Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Omega Seamaster – any good reason not to ?
  • iainc

I have wanted one of these for years :

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/seamaster/300-m-quartz/22218000

and think I might take the plunge tomorrow. I guess it will be expensive to get serviced every year or whatever, any other pitfalls ?

yes, I know I could buy a g-shock, but I want an Omega 😆

postierich
    Free Member

Pins on the strap must come from Shimano as they are made of cheese, on my 3rd clasp in 5 years two replaced on the guarantee by the shop bought locally.Had them make me some stronger harder wearing pins.
    Used everyday had lots of bangs scrapes and the face still looks like new, I use on the bike too but can be uncomfortable when riding rigid!

Rich

luke
    Free Member

Buy used and save a packet.
    But if it's what you've wanted for a while, go for it.

househusband

At least the quartz version will keep reasonable time, unlike the automatic Seamaster I have…

pedalhead
    Free Member

I've always rather hankered after the Speedmaster 3573.50 myself, with the (nearly) original moon watch features, and a transparent back so you can see where all that money went. I guess it's kind of like choosing Ti over steel…you know if you want to…just do it 😀 .

iainc

looking good so far !!

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Like you, I wanted one for ages. I was lucky enough to have a wife who knew this and bought me one in Feb for my birthday!

First thoughts? I love it. I wear it all the while, and find myself gazing at it like a love struck Robbie Williams fan.

The quartz one does not need servicing but will require a new battery every two years (£120 every three years (approx) inc pressure test).

If you have any specific questions please mail me, if I can help I will?

BB

BB

al_f
    Free Member

Automatic, you know it makes sense 😉

No issues with accuracy AFAIK.

iainc

BB – thanks for that. I am pretty much convinced, I wanted to make sure there were no real concerns with them, like the glass getting easily scrathed or whatever before forking out the cash. Just got to decide on the regular or slightly smaller version now – they are exactly the same in all aspects (incl price), except size

jabbathehut
    Free Member

Do it, one of the best looking watches ever made in my opinion. I had one but sold it to buy some kitesurfing gear. I seriously regret it now.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I was worried that I should go for the midi size (fairly thin wrists)…………. but having tried them both on the full size one was definitely the best option for me.

I can't really help on how the crystal will wear, I've worn mine for everything since I got it and have had no problems but the I'd not expect to have had in 3 weeks.

The only tip I can pass on is that the guy who sold served me said that I shouldn't wear it for showering as soap/shampoo residue can build up around the seals which will lead them to harden and then crack.

Are you going for the blue or the black?

BB

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I've had one for the last 8 or 9 years. Auto Mid. Been a great watch, worn it every day and its never had any issues. Had it serviced about 3 years ago, cost about £150. I'd deffiantly recommended one (although I would recommend a standard 1 with black dial and bezel, I went for blue and regreted it after a few years)

Mine however will be for sale next month, As I have always wanted one of these and my wife and children have got me one for my 40th 🙂

GMT Master II

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Oh, if you shop with Tesco (we do) you can exchange their vouchers to use at Goldsmiths. For every pound clubcard voucher you exchange you get 4 back so my Seamaster cost me (my wife) under £300 in vouchers.

BB

iainc

BB _ similarly I tried them both today and also have not huge wrists. Gut feeling was that the medium size looked a bit small. Definately going for the blue !

thanks for the shower tip too.

hora
    Free Member

Buy auto not the quartz. Seriously, you wont feel like you have bought it 'properly'. Do it right and enjoy.

😀

boblo
    Free Member

Yep, get the auto coax in blue and pretent to be 007. Keeps pretty decent time and is more collectable if you want to get rid at some point in the future.

