Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • On One 456 2011….
  • elgee
    Free Member

Hi Everyone,

I know this question maybe as old as god, I’ve tried looking through to see if this has been covered already, but no avail. So was wondering what these new on one 456 steel frames where like? I know they are on the cheaper end of the scale, but I’ve heard from word of mouth there design is quite dated? May be wrong? Just wanted to know what you lot think and maybe give some advice?

Or should I hold out for the ragley blue pig?

Any info would be great!

Thanks

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Do you know what you want out of a bike frame? What sort of geometry? How you would like it to ride? etc.

I guess you probably dont, therefore jsut buy an on one as they work fine as a bike frame and are nice and cheap.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I’ve heard from word of mouth there design is quite dated?

The wheel is as old as time but it just works, no.?

The 456 is a classic and lets face it how much more tweaking does that frame need to make it “perfect”.? Not the lightest, but the ride is great and cheap as chips, almost disposable.

elgee
    Free Member

David, i do know what i want from the bike. I want something that can take the rough with the smooth, so would want to do XC on it as well as some good hard trails therefore quite slack headstock (nothing to agressive though). My old hardtail just didn’t seem strong enough.

Neil, very good point dude! Just saw that they said the Blue pig is the evolution of the 456?

as said, advice would be great.

thanks for the above dudes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Judging by your last reply, my advice still stands. Buy an On One

Shackleton

therefore quite slack headstock

Are you after a bike, lathe or guitar?

Davidtaylforth +1

FWIW my 456 is great for pretty much all of my riding, and certainly the best value for money. The Blue Pig is supposedly for steeper stuff than the 456 but comes from the same line of thinking. It all rather depends on what your trails look like.

Rolling and general uppy downy, bumpier than normal XC stuff = 456.

Steep nadgery techcore gnarl (Ragley TM) = Blue Pig

jambon
    Free Member

Perfect?

The relaxed seat angle wouldn’t fit a leggy type like me, so not perfect.

Duffer
    Free Member

Rolling and general uppy downy, bumpier than normal XC stuff = 456.

Steep nadgery techcore gnarl (Ragley TM) = Blue Pig 456 Summer Season

Fixed that, for you! 😉

The 456 is a simple, well designed and strong hardtail. No, it’s not the lightest, but it’s not a racing bike. It rides well, will take a wide range of fork sizes and is good fun to ride.

But above all else, it’s seriously cheaper than any of it’s competitors (good design costs nothing)

mmb
    Free Member

i liked my old 456 so much that i’ve just bought the new van nicholas ti 456 as the geometry is pretty much the same. after the first ride i new it was the right purchase, it’s lighter faster more responsive and
    smoother. if i ever decide to go back to a steel frame it’ll be the 456 again.

jonb
    Free Member

The design is as dated as any other hardtail frame made up of two triangles. They take long modern forks so can’t be that dated.

There heavy (5.5lb) IIRC. Mine rides really well. I’d buy another if it died. I’ve done all sorts on mine from trail centres to Lakeland “mountains” and the odd race.

If you want a cheap frame then the 456 is the choice.

You can pay more and get lighter frames from somewhere else.

nickf
    Free Member

I have a large number of bikes.

The only one that gets ridden much is the 456.

I killed the frame after 5 years and just replaced it with an identical one. Love it to bits.

nick1962
    Free Member

Reluctantly sold my 456 and regretted it immediately.
    Hopefully now buying it back as I miss it that much.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Steep nadgery techcore gnarl

=456 with bigger fork never let me down

rustler
    Free Member

Don’t discount the normal Inbred. It rides great with 130mm forks, & should be a smidgen lighter than the 456. You mentioned xc, so thought I’d offer this up. I’ve had a couple of nice HT’s, Pace, Soul, & the Inbred was (for me), as good as the Soul. I’m only swapping because of this 29er mullarkey. 456 is a legend. Christ, some folk spend more on a cassette.

yunki
    Free Member

Steep nadgery techcore gnarl
    =456 with bigger fork never let me down

+1

boblo
    Free Member

I’d recommend a Myford. They hold their value really well and the quality…

As for the 456… The double diamond design is older than time itself… It can trace its roots back to the 1772 Brantridge Dandy Horse used for commuting twixt hovel and coal mine up in Doncastershire….

I have a steel 456 with Revs. It’s brill to ride and I don’t give a thought to thrashing the whatsits off it cos it costs buttons. I prefer riding it to some quite fancy (and expensive) full sussery I also own.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘On One 456 2011….’ is closed to new replies.