Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • OMG, I think i'm now too old for my hardtail….
  • maxtorque

Strangely it’s not the going downhill stuff, as i’m fine even on blacks/gnarr/rocks/jumps etc going downhill, but i’m not sure how much more my back can take of getting hit up the ass when doing seated pedaling up rough stuff!

Either than or i’m just a wuss after spending pretty much all year on my FS??

#needachiropractor

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

I feel ya pain! 😛

RoganJosh
    Free Member

You’re definitely not too old for a hardtail if you do hash tags on a bike forum.

shifter
    Free Member

Because of this I have three full sussers.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You’re definitely not too old for a hardtail if you do hash tags on a bike forum.

😀

I’m 52, HT still ridden 90% of the time.

maxtorque

Been considering chopping the HT in for a modern short travel FS 29er.

Might as well hand in my “mancard” now eh!

bigblackshed

Rule 5.

It applies to MTBs too.

HTH. 😉

ratcatcher

Convert to single speed then you will sit down less on the rough up bits …

sillyoldman

You know you don’t have to remain seated – yes?

scaredypants

yeah, go for it – or get a thudbuster

thegreatape
    Free Member

This is a constant quandary for me for my next bike, despite it being a couple of years away. I’ve always wanted a custom steel HT to build up myself with nice kit – a Curtis or similar. But with near constant lower back ache and approaching 40 I just don’t know if the money would be better spent on a FS of some sort. Like the OP, the downs are fine in so far as I can ride them, even if it’s rough and/or technical, although I can feel pretty battered after a day of it, but getting to them or to the top of them can give my back quite a bit of grief.

helpful1
    Free Member

Weak

taxi25
    Free Member

I’m 52, HT still ridden 90% of the time.

this is pot luck though, you can be 80and still riding a hardtail. Others have a back that is shagged by 30 and very much appreciate some comfort.

Trekster

The Pig has been abandoned and lying neglected in the garage since purchasing my Altitude late last year 🙄
    Same reason as other, constant lower back pain. Old back injury from my early 20s, now into my 60s and contemplating an ebike soon 😉

sillyoldman – Member
    You know you don’t have to remain seated – yes?

Standing cause just as much pain to other joints, Achilles, knees and aggravates back/hips even more ❗

However FS only lessens the pain 💡

chestrockwell

I enjoyed riding my HT last winter. I then built the FS back up and realised what I’d been missing. Sold the HT.

Get a full suss as they’re ace. You will no longer be able to bore people about the purity of your bike or your ability to pick lines though.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I thought this last year after a nasty off left me with lower back pain ( had a disc bulge). Pilates and core strengthening sorted me, but every now and then I get a relapse.
    I ride a Bfe, and find as long as I stretch after a ride I am usually fine.
    @Greatape can you not get up to Harrogate for some physio?

thegreatape
    Free Member

It would be down to Auchterader for me, but I don’t know, I’ve never thought to ask.

dovebiker

A good regime of core strength exercises and stretching will do far more for your riding than dropping coin on more bikes. I’ve suffered from a bad back periodically and still ride a rigid bike at 50 but getting my gym routine sorted means I’m not thinking of chopping any in yet.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

A colleague had a similar injury to mine, he was paying into the recuperation centre at the time. He had 2 weeks (paid) up at Harrogate and said it was really good. I joined after my injury and if it flairs up again I will give them a call. The physio sessions are supposed to be A1. 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ll have a look then, see if I can go. Been paying it long enough!

slackalice
    Free Member

dovebiker +1

Alternatively, get a gym ball and get some core exercises to do on and with it from YouTube to avoid going to a gym.

