Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • on one
  • LoulaBella
    Free Member

Would any of the on one frames be suitable for a women? Or could you recommend something similar.
    cheers 🙂

nbt

On-one frames are quite long in the top tube, whereas women tend to have proportionally longer legs and shorter torsos than men, so you may find it better to go for for a shorter size and run a huge seatpost, which also helps with comfort

Example:
    I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and rode a 16" inbred. Mrs NBT is 5'4", 31" inside leg, and loves her 14" inbred to bits. Although it's not *quite* as capable as her juliana when descending, it's not bad, and it climbs far better.

Highly recommended.

LoulaBella
    Free Member

Great advice, thanks. I keep looking at the inbred frames on ebay and my husband keeps giving me disaproving looks. I really fancy getting the frame and building my own bike, i've never done it before and think it would be agreat learning curve. What bits has your wife got on her bike?

nbt

hope wheels & brakes, reba forks, shimano drivetrain, on-one finishing kit.

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?page_id=940

juan
    Free Member

you would be better off havign a play with an handjob 😉

hora
    Free Member

As with nbt. I say buy one. Before On One realise they're selling their frames for a 1/3 of what they should be 🙂

LoulaBella
    Free Member

juan I prefer a Stiffee to be honest.

LoulaBella
    Free Member

nbt (from one women to another) your wife has an amazing figure, and a cool bike.

juan
    Free Member

Well they can be inclusive 😉
    But more to the point I have tried one and did not liked it at all.

LoulaBella
    Free Member

oh I do enjoy our chats juan your very helpful 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Well I am not talking about a handjob or a stiffe here 😉 But a on-one. If you can afford to buy a Hj they are much better. Plus the new one in Tange just look yum.

Bunnyhop

That picture of the guy riding his on one in the bedroom, made me chuckle.
    Go for it LoulaBella, you won't regret it.

I lent mine to a friend, she loved it so much, she ordered a frame the next day.

chimptastic
    Free Member

I tried a hj and I loved it. But the standover height was an issue for me. But I'm only 5ft 3. So went with an Orange in the end, and size wise is loads better than the womens spec I used to have.

chimptastic
    Free Member

I tried a hj and I loved it. But the standover height was an issue for me. But I'm only 5ft 3. So went with an Orange in the end, and size wise is loads better than the womens spec I used to have.

LoulaBella
    Free Member

Well I will have to wait till Christmas, we have just bought our first family home! Dan was going to get me some Louise Magura brakes for my Rockhopper but for the same price I could get an on one frame, mmmm.

juan
    Free Member

Maybe it's worth keeping an eye on the classified. You might be able to get a whole bike for pretty cheap. If I manage to sell my hoss I am very likely to buy one of the new HJ, hence selling the old one. Not sure how tall you are but I can let you know before hand if you want.

For the record, dezb add a go on my handjob in the woods (ho hey) and 2 days after he bought one.

LoulaBella
    Free Member

Thanks! Could I see a pic?

Keva
    Free Member

I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and rode a 16" inbred. Mrs NBT is 5'4", 31" inside leg, and loves her 14" inbred to bits

I'm 5'4" with a 30in leg and used to ride a 16in Inbred and now ride a 16in Ti456 – both fit perfectly well, they're not 'that' big. short stem on the 456 and the saddle slightly forward.

For comparison I also ride a 15in Rock Lobster, saddle is back on that one and I find it is noticebly shorter in the top tube.

I also ride a 16in Giant XTC which fits perfectly. All my other bikes have been between 15-16.5ins

Kev

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

are girls allowed to ride on ones now Brant has left?

juan
    Free Member

Thanks! Could I see a pic?

Of what my stiffee or my handjob (he he)
    I'll try to dig one out. Will probably go as frame only, but if you ask nicely I'll probably chuck in some stuff I have liying around (seatpost, headset, maybe a fork, crank tyres etc etc).

juan
    Free Member

here we go…

mamadirt
    Free Member

How tall are you LoulaBella? I'm just 5'2" and find the 14" Inbred spot on for me (I've had a couple) but I do have shortish legs and longer arms/upper body. I've also owned a 15" Handjob and Stiffee (preferred the Stiffee as I found the Handjob too long although I think the newer ones may be a touch shorter).

juan
    Free Member

preferred the Stiffee

Than handjob well I am wondering why 😉

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Yep – what mamadirt asked, how tall are you?

I'm 5'3" (and a half!) and have just sold my 14" inbred – I would love to keep it, but I can't justify 3 bikes and promised I'd never sell my ti hardtail. I can't imagine not getting another at somepoint though. I've only ever run them ss – and they're great fun! If I were you I'd buy it and build it up ss – it'll be a lot more fun than you expect and probably sharpen up your riding a fair bit too.

I have more of the 'normal' woman's pyhsic of longer legs and shorter torso, so ran it with the 14" 65mm stem (my husband's got a 16" and feels far too long for me – but I do like chuckable hardtails). It worked excellently with wide bars and a 110mm fork. Really fun and because you have so much standover they're really chuckable – great in twisty singletrack and jump really well too. In fact, I loved mine so much I rode it around Whytes Level and other trails a number of times in favour of my geared ti hardtail (don't tell it though!)

Whatever you'd decide, I think steel hardtails tend to be a lot of fun and for £125 – you can't go far wrong really…

nbt

Just as a quick point, Inbreds are currently £125 brand new which is a bargain price. At such a low price I'd suggest buying new unless your second hand deal is a stonking bargain. Buying new also means you get manufaturer's warranty: on-one recently sorted me a replacement for the 853 inbred I killed, they were very helpful.

building a bike is a great experience and if you have the confidence I'd say do it. the tricky parts are fitting the headset, if you;re fitting new forks then cutting the steerer and fitting the star fangled nut, and sorting the disc brakes: since at least two of the hose guides on the inbred are full enclosures, you need to disassemble the brake and thread the hose through, which can be daunting if you've not done it, but is actually not too bad. GO for it.

LoulaBella
    Free Member

Im 5'7'', my Rockhopper is a 17'' and its very comfy :).
    nbt your right about buying new cause ebay frames are about £100, so not much difference really and having the warranty is very useful. Out of interest how did you 'kill it'? lol
    I have applied for a job at our local bike shop Velocity so im hoping if I get the job having a staff discount and access to a workshop will help me on my way. I currently work as a cycle guide for the local government as part of the 'Fit 4 life' project. Now my youngest is off to Playschool I have more hours in the day and would love to work more part time hours. Although competition for jobs is fierce so we will have to see….

Juan the bike looks super sexy, how much would you want for a handjob?

nbt

I bent the chainstay, so the rear wheel is out of alignment. No idea how it happened though

Must… resist… comment… about … price… of… handjob…

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

5'7" then I reckon a 16" would be about right. As a woman I think the 18" would be way too long in the tt but the 16" would be alright. Might be useful to try one though. I'm sure you'll be based near someone with one!

Building bikes is fun! (Although my hubby always does the headsets for me!)

Good luck with the job application!

juan
    Free Member

well I am super quality male so handjob should cost a maximum, but I have heard you know a mate of mine in burgh so I may cut yo a deal 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MrsTJ loves her on one inbred. first bike she has had that fits properly

LoulaBella
    Free Member

Which mate would that be then? Do tell.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘on one’ is closed to new replies.