• This topic has 52 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by td75.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • On One Pompino
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

Anyone riding one? I’ve a few bits and bobs lying around to be able to knock up a singlespeed CX’r and I was wondering what these were like. Do you rate yours? Pics are nice too.

DavidB
    Free Member

Yes, I rate mine massively as a winter singlespeeder off road. Been riding lots of tracks and byways in the gloop. I’ve also done 3 Peaks CX and the Dunwich Dynamo on it.

ski
    Free Member

Only bike I regret selling!

Pompino Pro by scotiedog, on Flickr

Bought it mostly to commute with, but ended up using it for everything.

Did my first road 100 with it, ssuk, all my local trails, toured with it.

Only sold it after suffering from bad health and swapped it for a geared kaffenback, which helped me get back onto a bike.

Would swap it back in a second now if I had the chance.

Great bike 🙂

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Works on Road Works off road I love mine. IF just IF I only had to have one bike I’d probably keep the Pomp…

td75
    Free Member

I’ve also been thinking / looking for a used XL pompino. What’s the biggest cross tire you could put in them?

thomthumb
    Free Member

love mine, might have to sell it though which is gutting. did my first cross race on it last weekend.

such a flexible bike;

I’ve run it fixed, 35c slicks & guards for winter. removed the guards, 28c fixed/ free and proper roady drops as a great commuter/ training bike. or changed it to cross tyres and a 42:20 gearing and raced cross on it.

at the moment i’m leaning towards holding onto it, pinching the parts for the next build and coming back to it when required…

EDIT: biggest tyre depends a little on gearing (if you play with halflinks you can get the wheel to sit in the widest part of the stays)

mine is tight with 32c sm8s (tall tyres though) but i have adjusted the chain to work with 16, 18 & 20 t rear cogs. 35c works fine on 16/ 18 set up

2orangey4crows

Sorry for the hijack, but just out of interest, what brakes and wheels are you all using on your Pomps?

fourbanger
    Free Member

It’s my go-to bike. Always works and will tackle anything. Now with Alfine 8 speed bodged in , but occasionally singlespeeded again. Front wheel was just what came with it, can’t seem to kill it.
    Brakes, I use mini v’s with Versa 8 levers, excelent stopping, but constantly adjusting pads as they need a bit more cable pull really.

thomthumb
    Free Member

what brakes and wheels

shimano canti (rubbish), avid bb5 (great)

deore front hub, on one rear, mavic cxp22 rims.

MrGrim

Mine below. That is the original picture from when I bought it from the classifieds here. It’s now in a bit more of commuter mode. It’s a great bike, and used a lot more than my Dialled PA.

matty456
    Free Member

Brilliant bike. I built mine up from frame and forks. Did it on a budget and really pleased. Started off with slicks, it’s in cx mode now ready for winter. Frogglegs cx brakes are faultless, no gearing to mess about with. Just bought my son a 2nd hand pomper f&f for his first build.
    Like father like son!:D

matty456
    Free Member

Looking to upgrade to some do it all cx wheels, any recommendations?

2orangey4crows

Thanks for sharing.

I’ve almost got enough spares to justify a new build (well… seatpost, bars, levers, cranks… that’s enough to justify a build isn’t it?).

I’m almost tempted by a Pompetamine, but HATE the fact the cable routing is under the top tube. So maybe a Pompino is on the cards if I can find some decent cantis.

play
    Free Member

DavidB – I just finished your book, i really enjoyed it.

CraigW
    Free Member

I like mine, great for commuting, audax, and just riding around, including a bit of easy off-road.
    I’ve got a Goldtec fixed hub on the rear, and a Shimano dynamo hub on the front.
    I’m using Avid V-brakes on mine, with the Tektro RL520 levers. Though I’m thinking about replacing the forks and fitting a disc brake on the front.

MrGrim

I’ve almost got enough spares to justify a new build (well… seatpost, bars, levers, cranks… that’s enough to justify a build isn’t it?).

For me a seatpost clamp is normally enough to justify a new build 🙂

2orangey4crows

Mr Grim – I already have a seat clamp too. I think that means I have to do it.

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

21092012043 by cycleofaddiction 1, on Flickr

great little do it all bike bought mine after having my mtb stolen and have been enjoying it that much i havn’t bothered getting another one not for everybody i suppose but for me i think they’r great !

fourbanger
    Free Member

Just put the singlespeed and cx tyres back on for Oktoberfest. Looking fast!

simondbarnes

Had mine for years. Love it.

Pompino by simondbarnes, on Flickr

angryratio
    Free Member

mine was a whoops purchase from ebay as an unloved frame/fork combo due to being too small for previous owner.
    I love it.
    Long road rides, offroady stuff, touring and trips to the pub.
    Done it all!
    Great fun.
    I probably love it more than my mountain bike truth be told and it’s worth bugger all.!

alexpalacefan

Damn you guys. That’s another bike on the ‘wants’ list.

APF

samuri
    Free Member

Jesus! What a great bike!

