Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • On one 456…7? – thinking about 170mm forks
  • duckeee
    Free Member

Black Friday bargains have got me thinking; will 170mm RC solo air lyriks on a 456 evo2 cause death/destruction?

Currently running 120mm recons (in need of a good service).

Suggsey
    Free Member

At minimum trying to climb uphill will be done unicycle style……I am using 150mm Bombers and it makes it very light but I haven’t snapped the head tube off….yet 😆

breadcrumb

I’m fairly sure Ed Oxley ran 160 Lyrics in the chop video.

dannyh
    Free Member

I suspect it will make it into an absolute steamroller going over rough stuff in a straight line. The downside being it will corner like a steamroller too. As always, a balancing act.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Can you not get some all travel spacers fitted and drop them down to 150mm?

neilnevill
    Free Member

I don’t like mine if iwind my lyrics past 150…. It tends to just go straight ahead.

gardron
    Free Member

I ran 160 fox 34’s on mine and it gets a bit, um, floppy as far as steering goes. Fun pointed down but I wouldn’t want to try more

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had some tall 150mm marzochis for a while, it handled fine but it seemed to be well into diminishing returns for more travel, it wasn’t any faster than 130-140mm as beyond that I couldn’t get the rear end to follow through and weighting the front more wasn’t possible as things got rougher it was just the time you wanted to lean back.

lucien

Put some 160mm van r’s on a steel 456 – front end was very floaty on anything other then downhill

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Same here, 150mm doesn’t suit the frame very well. Ive found 140mm suits me best.

yunki
    Free Member

I had some 150mm forks on my 456 for about 3 rides.. Hated every second.. The front end having that much travel just felt ridiculous, felt like I was getting pitched over the front at every hit.. I think the LT hardtail was a good sales gimmick, bigger is better and all that, but the idea wasn’t great in practise..

130mm max travel for me on a hardtail with 100 – 120mm being my personal preference..
    I definitely wouldn’t feel safe on anything remotely steep and technical with 170mm travel

deviant
    Free Member

Tried 150mm on mine, ending up settling on 140mm…as others have said, pointed straight downhill it was great with long forks but normal riding became a chore.
    With the forks slightly shorter it was just as good going down but could also be hustled along singletrack and could handle a decent climb too.

sq225917
    Free Member

120-140 is the sweep spot anything more is barge territory

gravityfreak
    Free Member

I rode mine with a 170mm Mars 55 while my 44 was being fixed. Loved it. The combo made the bike so capable feeling that I scared myself with how fast I was going into rock gardens etc. My 44 is 150mm and makes for a better all rounder but I say go for it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘On one 456…7? – thinking about 170mm forks’ is closed to new replies.