Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • OMG Leona Lewis is doing Hurt…
  • sc-xc

Music is about music.

I saw NIN back in the old days, and also JC. I used to be one of those pretentious musos who only liked stuff before it got ‘out there’. I am perfectly aware of how some people think, I am just glad I don’t have to think like that anymore.

FWIW, I love The Downward Spiral, Love American IV and don’t particularly like the kind of music they play on X-Factor. But I’m not gonna think any less of the songs I do like just because a pop star has the temerity to cover a song that I don’t agree with.

As this thread has proved, some people will watch Leona Lewis and go hunt out different versions of the song….and that’s supposed to be a bad thing? Look at when one of them did Hallelujah – Jeff Buckley and Leonard Cohen were in the top 40!

21dwb
    Free Member
    jools182
    Free Member

Can people not just ignore puerile comments?

It’s quite easy

nerd
    Free Member

Iris? I thought you all meant this to start with:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szu_bHULdq4[/video]

Now that would be a brave cover version for LL.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I get aurally raped every week

carefull Derek, the language brigade are out in full force tonight. Must be the full moon.

jools182
    Free Member

The Breeders debut album is fantastic

DrDomRob
    Free Member

sc-xc has a point.

I actively hate X-Factor. the sheer thought of what it is and what it means for the poor guys who go on the show brings out in a right rage!!!

However, I had no idea about the JC version of Hurt before this thread. Now I am listening to the JC catalog on You Tube.

sc-xc

Have a listen to Live at Folsum Dr Dom. Brilliant.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I can’t get on with the speed of the songs :/

But that is true of most country music I’ve listened too. Love his voice though.

EDIT: Just re-listening too Leona’s version of hurt, it is definately the instrumental aspect of it which ruins the song. The Piano at the start is about right, but the rest of it is too fluffy around the edges.

sc-xc

I know what you mean. I started off with the American Recordings albums (V and IV are my favourites, VI is a cash in)…then drifted into Folsum. It’s one of those that’s worth sticking on the ipod, lying on the bed and listening to as you drift off 😀

Out of all the songs on the American albums, If you could read my mind I find the most haunting – his voice cracks up half way…

DrDomRob
    Free Member

“Haunting”

That’s pretty much how I describe most of the music which really moves me.

derekrides
    Free Member

slimjim78 – Member
    I get aurally raped every week
    carefull Derek, the language brigade are out in full force tonight. Must be the full moon.

And an eclipse tonight (only partial down here) saw it out riding, should have stayed out longer..

DrDomRob
    Free Member

If you could read my mind, the original, was on an album called the singer and the song I used to listen to with my dad when he was taking me to my Monday evening athletics training every week.

That whole album I think has basically defined the music I like.

I have never been able to find a CD version – we had a tape version

sc-xc

There you go then….X-Factor result!

Northwind

AAAARGH top news story on google:

“Former X Factor winner Leona Lewis gave a stunning performance on tonight’s Final, singing a cover of Johnny Cash’s moving hit Hurt. …”

Thought it was doing pretty well til all the excess instruments came in. Proper dischordant NIN piano and all- was hoping for the sonic death ending from the Further Down version…

Just like her version of Run really, her part is good, and then it’s drowned in unneccesary crap.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Yup

But these session musicians need to be employed somehow!!!

Northwind

Perhaps the drummer could be employed sweeping streets or something.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Same on her cover of colourblind as well

Northwind

Ah, I hadn’t heard that one… <youtubes>. Hmm. Actually not a bad stab at all is it? Losing all the wee faltering timechanges in the piano makes it so lifeless though. Is it even real piano? Sounds like it was played by a robot.

OTOH she is less whiny than Adam Duritz.

zokes
    Free Member

The only good thing to have come out of the Z factor if RATM getting an xmas number 1

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I prefer ‘Bleeding Love.’ Wasn’t that song about rape and murder? Appparently Leona loves reading about serial killers, she can’t get enough of them.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

The only good thing to have come out of the Z factor if RATM getting an xmas number 1

That needs to happen again, would be nice if the Wurzels could do it this year 😀

ratherbeintobago

Funny how no-one’s done Kerosene on X Factor yet…

Andy

(Set me on FIY-UH!)

racefaceec90

OH FFS! 😡

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It isn’t a bad place where I grew up, but there was nothing going on but the cornfields. My life experience came from watching movies, watching TV and reading books and looking at magazines

– T. Reznor

Angsty middle class white boys song covered by working class people results in STW middleclass “I’m down with the grungy edgy music” outcry?

singletrackmind

Angsty middle class white boys song covered by working class people

Who exactly are ‘they’ ? Just wondering like.- TurnerGuy? 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Haha, no, but perfect comic timing, just downloaded this

http://howtodestroyangels.com/

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Angsty middle class white boys song covered by working class people results in STW middleclass “I’m down with the grungy edgy music” outcry?

Isn’t she another product of the Brit School? (googles…) Yep, and the Silvia Young theatre school, and the Italia Conti Academy. So pretty much exactly the same as the jarrow march 🙂

But yes people are being a bit precious – Trent will make more money either way, I don’t like the cover but its hardly the end of the world.

Northwind

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Haha, no, but perfect comic timing, just downloaded this

http://howtodestroyangels.com/

Man, Karen O properly ruined their version of Immigrant Song didn’t she. Should have got Leona Lewis to sing it.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s a terrible version but at least Leona looks good.

It could be Will Young singing ‘light my fire’. Now there’s something to get annoyed about.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘OMG Leona Lewis is doing Hurt…’ is closed to new replies.