Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • OMG….. major problem
  • Spankmonkey
    Free Member

I weighed some bike parts, im so ashamed

is there a cure?

scaredypants

eat some cake, you'll wash away the guilt

tinsy
    Free Member

Be a bit easier on yourself. Being weight conscious does not a weight weenie make.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

im worried I will be looking at lycra if I carry on this slippery slope!

tinsy
    Free Member

This might depend on what you weighed.

If it was a seatclamp your in BIG trouble.

If it was something major that makes a real difference like a wheel, its not so bad.

So what was it??

Bimbler
    Free Member

Only if you then wondered if your scales were properly calibrated

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

rotors 😯

bolts 😳

Air in the tyres 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I paid alot of attention at getting my 5spot down from 31.5lbs to 29lbs.

Does that make me a weight weenie?

I'd like to think of it as informed. 😳

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

sadly I put a spreadsheet together to get my remedy down, listed all the parts and what i could replace them with and the weight saving… it was almost 1.7kg, very worthwhile but I just feel dirty!

tinsy
    Free Member

Rotors maybe…BOLTS your in big trouble.. 🙂

sadly I put a spreadsheet together to get my remedy down, listed all the parts and what i could replace them with and the weight saving… it was almost 1.7kg, very worthwhile but I just feel dirty!

My Oh My… the spreadsheet thing was a step too far!!!

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

told you it was bad 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

My dirty secret is weighing tyres… 😳

Its nice lightening a bike up, but you have probably read it on here a thousand times its makes the most difference in the wheels.

Losing 1lb off the wheels and tyres is like 4lb off the rest of the bike in the way it goes when you pedal, just depends how far you can go with it versus riding you do.

xc-steve
    Free Member

The spread sheet idea sounds amazing! Lets make it a google doc and we can all share our results yeah yeah?!

But seriously gonna buy some scales tonight and put together a spreadsheet! Need to get my chameleon below 27lbs!

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

I lost around 500 gms off the wheels and around 626 off the tyres, the bontrager wheels I had, had minion super tacky DH tyres I changed to EX1750 wheels and nevegal 2.2 tyres, so 2.4 lbs gone in one shot 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

2.4lb off the wheels thats a huge saving… I take it this is still in the spreadsheet stage, I would be really interested to know how different you feel it rides.. Up & down.. Post it up on here please.

xc-steve
    Free Member

@Crash I did simular, 2.3 Super Tacky High rollers, and 729 rims, down to 819 and 2.1 LUST tires hell of a lot of improvement!

Next up for me is Pikes to Rebas!

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

tinsey – not just on a spreadsheet, I have changed the whole build and it is very different in total weight, but then I have gone for a lot of light stuff like mini pro's, the nice wheels, thomson kit etc. As for how it rides, I cannot ride atm, waiting for an MRI on my neck on the 8th as I am crippled at the moment, that said I am hoping to do a quick ride before xmas to test it out, just need to load up on my painkillers..

skidartist
    Free Member

im worried I will be looking at lycra if I carry on this slippery slope!

Wot tyres for slippery slope?

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

more like what shaving gel 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

I know a person who works for a bike part distributer, who went through a batch of nominally identical forks and rims weighing them all to find the lightest 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

Sounds good.. the bike that is not the MRI.

Let us know how it rides when you can.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

will do, changed since this piccie with a thomson post and floating rotors and the tyres are black… just reflect light. Not looking forward to the MRI at all 😥

njee20
    Free Member

sadly I put a spreadsheet together to get my remedy down, listed all the parts and what i could replace them with and the weight saving…

As one of the more 'weight conscious' members on here, I've never ever done that. I just look at the bike and think, 'hmmmm, that bit's heavy…'

jedi

thrash yourself with stinging nettles to purge yourself

Ian-M
    Free Member

That does sound rather as if you've got it bad.

I got given a digital luggage weighing scale for Christmas last year, and was pleasantly surprised to find my (singlespeed, which obviously helps) was only 20lbs. Now 19.5 with new b/b and I am getting sucked in –

however, the key thing for me is to remember the valuable lesson that there is such a thing as TOO LIGHT when it comes to wheels – twice when I have had a new superlight front wheel built up, lightweight tubes and everything, that's when I've had my worst wipeouts…

Ian

ooOOoo
    Free Member

You think a spreadsheet's bad – I'm doing a CAD model of my remedy 😳

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

cad… now there's a plan:)

tided it up last night, just need to change the hoses!! and the tyres are BLACK, why they reflect light and look white I do not know!

Eldrik
    Free Member

The tyres reflect light because they're those black but sparkly sidewall puncture protection Kendas, aren't they?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Spreadsheets…

It's a road to ruin. I've used mine to trim 3.75lb from the weight of my Marin Quad Trail. Simply throwing money at components all over the place barely saved me half a pound.

I agree, it's all in the wheels. The cost per weight loss here can be cheap too if you switch to Stans strips and sealant.

radoggair
    Free Member

your saddle angle looks rather steep??

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘OMG….. major problem’ is closed to new replies.