Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • On an OS map…. access/classification
  • Pook

1:25k specifically….

We all know that pink _ _ _ _ _ is a bridleway, and pink —- is footpath…

But what about black _ _ _ _ _ _ _ and ——-, or black ….. ?

On the ground I know these are nice paths but I’m curious as to the legality of them

TheBrick
    Free Member

it’s green on 1:25k pink on 1:50k

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think we have had this before – small dots are paths but it depends on landowners access – the rest are boundaries IIRC ?

psling
    Free Member

The black dashes represent a path/track/road on the ground but do not signify any Right of Way.

[edit]Oh, and as foxyrider says, the long thin black dashes represent (local authority) boundaries[/edit]

geoffj

But what about black _ _ _ _ _ _ _ and ——-, or black ….. ?

Boundaries

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/key/25k_English_Legend.pdf

Pook

it’s green on 1:25k pink on 1:50k

yeah you’re right. Using an online mapping thing and hadn’t gone all the way in!

Still, the black dots and dashes…. Like boundaries, but not. Specifically “…..”

Paths but not Rights of Way makes sense.

Cheers all.

thepodge
    Free Member

Sometimes a boundary is also a path as its a handy way to define them instead of an imaginary line

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Out of interest… anyone seen a Military OS map?

They’re great… lot’s of other stuff marked on them, including useable trails (not necessarily legal). I had a stack for the Lake District, wish I’d kept hold of them.

elliptic
    Free Member

Always worth bearing in mind that there is no guarantee of an actual path on the ground where a right of way is marked.

In open country many old ROWs were originally drawn *very* approximately on the definitive maps (which may not have been that accurate themselves). On Lakes OS maps for example you often see a non-ROW path and a ROW marked close together where the non-ROW shows the actual line of the path on the ground. The park authority people have gradually been fixing some of the worst examples eg. this footpath where the ROW used to be marked straight over Browncove Crags (a 500-foot high cliff).

The ROWs marked over Scafell Pike bear only the loosest relationship to actual paths on the ground and this one is entirely imaginary (another one that goes over a cliff).

There’s another impressively bonkers example here

offthebrakes
    Free Member

anyone seen a Military OS map?

Orienteering maps are well worth a look too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘On an OS map…. access/classification’ is closed to new replies.