Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • On-One framesets
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Are they any good? I've just been thinking of either an Inbred or 456 frameset to build up as a lighter rigid bike which I can use for both road/bridleways and xc (stuff like cannock), then keep my Trailstar for whenever I'm doing anything more gravity/jump oriented or where suspension is required.

How are the forks? Obviously I'd not do any big jumps or drops with them but I do like to get a bit of air and don't want to lose any confidence on smaller (1ft?) drops.

The Inbred seems like the more obvious choice for this but what if I wanted to get more "radcore" and fancied some suspension?

Suppose the easier option would be to get another set of wheels/tyres for the road stuff and lock the forks out, but the idea of a new bike is so appealing, haha. Oh and the TS is a bit short for road and I don't fancy a longer stem.

tazzymtb

you can ride all of the stuff at cannock with rigids no problems at all. Go for the inbred and you can run it single speed nicely as well, so perfect for the gear eating muck that the chase seems to develop for about 11.5 months of the year 😀

sv

The Inbred can take a 4-5inch fork too!

_tom_
    Free Member

Oh yeah, forgot it could!

I was going to get the vertical dropout version as I have to take both wheels off to fit in the car. Would be even more of a faff with horizontal dropouts I think. It would be nice to have the option of easily singlespeeding without a crap mech tensioner though..

Any word on whether the on-one forks (and even the inbred frame) would be able to take some small jumps and drops from a 17st rider?

U31
    Free Member

Todge mate, DO IT!!!!
    You wont regret it! I've done reds at all the localish trail centres on ours, and the black at Healy nab which is a good rollable black, using rock shock judy race 100mm, zoke bomber mx pro lo 100mm and the 130mm pace rc41's i got off Jo,
    Im hovering around 17 stone
    The horizontal droput frame i got is being ran geared with planet x chain tugs, quick release. Just as easy to change the wheels as a normal dropout as long as you knock the chain / mech down to the 11 tooth cog first.

sv

My various Inbreds have taken a good bit of abuse, I am about 14stone.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Don't ask me, I snapped trailblades…………….

kolorworx
    Free Member

got to be done i've got 2 inbred's (both for sale :wink:) 1 16" with sliding vertical dropout's so the best of both worlds and a normal sliding dropout 18" they are great framesets i have on one rigid steel forks on the 18" and carbon rigids on the 16" i'm gonna go for a carbon whippet thats why i'm selling them orders from the mrs no more bike's unless i sell 1 or 2 :oops:.

you wont regret buying an inbred for the money they cant be beat 8)

argyle
    Free Member

i got one after reading all the hype from the fanboys on here and it was heavy and a bit dull. i guess it was my own fault for believing everything i read on forums…

clubber
    Free Member

They're certainly not light or springy but I'd never describe them as dull in terms of the handling…

hp_source

If you want it light (& lighter than your Trailstar) have you considered the Scandal instead of an Inbred? Comes up quite a bit lighter and has the same (or very similar) geometry.

U31
    Free Member

Heavy and dull? If built up from bottom shelf components and p*sspoor forks, granted, but mine are all xt, mavic etc, and are a total hoot.
    i once built one on suntour gear and dart2's.
    Now. That WAS a pig.

footflaps

When you look at the weight, the On-ones are very heavy for what you get. The paint job on my 456 was also a disgrace, rusty water dripped from the joints from day 1 – I suspect they used Tipex to paint it.

Can't say I miss the 456 – was a very under-inspiring frame.

Everywhen
    Free Member

I like my 456 very much.
    It goes up quite well and down quite well too.
    I have had quite a big crash and it did not break.
    It was cheap.
    I have found On-One very good to deal with.

clubber
    Free Member

On-ones are very heavy for what you get

eh? what does that mean? a frame that can take a 6" fork for a bit over £100 (IIRC, haven't checked the price recently) isn't light – hardly suprising is it?

argyle
    Free Member

fwiw my on one wasn't built up with guff – perhaps not XT and mavic but then i find sticking jewels on turds a bit of an odd pass time….

all i'm saying is don't expect the mind blowing ride everyone is on about, you pays yer monies you takes yer chances.

sv

rusty water

Strange seeing as they are made from steel 😆

grizzer
    Free Member

i've got an inbred with a mix of xt and dior,reba forks,mavic crossride's and it's about 26-27 pounds not uber light but not an heavyweight and i think the rides great for the money and you could pay a lot more for a frame and gain nothing in performance only the prestige of an expensive frame….

