Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Olympus Tough TG-4
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Is this still one of the best choices for a tough camera ?

It’s going to be used during snorkling.

onewheelgood

It is, but it’s £30 more expensive than it was 3 months ago, despite being a few years old now. I wonder why?

DrP

I’ve got one – really pleased.

Yes, it’s not as good as my GF1 (obvs), but it fits in my pocket, is tough and waterproof, and the ability to control it from your phone is genius!!

DrP

Rubber_Buccaneer

None of these tough cameras ever look that great. Always appears to be a cheap camera in expensive armour and not as good as getting an ‘action’ cam like a Go-Pro

DrP

But it’s a camera, not an action camera.
    The photos will be superior, with more control etc etc.

A small action cam it is not, nor a large DSLR either.

It’s a tool for a job – you wouldn’t see a wedding photographer with one..you might see me snorkelling by the poolside with one…!

DrP

Rubber_Buccaneer

Are the photos noticeably better though? I bought one of the Olympus jobs for my other half (few years ago, not current) and yes the thing is tough as a cockroach but it is a little slow to operate and the quality of the pictures was towards the smartphone end of the spectrum

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a TG1. Few years old now.

It’s ace.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’m not technically gifted with a camera. As some of you are probably commenting on with the above shots but those are from the Olympus tg4 it’s survived Rwanda with the wife and it’s been down under the sea. I’m happy with it and while a go pro might be a different option unless things have changed they have an incredibly short battery life compared to the Olympus.

CraigW
    Free Member

The Olympus TG-Tracker looks interesting – seems it is halfway between an action camera and a compact camera. It does have a fixed wide-angle lens, which is not always what you want.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

On my last trip a German guy with a go-pro was praising my shots from my pretty old Lumix that I have in an underwater case.

A girl at work is going to the maldives with her new husband which is why I was asking, before I recommended the TG-4.

Thanks for the replies.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I think it was the TG1 I bought. Impressively tough but a bit disappointing as a camera

Rubber_Buccaneer

The old Lumix, some of them were very good. I have one somewhere, big zoom but still great quality. Not tough though

trail_rat
    Free Member

But the go pro you advise isn’t that great as a camera either…..

It’s a half decent video camera though for its size.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My Brompton is rubbish through rock gardens.

OK, being a bit flippant, but there’s a point. If I want to take great pictures, I use my SLR. If I want to go off the beaten track, have a bucketful of fun in messy, cold, wet, dangerous places and take some decent pictures while I’m doing it, I take my TG1.

It’s about choosing the right tools for the job.

Rubber_Buccaneer

But the go pro you advise isn’t that great as a camera either….

True, and I wasn’t advising the Go-Pro just suggesting the tough cameras were equally limited in their quality

DrP

The other thing I like about the tough camera is I can let my kids take pictures with it without wincing at the prospect (read, reality) of them dropping it on it’s lens and duffing up the flash shoe…!)

DrP

DrP

A few from mine (TG4) – all taking whilst riding along/on the bike..

I like it, good camera 🙂

DrP

nickjb
    Free Member

Very happy with mine. Loads of good features. Decent pictures even in varied light. Good user control (although does fall short of full manual) . If I lost it I’d buy another.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I like it, good camera

Well if it’s getting the thumbs up from a singlespeed champion I’m not going to argue 🙂

DrP

🙂

DrP

Bruce

They also do automatic image stacking for macro photography

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Olympus Tough TG-4’ is closed to new replies.