lower quality rim as I really couldnt get much spoke tension on them without them starting to taco out of shape. I would opt for the mavics any day. Some pics here
    The PX 32h wheels were coming out at about 1010g front and 1270g rear (cassette freehub, no cassette).
    My TN719 36h db-spokes wheels came out at 945g front(DMR revolver) and 1042g rear (On-One SS rear hub without freewheel)
    Hope this helps,
    pat

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘On One Scandal 29er – a few questions’ is closed to new replies.