Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • On-one inbred vs. Genesis IO
  • sumac
    Free Member

I’m deciding which of these two bikes to order. Is there any significant difference between the two? http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO26IN1SG/on-one-inbred-26er-1sg http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain/io-&-ioid/io
    which one would you go with?

thanks!
    martin

badlydrawnbiker
    Free Member

I’m guessing that there’ll be a roughly 50:50 split on opinion?
    I can only speak for the Genesis, I’ve had one since they first came out, it’s great, try as I might I can’t justify upgrading to a “better” bike. In four or so years, it’s had a few chains, new rear wheel bearings, new grips and that’s it…………
    oh sorry a few upgrades, Shimano LX brakes as it used to have single piston calipers as standard which were rubbish, and a WI freewheel due to shimano one freezing up in cold weather.
    It’s still got the original conti tyres on I’ve just realised after all those years!

taka
    Free Member

i would go with the genesis on-one are commoners muck 😉 ond that on-one wont stay white for long

kilo

They both look nice, I have an old in bred with an alfine 8 on it. My vote; IO

warpcow
    Free Member

Probably not much in it. I own, and love, an Inbred, but think the IO looks a lot nicer.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got an iO and it’s a fantastic bike, great handling and very comfortable too. Ride mine almost exclusively from when I got it in May until it snowed and the climbing got a bit tricky

HTTP404
    Free Member

I’ve had both Genesis IO and Inbred (the older one) singlespeed.

As ever the inbred has the longer top-tube but you can tune your riding position accordingly. But bear in mind the effects of a shorter stem and more central riding position. Each to their own.

Each having a splashing of own brand kit – what’s left?
    The spec of the inbred is superior to the Genesis.
    – better brakes
    – better wheels – but not single-speed specific.
    which may be no bad thing. Depends how you look at it.

And the own brand kit from on-one is always good stuff.

I don’t like the positioning of the rear brake on the inbred. I know it is supposed to have its benefits, but personally I don’t like it. The earlier inbreds didn’t have the brake mount there.

I like the cleaner lines of the Genesis frame/fork. The Genesis has a Kona P2esque fork. But that’s nit picking.

I have no complaints of the ride and handling of either bike.
    Enjoy making your decision – it’s a tough one.

sumac
    Free Member

In the end it might not be that difficult decision.. IO’s are out of stock everywhere I look..
    I was going to buy IO (I also prefer the looks of it) but since it’s not avalable I started to look for alternatives.. Inbred is about the only bike in the same price range. Good to know that you haven’t find any of those significantly better. I’ll try one more online shop for IO and if not I’ll go with inbred.
    BTW, sorry for ignorance, whats with inbred brake pisitioning?
    Thanks!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Looks like the rear brake mount is on the chainstay rather than the seatstay. Not sure what the disadvantage would be though?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I know where there’s an iO in stock, medium too I think

Bernaard
    Free Member

I have had an older Inbred and loved it.
    I now have the Genesis IO and love it just as much.
    If anything I would say the IO is a slightly harder ride, but very flexy still.
    When I got mine in L (19″) the stockist said that Genesis had stopped making them.

sumac
    Free Member

steve_b77: I need 20.5″ size (being 6’2″). do you know where I can order one?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh Haa!

I have both in the garage, so i feel very qualified to comment! To be honest an Inbred is a better bike, no question. It climbs better (longer TT helps) it’s got a stiffer rear end for out of the saddle honking and I think it’s more comfortable. On top of this the out of the box IO is heavy and sluggish. There’s simply no getting away from the fact that 26.5lb is bloody hefty for a SS. The tyres are the main culprit. Heavy and draggy. I lopped a pound off with a tyre and seatpost change. But the whole bike is a ‘bit heavy’. The wheels are a bit heavy in the rims and the plain gauge spokes. The finishing kit is perfecty functional, but all a bit weighty. The M475 brakes work well, but are heavy…. Etc

It’s the sort if bike you’ll buy and then end up changing the whole thing until only the frame us left.

The frame us fine, a good SS set up and well made. If you can buy it separate and build it up, do that and you’ll save cash in the long run. But if you can’t, get a cheap Inbred frame and get busy on the classifieds and you’ll build it up lighter and better fir probably less cash than the Genesis.

To put it into pespective with the weight, I also have an 18 year old Kona Cindercone that’s a full 4lb lighter and cost me £157. Apart from the vee brakes it wipes the floor with the Genesis.

So, having ridden both at quite some length I’d go for an Inbred every time 🙂

gearsrgood

Am selling my io – its a 19″ though. Probably going on ebay tonight.

billybob
    Free Member

That on-one is gopping.

The Genesis is much better looking.

sumac
    Free Member

PeterPoddy: seems that you’ve changed my mind! 🙂

Blower
    Free Member

hmm ive had both too…

much of a muchness,both do the job nicely,thread closed. 🙂

takisawa2

I have a slidey Inbred, love it to bits. Cant believe such a capable bike can come from such a small outlay. Is the bike of choice every time if I’m heading for Cannock Chase.
    Have tried my mates IO a few times. The IO frame is probably better finished. On-One paint isnt very good & they all show rust marks on the top-tube gusset after a while. The IO’s chaintug set-up is far better than the fiddly tensioners on the Inbred. I’ve switched to a conventional solid axle with nuts, on the rear. I can get it tight enough to do away with the tugs.
    My mate runs his small IO with Rebas, Mono Minis, XT cranks, Thomson & Easton kit. My 16″ Inbred has Pace RC40’s, Juicy 5’s & simmilar other kit. His IO is slightly lighter than mine. My mate reckons his IO rides better than his Soul. I also ran a Soul for a while & prefer the Inbred.
    You’ll not be dissapointed with either.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘On-one inbred vs. Genesis IO’ is closed to new replies.