Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • on one 456 EVO
  • v666ern
    Free Member

On One 456 evo

Whats your thoughts 456 owners…

Evo is new geometry. Lower bb, steeper seat angle, head angle not quite as slack as SS but close

only asking as i WANT a 456 and wondering how you think this will be… 🙄

yunki
    Free Member

I like the sound of a steeper seat angle

RestlessNative
    Free Member

looks very nice anyway

Simon

How do the angles compare to a Blue Pig/Mmmbop?

Northwind

Instant response is to wonder how different it is from a Pig, tbh.

ton

i thought pig as soon as i saw it.
    had a original 456, had a blue pig, got a new 456…………they are all the bloody same to ride……….oh and had a 456 summer job, which was horrible.

sv

Tweaked geo and finally a dented driveside chainstay 🙂

Yes the iscg mounts but thee SS had those, not exactly a massive shift from where it is now. Maybe Brant will make bigger changes or a new design elsewhere?

deviant
    Free Member

What do people expect?….it’s a hardtail, unless somebody comes up with something better than the double-diamond design then pretty much all hardtails from all manufacturers (in whichever material) will be pretty much the same….obviously XC machines will have sharper angles and DH/Enduro biased stuff like the Summer Season will be slacker….but there’s only so much that can be done.

I like this frame, lower BB should add stability…steeper seat tube for climbing and a friendly HA for the gravity stuff….on paper it looks good, if its cheap then it will be my next hardtail.

brant
    Free Member

This is the other colour way.

http://www.shedfire.com/2012/01/12/just-in-456-1-matt-raw/

(456.1 was working title)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Looks good, that raw colour is well smart.

not exactly a massive shift from where it is now

Thats because its so good and the current formula appears to work well.

I wonder how many 456’s are sold per year?

I bet its hundreds of times more than the other uk companies. They’re cheap, work well and are straight forward. No faffing about. The go to bike if you’re on a budget.

Start adding fancy headtubes and dropouts and what not, and the price starts to go up and then it opens up options from every other company.

If its still below the £200 mark then it’ll keep selling well.

kerv
    Free Member

Wtf is a colour way?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i wouldn’t wan’t my 456 any slacker – but i’m probably not a typical user….

would like to try one anyway.

Northwind

I’ve been running my 456 with 2 degrees off the headset via a Works Components headset (*)- so slacker, steeper seat-tube, and a little lower at the BB. Wonder how different this is.

(* No it’s not a “new shedfire product”, no it’s not a “slackset”)

jonba
    Free Member

I run my current one single speed. Would be great for me if it had slot drop outs.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Wtf is a colour way?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/colorway#English

HTH, **** me that was hard, let me google that for you…etc etc

avdave2

I’d be interested to know if a carbon version might be on the cards.

brant
    Free Member

You can make your own carbon version with a Slackset, an inline post, and a C456.

muckytee
    Free Member

Want! Aesthetically it pleases me, in both colours 8)

Geo sounds good too

v666ern
    Free Member

soz for letting the cat out the bag brant….still very good response! 😀

igm

Brant – how about cable guides/stops on the head tube to stop cable rub? Is there a good reason no to do that?

brant
    Free Member

I’ve always thought makes the radius the cable has to bend to the lever/shifter rather awkward.

I_Ache
    Free Member

It looks like a gate in those pics.

sv

Thats because its so good and the current formula appears to work well.

Agree and the additions (dent, seat angle and iscg mounts) just help update it. Thought it might have got a tapered headtube at least.

My thinking was Mr Richards might do a fathead tubed 3 finger bridged (etc) On-One. Probably easier to tweak something that works/sells well. Perhaps a more modern Inbred, piglety type hardtail with bet QC obviously 😉

julioflo
    Free Member

Still 5.5lbs/2.4kg frame?
    the raw finish with orange graphics has sold it to me?!

brant
    Free Member

It looks like a gate in those pics.

that’s because it’s a 20in frame in those pics.

20in frames tend to look quite large

brant
    Free Member

My thinking was Mr Richards might do a fathead tubed 3 finger bridged (etc) On-One.

But that was a Ragley design and it would be bad for me to copy that.

brant
    Free Member

Still 5.5lbs/2.4kg frame?

All tubing still the same on this model, so yes.

ahwiles
    Free Member

I_Ache – Member

It looks like a gate

brant – Member

20in frames tend to look quite large

which is mostly why i want a 29er.

(my blue pig is ace, but when i put the saddle up even it’s mother has to look away)

any chance of a 29er evo?

sv

But that was a Ragley design and it would be bad for me to copy that.

Sorry Brant should have clarified that. Not to use the same technology but perhaps something new within the original frame or indeed a new one. Then again like the 456evo, if it ain’t broke…

Edit: liking the rawed one, navy one looks a bit rubbish with the coloured stickers. Get them back to a white background!

hora
    Free Member

How do the angles compare to a Blue Pig/Mmmbop?

More importantly is it better finished and quality than Ragleys 😆

neilforrow

having had both a 456, a 456ss and currently a 456c, a half way house with ISCG tabs sounds good to me. Gets my vote.

You can make your own carbon version with a Slackset, an inline post, and a C456

tick.

andyl
    Free Member

@Brant: Does the slackset headset work with tapered forks on the 16″ frames? I was a bit p*ssed off when I realised Stevo(?) had cocked up with the head tube and it was quite a lot shorter than the dimensions on the geometry page. I’ve got a red headset and the solution was to send out gopping external cup black upper which is n obvious afterthought.

edit: just noticed you have different models for each headtube length: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HSOOSSS/on_one_slackset_standard_headset_by_works_components

I take it the 90 one sticks out more? And can they be run with straight 1.125″ steerers or just tapered ones? (ended up sticking with straight after all the messing around)

brant
    Free Member

Our stock Slacksets work with straight steerers right now. WorksComponents do have a tapered compatible one, but it’s an external lower cup. Our Slacksets have an internal lower cup to drop the front/bb.

andyl
    Free Member

cheers Brant. I get it now, you’ve shifted the top to external and bottom internal so the stack height ends up being similar?

brant
    Free Member

Yes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So is the BB actualy lower and the seatpost steeper, or is it the slight reduction in front height thats tipped it forewards and lowered the BB.

brant
    Free Member

So is the BB actualy lower and the seatpost steeper, or is it the slight reduction in front height thats tipped it forewards and lowered the BB.

The new frame is designed from the ground up with a lower BB and steeper seat tube. When you design a frame you put the bits where you want them.

With the current C456, adding a slackset gets the bits about where I want them too.

I_Ache
    Free Member

brant – Member

that’s because it’s a 20in frame in those pics.

Well I will forgive you then.

hora
    Free Member

Why does it have to be called EVO?

Janesy
    Free Member

Because HOPE did it to the Pro 2’s.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘on one 456 EVO’ is closed to new replies.