Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • OMG WTF LOL! Facebook should be banned!
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hahahahahahahaha! 😆

A mate directed me to an old childhood friend’s Facebook page; they’re friends with loads of our old mates it seems, and one links to another etc…

Oh Sweet Jesus of Nazareth the years have not bin kind to some. 😆 Lordy lordy lordy.

Is it wrong to laugh at people for whom things jolly well have not gone quite right?

Am I a bad person?

Anyone else know what I’m on about? 😉

Ah, I’ve not laughed so much in ages…

jon1973
    Free Member

Is it wrong to laugh at people for whom things jolly well have not gone quite right?

You’ve finally found someone who’s done worse that you? 😉

Moonhead
    Free Member

‘jolly well have not’ is an awesome new word! 😀

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

You will go to hell for this.

bikebouy
    Free Member

No it’s not Ok, you should be well ashamed like..

However I don’t visit fartbook for that very reason.. I’m happy to leave some skool mates just where I left them thanks.

emsz
    Free Member

There are people I’d rather not know anything about on facebook but it’s almost impossible to avoid them sometimes.

bitches 👿

d45yth
    Free Member

Schadenfreude is what it’s known as in Germany. Roughly translates as laughing at others misfortune…it’s great!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No I’m sorry there is a part of me that feels bad. 😳

But it’s pushed to one side by the schadenfreude part of my nature. I can’t help it. 😆

I don’t mean like career wise or owt like hat, just the ravages of time. I have to say it’s one of those moments I am grateful I got into cycling, and kept fit and healthy.

How people can change over 20 years or so, eh? Blimey O’Reilly…

Surely someone else mustuv had a simliar experience? See an old mate after ages and ages? Shocked at how they’ve let themselves go? 😆

I won’t lie; I had a butchers primarily to see how some of the lasses had turned out. I know it’s wrong, but well, it’s Human nature, innit? Surprisingly, most of them have done ok, it’s the lads who’ve really gone downhill.

Jeeze, it catches up with you, eh? Time and that….

razor1548
    Free Member

You think things have gone ‘quite right’ for you?

Have you seen you?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Has someone hacked Elfin’s account?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I spose it’s all about insecurities and subconsciously needing to out-do others, well, with me anyway and I suspect in most folk. Just got to be honest about it.

And I spose it is bad to mock and belittle others. 🙁

Particularly satisfying to see yer old ‘enemies’ in a right old state (and we’re talking people mainly in their thirties here really) though, I won’t deny it.

Like, most folk you think ‘oh, so-and-so’s gone a bit bald/pudgy’ etc, and one or two you knew were doomed from the start anyway, but some of them; oh my Lord. 😯

I’m trying to work out why it’s amused me so. I must be a right ‘orrible bastard deep down after all! 😆

Ah, it’s good to embrace yer inner **** once in a while I reckon.

Facebook; where people expose themselves to the World…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

subconsciously needing to out-do others

No? You? Seriously?? Trying to out-do people? I won’t hear of it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok, so I visited my old skool a few years back.. Just a get together for an old friend who’d passed away and all that. Thought I’d be one of the very few that knew the person well enough to turn up.. nope, half the flippin skool year popped on over.. Some of the girlies were still well fit like, so too some lads come to think of it.. but some had eaten too many pies and drank too many pina coladas and lost a lot of the vitality that us fit types seem to have retained (as you say)
    But I’ve always been the same me, fit as.. some of the oldskoolies were fat as then and fat as now..
    Fashions not changed much for some either.. Phah.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Particularly satisfying to see yer old ‘enemies’ in a right old state (and we’re talking people mainly in their thirties here really) though, I won’t deny it.

It was twenty years ago mate, let it go.

d45yth
    Free Member

It does you good…not so much laughing at others but to make you feel like you’re doing something right yourself.
    I’ve had plenty of do-good’ers look down their noses at me, mainly due to the dodgy things I got up to in my partying days. I’ve always been honest though, I’m built like a lath and work hard. The same can’t be said for a lot of them!
    If folk think I’m a nob for saying this, they can please themselves. 😛

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I can understand why some folks see it like this. I guess for me school was a small part of my overall life experience that what happened there is trivial. I think i had be hard pushed to remember mamny peiple there at all, let alone who i didn’t like

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It was twenty years ago mate, let it go.

No. 😐

Well, at least it’s made me examine myself a bit, ask why I take delight from the misfortune of others. That has to be a good thing, in my book.