Try Watchfinders on't tinternet, quite a bit cheaper than high street.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

I have a seamaster had it about 7 years, its a great watch and looks really good. Had to have the spring in the clasp replaced about 3 yrs ago, cost me £90 – wrote and complained to Omega but they were'nt interested, but still a good watch. Prefer it to my Tag Indy 500.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Had mine for years and years, and it still looks good, as new really. Never had a strap problem, serviced twice( expensive), its the automatic and keeps great time. However and I think it is a big however it is still just a watch and does nothing more than a far far cheaper watch, it is a status symbol and an expensive one at that. Don't go blue go black

Scottlacey
    Free Member

I got one of these for my 40th, love it and have had no problems

ewawoowa
    Free Member

I got a seamaster over 2 years ago, i wear it everyday for work and when im out on the bike, the face is as pristine as the day i bought it.

they are quality watches. get one. (black though)

epicyclo

Do it. You'll never regret a good watch.

You can pass it on to your firstborn on one of their significant days, and have an excuse to get yourself a new one. 🙂

mikertroid
    Free Member

Do it but get the auto.

Mate has the quartz but never wears it; there's something not right about wearing a quartz.

He's just gone and bought an Oris GMT; absolutely lovely watch for not much.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I bought mine s/h in mint condition about 5 years ago for just £400, boxed with original paperwork etc. off Ebay. I visited the chap to collect in person with a pile of info about snide Omega Seamasters in my head. It was a genuine one of course.

I've only had to do one battery change in the time I've had it and when I first got it, have the strap adjusted for my wrist.

Its worn almost every day and has never let me down. The face seems so scratch resistant its amazing and there isn't a mark on it still.

Brilliant watch and a bargain. I still love it too.

Buy one but try to get a mint second hand one as its best value.

iainc

thanks all, off to the shops later today 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I bought my auto from Germany. Could be worth looking into?

Plus- ASK for a discount. I was offered 10-15% off a Rolex a couple of years ago. If the salesman says they have to sell at a fix-price, hes lying. Indie shops especially have margin to play with.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'm no expert but this watch does seem a stunningly unoriginal choice-there seems to be a thread about it every week. Shirley there are other more unusual choices?

If it were my money I'd not be wanting the Ford Focus of the expensive watch world. But I'm unlikely to drop £1K on a watch, though I saw a beautiful Breitling that auctioned at £700.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Double post.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wowsers. Triple post!

hora
    Free Member

cyncal al is right. At circa your budget there are soo many out there.

boblo
    Free Member

Ford Focus of the watch world? PMSL!

Sometimes things are popular for a reason…. Don't forget, 'common' is a relative term when considering eliteist exotica 🙂

Do get the auto tho. Check with Watchfinder before splashing you cash in the high streer, it'll save you ~£400 on the Seamaster Coax.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Please don't mis quote me.

hora
    Free Member

I'm not misquoting you

hora
    Free Member

I'm not misquoting you

hora
    Free Member

I'm not misquoting you

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not you silly

BigCol
    Free Member

If you get an auto omega then this will likely have a co-axial movement. This is significantly different to the vast majority of other autos out there, removing a large amount of the sensitivity to friction, and it should make the watch much more accurate in the long term.

A bit like a ford focus, but with a 50,000 mile service interval?

co-axial on wikipedia

Considered by many to be one of the most significant horological advancements since the invention of the lever escapement, the co-axial escapement functions with virtually no lubrication thereby eliminating one of the shortcomings of the traditional lever escapement

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Also agree about going auto, especially if it is the co-axial movement. Apart from strap issues you should not need it servicing for 5 years +.

Don't agree about not wearing it in the shower. Just make sure you rinse it properly and it will keep it clean. Have had Rolex's for 25 years and always worn them in the shower.

Minor scratches, including on the glass, can be polished out effectively with Brasso wadding. I do my watch about every 2 months to keep it sparkly

hora
    Free Member

007 bird Is that a Rolex?

🙂
    007 No its a Omega

007 bird Ah right, nice.

😐

😆

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

hora, you've completely lost me there 😕

[pedant] an Omega not a Omega [/pedant]

hora
    Free Member

Capn- its a dialogue in one of the last James Bond films

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Omega Seamaster – any good reason not to ?’ is closed to new replies.