U31
    Free Member

What grizzer said.
    At the end of the day im a 17 stone fatknacker who likes doing red runs with drop offs.. and i'm gonna be tough on my frames. I could spend £350 on an alley frame, £600 on an uber light scandium frame, £900 on a Ti.
    But i got a frame that cost £145 at the time, with state of the art geometry for the time. Its made of steel.Steel is tough. Its 2 lbs heavier then a contempory alley frame, 3 lbs heavier then a contempory Ti.
    If i bust it a replacement frame is £165.
    Capiche?

lcj

i've got an inbred with a mix of xt and dior

Now that's a posh build 8)

sv

U31 you missed out carbon at £499 😉

U31
    Free Member

How long do yer reckon a carbon frame would last with me on? 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The 456 isn't any heavier than any other 5-6" travel hardtail frame?

It wont turn you into Greg Minnar overnight, but then neither will a £3k frame.

sv

How long do yer reckon a carbon frame would last with me on?

The actual carbon will last many years – but as an actual bike frame…

argyle
    Free Member

heavier than a soul or a ragley hanson

U31
    Free Member

Good god! Is splitting hairs your favourite passtime?
    Both cost a good factor more then the Inbred…
    Tho to be fair, if the Bluepig and Inbred cost the same, it would be a very tough decision, but i think the bluepig would just pip the inbred for me cause i like the chainstay clearance

argyle
    Free Member

apologies – i forgot it was against forum law to speak ill of the on one.

U31
    Free Member

Speak ill by all means if there is genuine reason, but don't pick holes just cause it's cheap..

Ooops! I'm forgetting the Carrera thread, boutique megabux bikes are de rigour for singletrack!

vinnyeh

heavier than a soul or a ragley hanson

not really like for like though, is it? The Ragley is a fair bit pricier, and made of aluminium- the steel Blue Pig weighs about the same as the 456.
    The Soul costs about 3 times as much, still weighs near 4.5lbs, and is rated to a 140mm fork. The BFe, probably a better match, weighs 5.5lbs in a small size, and costs twice as much as a 456.

plumber
    Free Member

853 inbred every time for me, I really hated my 456 though, same with the summer season, just couldn't get on with it

argyle
    Free Member

not just picking holes because they are cheap. i owned and rode one before deciding it was tat

U31
    Free Member

In what way? Fit and finish or generally unhappy with how it felt, handled?
    As i said earlier the only dog i rode i built out of crap i had lying round as spares.
    On good forks they have all rode and handled fine, the worst being on the 456 on the Pace forks coupled with a very very short Azonic Stem.. Great on my local tree lined loop for point and squirt, but up Gisburn it was arse clenchingly twitchy on the fast singletrack.. cured by swapping to Bombers and a 90mm stem.

So in my experiance i'd say they are good, but fork / stem choice critical

argyle
    Free Member

fit was fine, finish was horrific, handling/ride was 'meh'.

had some vanillas on and love them on any other bikes i have used so i don't think it was my fork choice

U31
    Free Member

At least that's something we can quantify, rather then a straight "it's S*it"! 😛

So considering all our replys are subjective, the yes's and the no's –
    the best answer to Tom would be to have a go on a demo bike?

argyle
    Free Member

never said sh*t, said heavy and dull in my first post…you should have read it, i was very proud of that one

vinnyeh

never said sh*t, said heavy and dull in my first post…you should have read it, i was very proud of that one

yeah, but to nitpick, you did call it a turd later on, and if that ain't sh*t then I don't know what is 😆

argyle
    Free Member

maybe i'm irish

_tom_
    Free Member

the best answer to Tom would be to have a go on a demo bike?

Yep that's the best idea 😀 Anyone got a 16" Inbred with a short stem (50 or 60mm) that I can have a go on?

Funny that Ragley was mentioned since my other brilliant idea was to get a Blue Pig frame to replace my Trailstar and use that for everything off road (I like the TS but it's a bit short without a longer stem (which I don't want) and also the head angle is quite steep). Then maybe put a longer stem on the TS and use that for the local roads/bridleways which aren't very bumpy and it won't matter if the steering/front end feels sluggish..

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘On-One framesets’ is closed to new replies.