Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • On one Fatty diet, will I really notice?
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

So without spending too much (£185) I should be able to lose around 4 lbs. Swapping the stock tubes at 598g each for Schwalbe freeride at 185g each.Fatty fork at 1310g swapped for Fatty carbon at around 650g.
    Then drilling the rims to lose another 200g per wheel.

That sounds like a pretty substantial weight loss for not too much outlay, but will I really notice it on the trail other than hoisting it over things?

wwaswas

you’ll notice 4 pounds off the weight – especially as a lot of it will be rotating weight.

scotroutes

It should definitely be more manouverable

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I think that is probably the cheapest way to shave weight off.

After that you’ve need to try carbon bars, seatpost, etc. and that can soon start getting pricey depending on the brand.

I’m not sure if it will be noticeable, I guess it would be the same a 2 or 3 full large water bottles maybe?

stoddys
    Free Member

Out of interest, what is the pre diet weight?
    Thinking of one myself, might now start with the rolling kit

scotroutes

If I was after a light fatbike, I wouldn’t start with an On One Fatty.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I haven’t actually weighed it, but would guess at 35lb in it’s current guise based on other people’s builds.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

think it’s going to be a bit more than that. Mine’s about 34lbs with a carbon fork, lighter tubes, 1×10 drivetrain and drilled rims. By the time I’ve added a pump, water bottle, saddle bag, 2 rear lights and a front light + battery pack it’s a big fat giffer

Bagstard
    Free Member

Price and geo make the fatty a winner for me, it feels very natural on steep, tech and jumpy stuff.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Rotational weight is key here and it will feel a whole lot different.
    My Mukluks under 26lbs and its a total hoot. Jumps surprisingly well!

Bagstard
    Free Member

34lbs! Jeez, damn me and my optomism! So what was the stock weight? I’m running 1×10 with an emergency manual granny ring!

hot_fiat

How about going ghetto tubless? There’s plenty of videos on’t web showing you how. Yes, the initial pump up is a PITA, but once they’re up it’s a whole different bicycle.

Stock weight is 34lbs

Bagstard
    Free Member

I had considered ghetto, but the floater tyres are really loose on the rim, so I would worry about burping if I ever managed to inflate.

wwaswas

I spent a lot of time trying to get a floater tyre to seat on an on-one wheelset tubeless – they’re just too baggy. I’m still running tubes.

Bagstard
    Free Member

In that case I will give it a miss, ghetto can be troublsome at the best of times.

Lester
    Free Member

my floaters are both tubeless 🙂 one went up easily and the other was a bit trickier, i ran two lots of gorilla tape up to the rim so the tyre was seated a bit tighter, it wasnt much but it worked, i also used a 3 litre ghetto pump and that did the trick

JoeG
    Free Member

Getting rid of the On-One tubes (either tubeless of Q-tube) was very noticeable. I didn’t drill my rims.

The carbon fork made the front end noticeably lighter and easier to lift over obstacles. I can’t say that that the bike as a whole seemed lighter at this point, though obviously it was.

onandon
    Free Member

What you’ve suggested plus a pair of jumbo jim’s will make a huge difference.
    I’ve lightened mine to around 27ish with plenty more to come once the said tires are available and I can get a 100mm isis bb

JoeG
    Free Member

and I can get a 100mm isis bb

😯

Why on earth would you want one of those?

Bagstard
    Free Member

Just seen the weight of the floater tyre! Definitely some serious rotating weight to be lost there, but I’m not throwing out good tyres, better get skidding! 😉

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Carbon rims FTW.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve done all the OP’S planning to do plus ive gone 1×10 from 2×9 and even with a dropper post I’m now very happy with the weight. Feels light to pick up and even better when your rolling. BAGSTARD you lazy bugger push harder

julioflo
    Free Member

You know what, the internet seems to be missing videos of people ‘shredding the gnar’ or whatever on a Fatty. Can anyone supply any video action? Would love t0 see a Fatty in high speed action…

Bagstard
    Free Member

Push harder! It’s alright for you with your drilled rims and fancy carbon fork! 😉 I changed the front to a 30t narrow/wide, so have a little extra for the climbs. We will have to get out again soon mate!

fd3chris
    Free Member

Yes I’ve gone 30 front and 36 rear now all zee ( wonder where I got that idea from)and apart from tubeless I cant do much more unless spending silly money which is erm……silly. Yes I’m away again surprise surprise will let you know when I’m back mate.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘On one Fatty diet, will I really notice?’ is closed to new replies.