Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • On One in bred 29er any good for bike packing and the odd XC race…?
  • krypton
    Free Member

Wondering whether to jump on the 29er bandwagon and ditch a 26″ scandal for a in bred 29er (as they’ve stopped doing scandal 29ers). It seems to be the cheapest way in and although not light should do the job. Will mostly be used on local blue / red grade trail, bit of bike packing and maybe an xc race. Anyone have any thoughts on this or recommend a lighter alternative thats still not too pricey? Cheers

mboy
    Free Member

As an ex owner of one, they’re cheap but IMO not all that cheerful.

You do get what you pay for of course, but at 6lb for the frame alone (mine was an 18″) they’re not light, and the geometry hasn’t been updated at all in line with newer standards, forks and fashions. You notice the wheel size a lot more on one than you would say newer, more up to date 29er designs.

nimo
    Free Member

I couldn’t agree less with mboy. I have had mine for about 2 years now and love it, yes it is a bit heavy but rides great. I use mine for everything from long xc rides , trail centre days and short sharp blasts. Can not be beaten for the money.
    mine is set up fully rigid , singlespeed.

Stainypants

I had 29 inch inbred and didn’t get on with it. I do own Steel and Ti 456 and an 26 inbred. To be honest a 26 Scandal sounds like the ideal bike for egat you want to do.

cp

I’d find a second hand scandal 29er, the scandals are much nicer than the inbreds.

Clink

Will mostly be used on local blue / red grade trail, bit of bike packing and maybe an xc race

IMO a 29er Scandal is spot on for what you want.

AlasdairMc

If you’re bikepacking, then the 29er really is the new normal. Most if not all of the folk I know who bikepack decent distances ride 29ers. Whether the Inbred is the right 29er, I don’t know, but the wheel size is definitely the right one

zippykona

My first go on a 29 was an Inbred. Bloody awful.
    My first 29 was a Scandal. Brilliant bike.

superstu
    Free Member

On one parkwood?

djflexure

I have one set up rigid ss and I think it would be fine for most of the activities you list. It feels long and low so good as a mile muncher. Ran it on some Pyrenean trails this summer; enjoyable enough but bikes with ‘more contemporary’ geometry can feel much better going down. Reasonably priced alternatives might include Ragley Big Wig if they are still available, something second hand.

Clink

Ran it on some Pyrenean trails this summer

Sounds fun! 😀 What did you get up to?

djflexure

We camped in Biarritz and I rode over and explored the area around La Rune a few times. Lovely area. Foothills of Pyrenees really but some monster climbs and great descents nonetheless (esp ss).

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I have a 29er Inbred as my winter trail bike and it is first class. Heavy? Not really, depends how you build it. Outdated geometry? Not really, stick some 120mm forks on it and it tackles anything bar 6′ drops. With a decent pair of wheels and tyres at the right pressures, it rides beautifully. The frame costs little more than a high end pair of tyres. Buy it and you’ve got little to lose. Although, last time I looked, they were awaiting new stock.

somouk
    Free Member

My first 29er was an Inbred and I think they’re great.

Done long days on it and blasts round trail centers with no issues at all.

ampthill

I once bike packing

At the time I thought I was off road cycle touring but it turns out it was bike packing

But I did it with 26 inch wheels!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘On One in bred 29er any good for bike packing and the odd XC race…?’ is closed to new replies.