Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • On-One 456 Summer Season?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Looking for a new frame, hopefully trying to find someone who uses the 456 Summer Season for the same stuff as I ride, which is a mixture of:

-dirt jumping (just tabletops atm but if I get good enough then would move up to bigger doubles)
    -XC
    -DH

So does anyone ride those on a 456SS and how does it handle for each?

I'd be getting the 14" version as I prefer a shorter TT, don't mind having a long seat post (and I only have a 29" inside leg anyway). Currently my choice is between the 456SS and a 2nd hand Charge Blender, which has a slacker ST angle so might not be as good for climbing/sitting down riding? Other than that, the geo seems fairly similar between the two?

Cheers
    Tom

bintangman
    Free Member

I was looking at the blender as a trail centre bike and for local 'dh' bits, but came to the conclusion it was just too slack and small (I'm 5'8'). I'm thinking of the SS, but its quite close in fork travel and geometry to my full susser, so might go for the Duster instead.

_tom_
    Free Member

I'm 5'9-10" ish and currently riding on a DMR classic Trailstar (15"), so I don't mind a slack ride if this is anything to go by. Just don't want to go any slacker on the seat angle, but don't know the geo of older trailstars as I'm sure they've changed it around a bit!

_tom_
    Free Member

bump, this forum moves too fast!

Hairychested
    Free Member

I have singlespeeded (sp.?) and 69'er'ed my 456SS. Lovely and weird. Highly recommended.

Olly
    Free Member

ive put this picture up here more times than ive ridden the thing.
    been dead busy since ive had it, however new years resolution is to ride more, and part of this, is to dabble in some Mini DH races on the above velocipede. (which is why its built up with long forks and a 64ish degree head angle.

HOPING to get to Gawton on sunday, i shall let you know how it goes.
    the only ride its been on, was around the quantocks, and it was RUBBISH on everything apart from the chimney, where it was Awesome 🙂 (even with no back brake as the pad died)

Edit: PS, its not leaning on a cement mixer in that picture, the cement mixer is leaning on the bike, its SO heavy compared to my trance

Lionheart
    Free Member

Sprog 'James' now 5'7plus! has a Summer Season 14" and Fox 32s – for some trail xc, but mostly dirt jumps and the local DH tracks, one of his mates has Blender with Pikes on for the same role – both seem great bikes and work well for them

mccett
    Free Member

Had my 456 SS for over a month and it replaced a Cove Foreplay as a play bike that i could ride xc on and get back and to the fun trails. Used it for hacking about in the woods DH, done 2 peaks rides where it was great down Cavedale and the Beast and went to Coed Y Brenin on Tuesday and it was great for xc (put a 90mm stem on it). Did everything really well its the first bike ive ridden with this steep seat angle geometry and it impressed well with technical climbing.

Before the 456 i rode my Cove Handjob most of the time, but i havent been out on it since the 456 arrived. Up there as one of my fave bikes i've owned.

_tom_
    Free Member

hmm.. I really like how the Blender looks but I'm really not sure about the seat angle as it looks really slack.

14" 456 SS is sounding like the best contender so long as it'll take my sloppy jumping where I case a lot, haha

Shame about the rank colours though, I'd probably end up getting the orange as the yellow looks horrible (sorry olly)!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You might struggle to get the saddle high enough on a 14" though?

I'd say another Trailstar would be the best option, or a second hand BFe.

dropoff

Here's a green one called sprout 🙂

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Would a set of rigid forks be ok on a summer season .. only asking cause they have a slacker head ??
    Fancy a frame , but have no forks at present … only a pair of 460 mm carbon exotics i could use

_tom_
    Free Member

What am I.., is that a 14"? If so have you tried any jumps/drops on it and how does it perform for them?

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Hey Tom, I have one. An 18 but I'm 6'4'' so it's as small as I could really go, It cruises well and could imagine it being pretty good for hardtail downhill but it's a bit long and slack for park and jumpy stuff really, I had a 17.5'' surly instigator before and that felt more nimble.

Janesy
    Free Member

What am I doing here again: that looks way too small, can you actualy ride it longer than an hour!?

auldy
    Free Member

Got myself a 456SS recently and must say I am very pleased with it so far – has handled everything I have ridden so far even with the sketchy 120mm Marzochi MZ Race fork on it . . . 6ft 2" – 32" inside leg – 18" frame with a 400mm seatpost in case you were wondering

_tom_
    Free Member

Jobbyheid that does look really bloody slack haha. I dunno what to do 🙁

Hopefully can buy a trailstar off someone on here, since I know mine feels awesome. Not sure how much running 100mm forks on the long travel version would affect things though?

repatriot
    Free Member

What are the differences between the Blue Pig and 456SS beyond the price?
    Is the Blue Pig steeper?

_tom_
    Free Member

I think the Blue Pig has a longer TT, but may be wrong on that.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘On-One 456 Summer Season?’ is closed to new replies.