It’s the ‘shock’ factor; having that old image of someone in your head suddenly shattered by the reality.

GW
    Free Member

quite recently while out riding I randomly passed a guy (stood outside his house) who called out my name, I turned round and despite not seeing him for at least 20 odd years I still instantly recognised him so stopped for a chat. This guy had tourettes and tick at School, came from a poor family and def wasn’t the prettiest/cleverest back then and guess what? he’s now just a bald slightly bigger but slightly wiser version, spent a good hour chatting/catching up and enjoyed every minute of it, turns out he’s a grandad, his wife works for my dad (small world) and by the sounds of it he has a very happy life.
    I couldn’t give a **** if anyone I went to School with has put on weight or lost their hair etc. including anyone I had a gripe with, anything that long ago I’ve well and truely gotten over and very much doubt I’d gloat at anyone from School if I found out they were in a bit of a mess.
    I’m a fairly decent person tho. 😉

Cougar

As a geeky child who was only picked for sports when the choice was me or the fat kid, I take … pleasure’s the wrong word, but pride I guess, in the fact that these days I run road races, mountain bike and rock climb, whereas a lot of the cool kids now look like they mostly spend their time playing Xbox, smoking Gauloises and masturbating.

Maybe I need to take up smoking as well.

emsz
    Free Member

Just checked out some of the people I knew at school. not changed much looks wise, some of them havn’t changed much attitude wise either.

wouldn’t go to a reunion if you paid me 😐

racefaceec90

well 2 out of 3 ain’t bad (i don’t smoke though 😳

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think the ‘shock’ is also because you are reminded of your own mortality. You don’t see yourself ageing, but you certainly notice the passage of time in others speshly if you ain’t seen them for a while.

When I meet folk, they do comment that I jolly well have not changed much. And I found an old photo of me from 24 years ago; I actually really jolly well have not changed all that much. slightly heavier, bit greyer, receding a bit, bit more ‘weathered’, but not changed dramatically like some others.

and very much doubt I’d gloat at anyone from School if I found out they were in a bit of a mess.

That’s not really what I’m doing; I’m not judging them as people, just commenting on their appearance. Most of em seem pretty content tbh. And there’s one or two I know who’ve bin through rough times, and it’s good to see them happy and healthy again.

I know, this comes across badly, having a giggle at how me old mates look now.

Ah well. I don’t spose I’ll need a warm coat where I’m going…

GW
    Free Member

biggest shock I ever got noticing someone elses mortality (and mine)was seeing my own brother again after 15 years. he was still slim and in shape with all his own hair but noticing wrinkles on your own brothers face when the last time you saw him you were 10 and he was 16 was a bit of a shock.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Picture or it didn’t happen.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I’m not judging them as people, just commenting on their appearance.

Genuine **** **** and liar

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Only in your mind, 3 Fish…

I can’t comment on them as people, cos I jolly well have not spoken to many of them for 20-odd years. So I’m not going to.

biggest shock I ever got noticing someone elses mortality (and mine)was seeing my own brother again after 15 years. he was still slim and in shape with all his own hair but noticing wrinkles on your own brothers face when the last time you saw him you were 10 and he was 16 was a bit of a shock.

Yeah, that’s more what I’m on about, but more seeing people you knew as kids as ‘old’ people. Some have become their parents, for sure.

Picture or it didn’t happen.

If I could show you the ‘before’ and ‘after’ pics of a couple of them, you’d think ‘blimey!’.

I do wonder if people really appreciate the truly global nature of internets some times. Many, I’d imagine, assume it’s just their friends and family, but the wealth of personal info people seem willing to put on’t net is amazing.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Only in your mind, 3 Fish..

Where else should I process the way in which I perceive you? Cretin.

_tom_
    Free Member

Most people from my school who are on facebook seem to be having kids at the minute (we’re all the same age, around 22). Some are on their second or even third. It’s ridiculous.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

ANYWAY, where were we…? 😀

You can really see some people’s narcism; one lad, his profile pic’s of him all ripped and oiled and well buff; some of the comments are hilarious, with his mates ripping the pee out of him. He was always a show-off. He really don’t seem to care though. Fair play to him tbh. 🙂

Are we becoming less ‘private’ as individuals? Is out notion of privacy on the verge of being irreparably altered?

emsz
    Free Member

privacy is pretty much not happening among some of the photos I’ve seen, plastered boys and girls in various states of nakedness, loads of pics of them really pissed, or passed out on the floor.

bet their parents would be dead proud LOL

derekrides
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    I must be a right ‘orrible bastard deep down after all!

