Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • On One Emmental fat rims – internal width for rim tape.
  • motozulu
    Free Member

Anyone know what the width is and therefore width rim tape I’d need?
    Bike only ordered today but I’ve decided as soon as it comes I’ll be going tubeless and while I’m at it blinging up a bit by putting orange rim tape in to show through the cut outs 😳
    Look as I might, I can’t see any tech specs on these rims on the On One site – or anywhere on the tinterweb for that matter, they don’t open for a couple more days, so if anyone knows – much appreciated.

psycorp
    Free Member

I tried and failed multiple times to get mine to go up tubeless. The only way it will work is via the split tube method. I gave up and filled some tubes with stans instead. It’s about 50mm for the rim tape iirc.

motozulu
    Free Member

Thanks mate – there are vids out there, s’pose it depends on what tyres you are using?

cozz
    Free Member

eBay – orange duct tape

motozulu
    Free Member

Really? that works?

cozz
    Free Member

works as rim tape yes, not sure about tubeless might need to do a couple of wraps of stretch clingfilm packaging stuff

motozulu
    Free Member

Cheers cozz – have a look at that.

rOcKeTdOg

i used 60mm electrical tape on my rolling darylls, two wraps each with very prorous floater and nate tyres, worked a treat

slimjim78
    Free Member

You need a rim strip or a few layers of wide insulation tape first, then you need a proper sticky layer of gorilla tape or equivalent, or alternatively a split tube or wide latex exercise band/loop.
    I used the latter, with rubber cement to bond a strip of resistance band into a loop (around 110mm wide). Stretch this over the rim, instal tyre, inflate to instant sealed rim.
    I find insulation tape on its own eventually leakes as sealant gets under the edges causing the tacky surface to degrade.
    Total cost, about £5 (not including valve).

Or just buy the fatty stripper equivalent. They work well but cost about 10x more.

Orange Sealent also do a fat bike tubeless rim kit at about £60. Comes with a ruddy great roll of sticky wide rim tape. I use their sealent, it’s very good.

motozulu
    Free Member

Thanks Jim, nothing easy in this game. I’ll have to look into it, course, the Emmentals may go up well..and they may not. All part of the fun.

big_scot_nanny

I’m a guy for a simple life and without the cognitive capacity or ‘knack’ for any serious bodging, so i went the fattystripper route on clown shoes and 9month old bud and Lou.

Bought ‘the works’ kit, didn’t faff about with glue or any of the optional activities, and they both popped up first time and, with one squeeze of additional sealant for the rear, have held since. Recommended.

Cheezpleez

The On-One rims are really under-sized and need packing out to get a good seal. Get some thin foam, cut it to fit the width of the rim, or a little less, and tape it in place. I have used both super-wide Gorilla tape and a split wide 24-inch tube for sealing. I think the latter is better. Good luck.

CheesybeanZ

I tried with 50mm gorilla tape , 1 wrap in the centre then a layer of 5mm foam 65mm wide too build up the centre then a wrap from either side overlapping in the centre . Seated the tyres fine even stayed up with baggy floaters until I dropped the pressures below about 12 psi then the tyres just fell in the rim . I’m going to try once more with 2 layers of foam too try and keep the tyres pushed into the rim .
    Have a look at this thread – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/would-you-buy-a-new-fatbike-for-1k
    Losds of help on going tubeless .

dovebiker

IME Gorilla Clear Repair Tape is more effective for tubeless than any cloth-backed tape – it’s lighter and doesn’t absorb the sealant which results in it coming unstuck – I have some fatbike rims where it’s still fine after 2 years. As for tubeless on a O-O Fatty good luck! A great combination of undersize rims and baggy tyres – split tube method would be my suggestion.

CheesybeanZ

– it’s lighter and doesn’t absorb the sealant which results in it coming unstuck

When your putting the best part of 3kg of tryes on I don’t think saving a couple of grams tape really matters .

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Sorry, only just seen this thread.

If you measure internal rim width between the bead hooks on the rim outer edge, my ~1508g rear Emmental wheel (bought recently for £56) is ~76mm between the hooks.

If you need other dimensions, let me know, wheel is currently sitting in supplied box.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘On One Emmental fat rims – internal width for rim tape.’ is closed to new replies.