Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • On One Midge Bars
  • LapSteel
    Free Member

Thinking about getting some of these for the road bike.
    What are they like for riding on the hoods?
    Are they mainly designed for riding in the drops?
    Any benefits over traditional drop bars?

alfabus
    Free Member

Just bought a Day One Alfine, and was wonder whether to get some more flared drops.

Dave

zigzag69
    Free Member

I like them. I replaced a set of 40cm wide standard bars with these (too narrow for me, and I wanted a bit more height for my hands and had run out of steerer to raise the stem any higher).

Riding on the hoods feels more comfortable for me than on the standard bars (a bit higher), and in the drops it feels really stable because your arms are spread that bit wider. Downsides – I think because of this you’re probably not going to be as aerodynamic than if you were using standard bars? I probably spend more time on the hoods than in the drops, although drops seems pretty comfy to me (less of a stretch).

Anyway, they worked for me, came in funky red and it’s not going to break the bank if they don’t work out.

nedrapier

What are they like for riding on the hoods?

Not that great, I have mine set so the flat of the drops is not quite horizontal, but at 90degrees to my arms, if that makes sense. with the brakes set so they’re comfy to reach in the drops, the hoods are a bit of stretch down and out.

Are they mainly designed for riding in the drops?

yes. as above, and there’s less drop from the stem, so they’re comfier for longer.

Any benefits over traditional drop bars?

Bit wider and flarey. I got them for a bit more control off road, and I quite like the position on road, but sometimes I’d like a few more positions (hoods, and more space in the crook of the bend for when you really want to get out the wind) Probably not enough to swap ehtm out though. unless I start doing some very long rides.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I’ve been running them for a week on my commuter/tourer. Replaced Nitto Randonneurs that were just too narrow.

The midge bars feel real good in the drops, I read they’re designed to be ridden mostly in the drops and it’s quite a comfortable position. Due to the angle of flare and the lever reach from the drops they are not so comfy on the hoods, but I’ve probably still got some playing around to do with the position. I’m pretty happy so far and like the wider position. Handling and control are much improved, and whilst the drop isn’t large, they still get your head down and out of the wind if needs be.

campfreddie
    Free Member

i’m running them on my rigid cannondale and i absolutely love them.

i barely ever use the drops (they are quite short in that respect), but ride all the time using the hoods.

you need to spend time setting them up with the right angles (general start point is to have the drops pointing directly at your rear drop-outs. you can also tweak the angle of the brake levers… mine are set up so there is basically no rotation in my wrists when on the hoods… very very comfy offroad (even with rigid forks).

i would advise investing in some gel pads to go beneath the tape just on the bend of the tops to the hoods (if you are riding off-road with them).

LapSteel
    Free Member

Cheers for your responses… I’ve bought some now so I’ll mess about with them when they arrive.
    Like the look of the Cannondale^^^
    Mine will be purely for road use on my Halfords virtuoso

miketually
    Free Member

Have a read of Matt Chester’s article on setting up off-road drops on 63xc.com, if you’re going to be riding proper off-road on them.

letmetalktomark

I ran a set on my Genesis iO in its commuting guise.

Very comfortable indeed.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I have a Midge bar on my Cross Check. I love them and I find the hoods quite comfortable to ride on once you get used to the position. In the drops on rough descents they work really well and feel nice and stable. In fact I was out on my touring bike last night which has conventional style road drops and it felt a bit narrow on a fast road descent.

alfabus
    Free Member

miketually – Member
    Have a read of Matt Chester’s article on setting up off-road drops on 63xc.com, if you’re going to be riding proper off-road on them.

link please, I can’t find it

Dave

tony_m
    Free Member

link please, I can’t find it

Here you go…

Matt Chester on 63xc

FWIW, this is how I had mine set up on my Pomp, using a 35° rise stem. I’ve now gone to a 17° rise – the set-up’s pretty much the same, but I’ve not got any pics that really show it.

fasthaggis

Put a set on my CX/commuter a few months ago, really like them ( once I got used to the weird sticky out levers look) 🙂

miketually
    Free Member
    smokey_jo

Another excuse to put a pic of mine up Bad Boy Monstercrosser

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Looking at others’ setups I think I might try moving my levers forward onto the bends more which should make reaching the brake from the drop easier and the hood position more comfortable.

tony_m
    Free Member

Only pic I can find of the 17° rise version is here (nearest to camera in group shot)…

http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/teams-and-riders/q/date/2011/10/20/ride-of-the-falling-rain

drofluf
    Free Member

Anyone used them with STIs?

I’m thinking of getting a set for my Peregrine which has an Alfine with Versa shifters.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Yup, use them with STIs. Fine either from on the hoods or in the drops…

alfabus
    Free Member

Anyone used them with STIs?

I’m thinking of getting a set for my Peregrine which has an Alfine with Versa shifters.

Thats exactly what I want to do on my day one alfine.

Bike hasn’t arrived yet, but it is definitely on the potential upgrade list.

It seems from reading that article (and looking at tony_m’s pictures) that the bars need to come up quite a lot further than I was expecting. I suppose that makes sense if you are aiming to ride on the drops all the time – they need to come up to be in a natural position for you.

Dave

smokey_jo

I’ve got both – Versa on my Pompetamine and Sora sti on my monstercrosser as linked to in post above. The versa shifter is quite long travel when changing up a gear compared to a normal sti and the thumb button on the Sora Sti is in the wrong place when on the drops – normal sti’s like 105 would be better IMO

birdage

Got the Midge bars with STIs on my Peregrine and they’re great. Used them for quite a while and think they excel better off-road than on, especially downhill. The only time they don’t really do it for me are longer (30 mile plus?)road rides. Start to feel a bit less confortable than conventional drops. Now if I could only sort out the toe overlap so I wasn’t in danger of coming off everytime I steer at slow speed……..

drofluf
    Free Member

Great! Thanks for the responses!

LapSteel
    Free Member

Got the bars today and fitted them…great upgrade 😀

Very comfy compared to the stock carrera bars

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘On One Midge Bars’ is closed to new replies.