Well you made top of my shit list very early on I’ll say that for you, but i’ve since warmed a bit to your insecurities.

I will offer you one word of counsell, I suspect I’m a bit further down lifes rocky road and having lost several pals of late, you may gloat early on about it, being fitter lasting longer in the looks department, but when they’re gone and it’s just a few of you left and a couple of them have parkinsons, it’s a pretty hollow victory, don’t mean to make you feel bad or anything and have felt exactly as you do in the past, but it also changes.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

ANYWAY, where were we…?

We? Nah. You were managing the incredible feat of digging a hole for yourself whilst having your foot in your mouth and head up your arse.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I will offer you one word of counsell, I suspect I’m a bit further down lifes rocky road and having lost several pals of late, you may gloat early on about it, being fitter lasting longer in the looks department, but when they’re gone and it’s just a few of you left and a couple of them have parkinsons, it’s a pretty hollow victory, don’t mean to make you feel bad or anything and have felt exactly as you do in the past, but it also changes.

You know what? Those are sage words indeed.

Actually having thought about my earlier shadenfreudic behaviour, and analysed it, I think you have a very good point, and make it very well. S’all about enjoying what time we’ve got left. Together.

But it’s also important to look after yerself a bit, you know? Don’t get complacent. Make a bit of effort. The ‘laziness’ seems to be far more prevalent a trait in the blokes than the women; maybe cos women are under more pressure to stay looking ‘good’ and all that.

bet their parents would be dead proud LOL

When I was your age, Young Emsz ( Pops another Werthers Original; forgets where slippers and pipe are…), the worst you could expect was a couple of pics of you in a bit of a drunken state, doing the rounds of your mates.

Now, those images can go viral within minutes, and be viewed by billions. Including your colleagues and those you really don’t want seeing them. I wonder if many people fully appreciate this.

And thanks to the wonders of modern technology, such things can follow you around FOREVER.

And it seems there is an insatiable hunger for salacious images; who will end up as the next internet meme, to be ridiculed and laughed at by the entire World? 😐

grantway
    Free Member

Are we becoming less ‘private’ as individuals? Is out notion of privacy on the verge of being irreparably altered?

Only those whom join pointless internet sites as twatter and Assbook etc

v8ninety

3 fish, no need. Didnt your mother ever tell you that if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all? It’s not as if you are bringing a point of view or an interesting opinion to the party, you’re just slinging insults. Unpleasant.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

S’not just internets though is it? Increasingly, we are asked to give out increasing amounts of personal information. Like when buying a bike, or a new telly or something.

When you travel with yer Oyster card, every single journey is recorded.

Every time you use yer money card, the transaction (as well as what you bought/paid for and where) is recorded.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCTV everywhere.

Face recognition technology being tested and researched.

Soon, right, there’ll be technology which analyses yer wee and poo as it leaves yer bog, for illicit substances.

Hmm….

derekrides
    Free Member

And yes, your ultimate point is well made, use it or lose it, never back off, it pays dividends long term.

v8ninety

Soon, right, there’ll be technology which analyses yer wee and poo as it leaves yer bog, for illicit substances.

Nah, no profit in it.

It’ll analyse for you dietary habits instead so they can direct the appropriate subliminal advertising at you…

CountZero

Some very good points, well made, on here. Apart from three_fish, who just comes across as a tool.
    I have virtually no personal info on Fb, and the ONLY pic of me on there, which I used as a profile photo for a while, was taken when I was around five, sat on me dad’s motorbike, wearing his crash hat and goggles. I try to avoid pics with me in, I never like the way I look, so there are relatively few to come back and haunt me.

d45yth
    Free Member

Oh dear, you had better watch out Elfin. The philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer mentioned
    Schadenfreude as the most evil sin of human feeling,
    saying famously “To feel envy is human, to savor
    schadenfreude is devilish.”.

Also hope you’re not religious, maybe you are going to hell:

The Book of Proverbs mentions an emotion similar to
    that now described by the word schadenfreude:
    “Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not
    thine heart be glad when he stumbleth: Lest the
    LORD see it, and it displease him, and he turn away
    his wrath from him.” (Proverbs 24:17–18, King James
    Version).

Lol!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘OMG WTF LOL! Facebook should be banned!’ is closed to new replies.