Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • on one 456 chainsuck
  • spock
    Free Member

My chain is rapidly destroying my new frame , i use a 26t granny and it is very close to the tube, my question is, i have a ht11 bb and have got the two big spacers on the non drive side and the one big one small on the drive side, can i swap these spacers over? will it help solve the problem?

Thanks

reggiegasket
    Free Member

yes 456s suffer from it

but the two spacers should be on the DS and 1 on the NDS

having a new steel Deore middle ring helps. Having a Middleburn one doesn't.

alexpalacefan

You've got the spacers switched, so that's the first job.

I don't buy this "On Ones suffer from chainsuck" thing. It's a function of the dynamic between the chain rollers and the chain as it drops of the underside of the ring, has nothing to do with the frame.

Of course with limited clearance the consequences can be worse for some frames that others.

I'd look to see how worn the chainring is.

APF

bassspine
    Free Member

I don't buy this "On Ones suffer from chainsuck" thing.

+1
    the truth about chainsuck

in fact exactly what APF said +1

spock
    Free Member

iv'e swapped over the spacers now, the rings were new with the chain in January and are always well cleaned, chain oiled . I've also made a 'chain suck preventing/stopping off mashing steel device' consisting of inner tube and 3 zip ties right next to each other!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

spock, after suffering chain suck (agree with APF and bassspine some frames suffer more consequences but dont cause it but its a semantic argument) with my 456 I did something similar, just stuck half a dozen zip ties around the area, with the "heads" at the bottom where a sucked chain would hit.

renton
    Free Member

ive had this on all my inbred/456 frames over the years!! which is 5 in total….

ive had it with worn drivetrain, new drivetrain and a mix of both.

was worse in mud and under load.

tis the reason i will never have another on one frame…. as much as i like them.

adam5555

Its happenening to mine as well. Chainsuck happens on all frames from time to time but after only 6 or 7 chainsuck moments on my 456 its stripped the paint off and started to scratch into the chain stay in a concentrated area. Coupled with corrosion of the bear metal it doesn't bear well for the future

Inbred456
    Free Member

I changed back to deore steel cogs, problem solved! I really do think that the alloy rings stick to the rollers of the chain when it gets a bit of sh!t or dirt on the links. It's often the case that new rings stick and not worn ones. IE there is a bit more clearance between the teeth and the chain links, almost like a bedding in period. Who knows? Every scenario seems different.

gbayf2308
    Free Member

I've got a Summer Season with an SLX crankset and only had a couple of incidents so far.
    My mate has a 456 with XTR middleburn and has plenty.
    Luck of the draw I guess.
    I think it's why Brant designed the Ragleys with such huge clearance at the chainrings.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘on one 456 chainsuck’ is closed to new replies.