Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • OMG they've got a Hellstreak up on the ridge!
  • Ming the Merciless
    Free Member
    SaxonRider

Even looking at the picture brings no enlightenment.

drlex
    Free Member

Artwork reminiscent of Dave Gibbons, but never really cared for the character and stories.

jimjam
    Free Member

drlex – Member

Artwork reminiscent of Dave Gibbons, but never really cared for the character and stories.

Yeah, I could never really get into the character and while I can’t remember the other character or characters, at the time when Rogue Trooper was big everything about it seemed incredibly derivative.

Northwind

Friday had some good stories, Rogue was mostly pish. I lump it in with Sam Slade and Walter and all that other stuff when they were still figuring out what was good and what was stupid.

xora

Rogue was basically a Sci-Fi Charlies War, but I did like it back in the day!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Blimey, tough crowd tonight, philistines! 😀

jimjam
    Free Member

Also his gun looked incredibly stupid.

Northwind

The main thing is, if you have a name like Helmet McDeadguy, you shouldn’t join the GIs. It won’t end well.

mogrim

Rogue was mostly pish. I lump it in with Sam Slade and Walter

Now I’ll give you Walter, but don’t you go knocking Robo Hunter!!!

GregMay
    Free Member

The recent lead into this has been interesting (Hunted » Furies) nice to revisit the world from a different angle.

RT has always had me since I was a kid, but as an adult reading back on the early stories… they aren’t the best.

Not a fan of Robo Hunter at all.

drlex
    Free Member

With Rebellion (owners of 2000AD) trying to get film treatments of their IP* before the Marvel & DC trend ends, I’d love to see Halo Jones or Zenith, but know it’ll be RT or Robo-Hunter. Settle for Strontium Dog or Nikolai Dante or Nemesis.

(*although I think I remember reading that many options were sold by the last owners for buttons)

jimjam
    Free Member

drlex – Member

With Rebellion (owners of 2000AD) trying to get film treatments of their IP* before the Marvel & DC trend ends, I’d love to see Halo Jones or Zenith, but know it’ll be RT or Robo-Hunter. Settle for Strontium Dog or Nikolai Dante or Nemesis.

(*although I think I remember reading that many options were sold by the last owners for buttons)

It’s probably worth considering how difficult it would be to adapt some 2000ad properties to film. The ones that stand the best chance of getting made are probably storeis and characters that are broadly speaking “conventional”.

Beyond Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper and maybe Slaine, I don’t see anything that’s accessible enough to be made into a modest budget sci-fi/genre film.

spawnofyorkshire

I got in RT during the Friday era and used to enjoy it, some of the Venus Bluegenes stories weren’t bad either.
    Nikolai Dante is still my favourite 2000AD strip though

bodgy
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmmZ9O7eLRg[/video]

codybrennan
    Free Member

Its at this point that I remind the crowd that for 8 issues in 1990-1991, I was Sam Slade’s sidekick (and then nemesis), as a friend who’s now a big writer wrote me into the strip.

My actual name and everything. And my motorbike (which could fly, which my real-life RD350 couldn’t do). I’ll alawys be thankful for that, even though I ended up blonde and looked like Belouis Some, for reasons that now escape me.

RT was….ok, but never a favourite. I preferred Colin Wilson’s artwork.

drlex
    Free Member

^Prog numbers, please- curious enough to look later.

jimjam
    Free Member

codybrennan – Member

Its at this point that I remind the crowd that for 8 issues in 1990-1991, I was Sam Slade’s sidekick (and then nemesis), as a friend who’s now a big writer wrote me into the strip.

That’s not that uncommon (although using your actual name is). I worked very closely with some of the key contributors from the 2000ad golden era and a lot of them used friends and family as direct character references. Obviously they used a lot of the celebrities of the day too – in the pre internet days it wasn’t always simple to get photo references.

codybrennan
    Free Member

drlex, it was progs 723 to (I think) 733. Will dig them out when I get home.

This is me, in comic form:

My flying motorbike:

I no longer ride a motorbike, but yes, I am indeed Gaz McCabe….

Gary

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘OMG they've got a Hellstreak up on the ridge!’ is closed to new replies.