Has worked wonders for me over the last 12 years or so and used to have chronic sciatica, sacroiliac joint and general pain for as many if not more years than that beforehand. I rarely suffer from lower back issues now, 52, physical job and lifestyle and I love riding my HT as much as my FS 8)

mboy
    Free Member

With all the leaves on the ground at this time of year, the ground is softer than it ever gets round here. Time for the FS to go away and the HT to come out for winter for certain…

Know what you mean about the back pain, but genuinely if you think having 100mm of squish between your arse an the ground will make a significant difference you’re quite mistaken! Improvements to both your core strength and your climbing technique will make the world of difference regardless of what bike you ride.

dogthomson

This book should help. The first third is a bet heavy but the exercise plans are great at strengthening core muscles for cycling.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Check setup – more up right, more spacers under stem, bar, seat etc. Lower your seat, it could be just too high. Gym core is a must.

helpful1
    Free Member

No it’s not!

Never been a gym member in my life and have a far stronger core than most cyclists.

Just ride your bike with your saddle slammed. and ride it a lot more than you currently do.

Be honest. how much do you actually ride?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@taxi I have a bad back from tennis. I suppose perhaps not of the type which hurts when biking. I also have two knees without ACLs and heavily scared calcs from too much astro turf sport so I’m hardly in fine fettle

Mbnut
    Free Member

I have gone semi fat on the HT… it has helped.

Cheers Dogthompson… a good addition to the Kindle.

langylad
    Free Member

My back started causing me pain at 18. In the intervening years i have had physio, acupuncture, 2 weeks at harrogate, an array of differing stem lengths and bike fits.
    I would love to be able to ride my old 23lb carbon hardtail around Gisburn, and it was quicker than a f/s on most stuff, however the lower back pain would prevent that. The f/s makes it bearable with 2 or 3 glute stretches thrown in to a ride. If you ever see anyone led at the side of the trail with their limbs tied in a knot, don’t worry it is just me stretching my back 🙁

rOcKeTdOg

Try fat or + before going to FS, had manyvFS over the years but sold them all on, never could get on with climbing. Fat tyres HT for comfort & the the win

vickypea
    Free Member

I’m 47 and my back has been bad for the past 30 years but I’m still riding my hardtail 😛

teasel
    Free Member

helpful1 » Never been a gym member in my life and have a far stronger core than most cyclists.

Heh

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Never been to a gym and knows his core is stronger. How many years you not been going? I’m late 50s certainly helps maintaining overal strength, core back etc.

helpful1
    Free Member

strong enough to have never even considered moaning about it. 😉
    Have been riding bikes with slammed saddles for extended periods pretty much all my life though. Ever tried it?

I’ll ask again. How much do you actually ride?

divenwob
    Free Member

+1 Fat bike

iainc

50 in a few months, 3 days riding. Fri CDF on road for a few hrs, Sat Anthem on Cathkin race trails for a few laps, today 2 hrs on track at Velodrome. Copious wine seems to be assisting pain relief 😀

kerley
    Free Member

Have been riding bikes with slammed saddles for extended periods pretty much all my life though. Ever tried it?

Nope, I ride as efficiently as possibly which means a saddle at the correct height.

matt_outandabout

Fat tyres HT for comfort & the the win

+1

+27.2 seatpost, +flexi saddle.

I am really tempted to try a 650b+whatnot size, purely for comfort without comedy of a fatty.

Suggsey
    Free Member

If you’re riding with a gravity dropper seat post swap it out for a regular seatpost….I’ve found since I fitted one to my Cove Stiffee, it’s certainly stiff as a rod of iron……so much so that I’ve considered removing it and going back to the Thomson post that was on it…….but instead when I feel like a softer rear end ride without trashing the full suss in winter mud…I bought a fatty….it’s true ridiculous comfort and grip and a right laugh to ride…….oh and no forks to worry about cleaning etc etc etc just lube the chain and ride 😆

scotroutes

It’s been said up there ^ somewhere already but I don’t think that age is the defining factor here. I’m 57 this month and the FS has hardly been used in the past 4 years. Fat, CX, 29er HT all have preference.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Has anyone found a suspension seat post like a Thudbuster or USE Vybe any good for improving things? Or are they crap?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘OMG, I think i'm now too old for my hardtail….’ is closed to new replies.