• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jfeb.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • On-one mary bars -your experiences please.
  • julianwilson
    Free Member

I'm looking at wider or different shape bars for my singlespeed: the angle of the ends of a Mary looks interesting for when you are out of the saddle hauling on the bars to turn the pedals. Any good for this?

Also the website doesn't say how wide they are or how much they weigh. Oh, and I like to have my brakes fairly inboard of the grips: is there room for this before the bend?

paule
    Free Member

I liked them on everything except rocky downhills…. so if I didn't live right on the edge of the dark peak then I'd still be using them.

Very nice on twisty bits, both uphill where you get a decent bit of leverage and on downhills where it's easy to get behind the saddle.

Plenty of room for long grips and levers well in.

thomthumb
    Free Member

horrible – just way too narrow.

try salsa pro motos. 17 degrees and 710mm. ace.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I like 'em. Not very wide tho if thats what you want ( 650 mm) Light as well. Not great for controling the bike in the air as you tend to tuck your elbows down rather than out.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

9/10 from me here but the 10/10 goes to H-Bars

slugwash
    Free Member

Julian, I've got them on three of my bikes and rate them. You can pop down to Totnes and borrow a pair for a few days if you like or I can meet up with the Plympton boys for a blast around your local trails, (I missed the 24/12 again 🙁 ) and you can have a go on my Mary bars specced SS and see what you think.

jonb
    Free Member

Pretty much what paule said. I liked them till it got steep and scary which for me was dalbeattie. Then the were two narrow so I went back to wide risers.

Still use them on my commuter where they are superb. Lots of hand positions, great for standing and pumping up hills.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

just fitted a pair to my rigid SS and i love them, also have hot pink grips on them, which helps or so i keep telling myself when people ask me why

the-muffin-man

One of those 'Marmite' components – I hated them!

ton

comfiest ever on a commuter bike.
    but feel wrong offroad…………….??

brant
    Free Member

Something new coming.

http://screencast.com/t/Uzep4TCIWgc

ton

what blue marys………….no thanks…………;o)

bassspine
    Free Member

I have just fitted a pair on my SS and although I thought at first they were too narrow, they have seriously grown on me. To the extent that I may look for another pair for my geared hardtail too.

There's enough length to have the brake levers well inboard, and they do give a really nice shape for hauling hard when stood up and gurning up a hill.

miketually
    Free Member

I'm liking Mary bars on my Inbred, they make it easy to switch between my bikes as it means they all have sweepy bars:

I seem to have the same grip colour choice as Ron Jeremy.

jfeb
    Free Member

Something new coming.

What width Brant?

brant
    Free Member

Tip to tip is 685mm

tankslapper
    Free Member

I use these and like them Bontrager Big Sweeps – can't comment on Mary's or Fleagles for that matter

jfeb
    Free Member

Tip to tip is 685mm

Excellent. While we are at it, expected weight?

And is the forward sweep section longer to counter the extra backward sweep from being wider (than you-know-what bars) ie you won't need a longer stem to compensate

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘On-one mary bars -your experiences please.’ is closed to new replies.