Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • on – one 456 raw finish
  • davesmate
    Free Member

Anyone got one/had for some time? Just wondering how the raw finish looks when it’s been “weathered” in a bit.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Which, Carbon 456?

The Carbon 456 raw is odd in certain light in that you can see the difference between sections or layers as the way light reflects off the black can look a different colour to another part. Out riding it just looks stealthy black though.

Not had any weathering in the nearly three years I’ve had it. However I’ve scratched it up a bit. Cable rub in places mainly. I have helitape in places now but should have done it earlier. Still, any bike can get cable rub, dings and scratches.

The following Instagram pic, the raw is more noticeable in the dark with flash lighting. Hard to see with low quality pic and between the mud, but top of the downtube along where the battery is strapped on, there’s a strip of lighter coloured section. Normally you don’t notice and it just looks black, but with certain light it will reflect a different shade.

View this post on Instagram

#mtb #nightride #whereami #c456 #four4thlights

A post shared by Tim Moore (@moore_tim) on

woody2000

Plenty of rust and scratches on my raw steel 456. Doesn’t look any better or worse than scratched/weathered painted 456 TBH.

deadkenny
    Free Member

And yeah, I’ve got a raw ali Santa Cruz Nomad and with that there are noticeable swirls of scratching but that’s in the lacquer. Loads of dings and scratches but it gets a lot of abuse 😀

deviant
    Free Member

Raw steel 456 here, the lacquer scratches easily and some very light surface rust appears…. On-One admit this will happen on their website but claim it adds a certain patina, I have to agree… Looks good, rugged actually, like a MTB should.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Mines been ridden a lot. Still looking fresh – although lots of rusty brown shiz on the inside of my seat tube. Steel frames do that though

humattzee

had a raw steel frame and rode it through plenty of wet, muddy miles for a couple of years. as above, lacquer scratched in various places with a light rust forming, but nothing hideous. in my opinion the weathered/ aged looked no worse than a battered paint job.

davesmate
    Free Member

Thanks all. Was thinking more about steel deadkenny. Got any pics deviant? I’ve just ordered one without reading the blurb about the finish and surface rust and was thinking I should’ve gone for a painted one. That looks cool though tizzzzle.

deviant
    Free Member

If you look hard you can see some rust close to the hose/cable guide in the middle of the top tube.
    I really liked the look and replaced that 456-evo with another raw 45650b

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Just built mine up – same frame as tizzzzle’s – so looking forward to seeing how it ‘ages’. I’ve had a good half a dozen or more steel On Ones and having just parted with the That Blue frame that I always lusted after, hope the new one gains the same sort of character.

It does look pretty cool and purposeful but there’s a distinct lack of colour in the garage now – just the raw Ti Tripster and the soon-to-be-rusty 456.

EDIT: Just seen deviant’s and now wondering if I should be putting some frame patches to stop the cables rubbing the, erm, paint lacquer. I guess it’ll eventually rub the metal so it probably does make sense.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Personally I think the raw is much nicer than the painted ones, ‘purposeful’ is a great definition of it’s looks.

I love my (26er) 456evo2. Previously I had a BFE and I know it’s sacrilege on here but imo the onone is so much nicer to ride – longer and slacker with much more give in the back. Mine’s a 16inch by the way 😉

davesmate
    Free Member

Nice one lads, they look right smart. I had visions of me riding round on a rusty old gate in 6 months time!

Looking forward to building it up now.

deviant
    Free Member

I had visions of me riding round on a rusty old gate in 6 months time!

No chance, mine was over a year old in that pic and had been thrown down the trail more times than i care to remember!

breadcrumb

I’ve just built mine up so can’t comment on how it will fair long term but I am interested to see how it weathers.

I figure if it started to look shit I’d get it blasted and recoated.

Good to see others lasting week though.

Kunstler

I’ve had it almost a year and my 456 still doesn’t look like a wok. Much. Used and abused indeed. Love it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I had the original summer season in raw lacquered finish, the finish stood up well and overall didn’t look much different after 12 months, maybe some rust spots from regular chain slap.

davesmate
    Free Member

And here it is

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Very nice davesmate! Get some bar plugs on it though. Enjoy

davesmate
    Free Member

They went on literally 2 minutes after taking that photo, I promise!

breadcrumb

But have you rode it yet?

In really impressed with mine. Alright you’ve twisted my arm here’s a photo-

And one in the wild-

Few little things I’ll change in time but overall really happy. Just wish I’d built one during the summer!

davesmate
    Free Member

Took it for it’s first chuck about this afternoon. Needs a few tweaks but love it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘on – one 456 raw finish’ is closed to new replies.