Love them.

pompino2 by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

ti-pompy by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

pompy1 by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve had more fun on a pompino than any other bike. Guaranteed.

I’ve ridden over the pennines, I’ve done 200 miles in a day, I’ve lynched group rides and left them for dead., What an ace bike.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Excellent responses 😀 I was expecting a few naysayers, gas pipey etc but its all good.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im like samuri – a HUGE fan of the pomp.

Mrs Stoner and I did some touring on a pair of them 6 years ago:
    http://pompinos.blogspot.co.uk/

Mrs Stoner still uses hers as her winter trainer. Ive pimped mine up a bit since then with some wheels I built on Open sport rims/On-One track hubs. A carbon fork and a calliper front brake. I use it for quick summer TT blasts now and occasional pub rides.

I now also have a pompetamine which Ive had for SS CX and also with a rohloff in the back for off/on-road touring etc.

http://on-ones.blogspot.co.uk

Wouldnt dream of being without them.

ackie
    Free Member

Get a 2012 Pompino if you want clearance for anything over 30mm tyres. The old ones are very tight in the rear chainstays,

andyh2
    Free Member

For those that have ridden both does the disc Pompetamine feel any different to the standard Pompino?

Stoner
    Free Member

It stops quicker.

EDIT: they are pretty much identical. I cant tell the difference. In fact it’s comforting to jump on the pompet and it feels just like the pomp that Ive done many miles on.

Paint job is good on the pompets too.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve a few bits and bobs lying around to be able to knock up a singlespeed

Me to.
    Not sure if to go Pompino or that other one that begins with an ‘M’?
    Got;
    Bars and stem
    Saddle
    Tiagra dual pivots
    Dia-Compe brake levers
    On-One ss chainset
    Some old 27×11/4 wheels that are spaced at 120mm with large flange hubs and bolt through axles, that I could re build onto 700c rims

adyp
    Free Member

I’m guessing On One don’t do much in Italy – “pompino” means “blow job” in Italian! 😳

Stoner
    Free Member

😯 *is shocked*

simondbarnes

Blimey, I never knew that

😉

cookeaa

Me to.
    Not sure if to go Pompino or that other one that begins with an ‘M’?

the macinato? they’ve got a full build going for £380 at the minute which is sort of tempting although you can get similar far eastern gas pipe fixed/free ss bikes off fleabay for under £200 at the minute.

I’m half tempted to try a Viking “Citi-Fix” for £170 odd, that’s pretty cheap IMO; just ride it into the ground through winter and see if its still alive come spring…

Saccades
    Free Member

I work with two Italian girls – I know the meaning.

Mine’s just being updated/bastardised from the piccie below.

Open pro with alfine rear, there are no alfine front hubs that are not dyno for some reason, so an XT hub with alfine disc front and deore v’s rear.

Got a 2nd hand singular disc fork to respray to go with it too, some narrow tri base bars and extension things, should be an ace all rounder.

emanuel
    Free Member

Epicyclo was the man to ask.
    I’ve got a 120mm one,built it up with a nexus 3sp and drop bars(took some doing)
    Then killed the hub and put a SA 5sp with a bar end shifter.much better now.
    I’ve got 38mm marathon racers on mine.38mm marathon supremes on the one I built up for my aunt(who lives in italy,so I covered up the name with some reflective tape).
    I’m thinking of putting a son hub on the front.
    Running it with a119 rims,nitto 46cm noodles.
    I’d like to put some nitto randonneurs on it.had midges on it before.
    it’s a nice little bike.don’t much like the decals,but that’s not so important.

tony_m
    Free Member

Another huge Pompino fan here! 🙂

Got two, a Pomp Pro with carbon forks and “normal” PX Strada drops which I run fixed and a “standard” with steel forks and Midge bars which I run singlespeed. Definitely the one (or two… ) bike(s) I wouldn’t be without!

craigxxl
    Free Member

I have the Pompetamine with the Alfine 8 speed and think they are great frames, on road or off. I had the baby blue frame in a large before but found it a touch short at my 6 feet so sold to another STW user, hope they’re happy with it. Wanted the XL in the same baby blue but wasn’t available so it was rebuilt with the white frame and forks. Wasn’t sure about the gold decals on it at first but think it looks pretty good, much better than the photo shows. Might be going soon though as I have an irritating itch for a road bike that’s going to have to be scratched and I can’t justify 3 bikes and no way is the Evil Sovereign going.

ourmaninthenorth

In spite of having sold off my fixie, I have a big pomp itch. Am going to learn wheelbuilding, which could just tip me into buying a frame and building a disc’ed SSCXer for local blasts.

Dame you all 😉

barrykellett
    Free Member

Pompino by barry_kellett99, on Flickr

Set up purely as a mile munching commuter
    Currently riding it fixed.
    Looking at all the ones set up with fat rubber and lower gearing for off the beaten track though has set my mind wandering

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘On One Pompino’ is closed to new replies.