Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • olympus 4/3rds camera s/h value?
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

another one of those ‘what’s my camera worth’ threads.
    i have an E-3 with a really nice 12-60 2.8-4 zoom. i have no idea if it’s worth much as pro canon gear is more my thing. is there a good place to sell rather than evil-bay?
    it’s probably only shot a couple of 1000 frames and underneath the thin layer of dust where it sat on a shelf for a year is mint.
    should i try and sell together or separately?

veedubba

Try the E System User Forum. A bit like STW for 4/3 and m4/3.

I’ll start the bidding at £10 for the lens though… It’d go nicely with my 4/3 kit. 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

isn’t it a bit odd to join up just to sell stuff though? that kind of thing doesn’t go down well on here 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

having had a look on that site and ebay i think £325 for the body and £425 for the lens or £725 for both (inc post) does that sound a fair price?

veedubba

I rarely buy any kit, but sounds okay.

You could always join up and post your ad with a bit of a description of why you’re selling, and reference other forums you use.

The 12-60 is too rich for me. The 14-54 is too rich even!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll start the bidding at £10 for the lens though… It’d go nicely with my 4/3 kit.

£20 here 🙂

I’d love a weather sealed camera that would work with the rest of my kit.. but I’ve got no money 🙂

What kit do you have Veedubba?

veedubba

I have an E510 with the kit zoom, a Sigma 55-200, pancake and the 35mm macro (which is my favourite).
    And an FL36 (or whatever the external flash is called).

It’s a nice size and does what I want, although I have a bit of m4/3 lust at the moment…

PePPeR

I’ve got an E3, it’s an ace camera. The only waterproof lens I’m missing is the 12-60, as I use a 14-50 Panasonic lens instead.

The prices Mr Smith puts up sound about right, you can find out the shutter count if you follow the procedure here.

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/hidden.html

HTH

molgrips
    Free Member

Nice veedubba. I have the 35mm macro too. Not quite sure how I feel about it. It’s a brilliant lens but you have to get so close it feels like microscopy, and the DoF is ridiculous. Can’t hand hold much when working up close. I’d like to try a teleconverter to allow me to be a bit further back when framing up.

I too bought an FL36 that seemed really cheap, but turns out the more expensive ones were FL36R. I haven’t felt the need for remote flash yet though so not that bothered 🙂

Pepper – you didn’t sell your stuff in the end?

PePPeR

Nope, still got it all 🙂

And still got my EP-3 too!

I’m probably going to keep the E-3 and sell the EP-3 on, I prefer the bigger camera, and find I either want a big camera or I use my camera phone.

My kids tend to like using the bigger camera too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Of the Pens I would like an EP-3 (or PL-3).

I think though that I’ll save my pennies (for a decade or so) and get an OM-D. Fab thing it is.

veedubba

The OM-D is nice, but I think I’ll get either a GF2 or an E-PM1 as a family camera in the next 6 months. My wife likes the SLR but wants something a bit more portable when she’s out and about, and I’d like that too. The 510’s small with the pancake on, but still not truly pocketable.

I like the 35mm as a portrait lens Molgrips but yes, taking any serious macro images is a little scrubbing-in-the-undergrowth-ish! I’m not anywhere serious enough to need a remote flash, but being able to bounce and set everything up rather than using the udnerpowered onboard flash is fantastic.

PePPeR – I was just offering to do MrSmith a favour by taking it off his hands with minimal hassle 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife went for a toughened Sony compact when we were shopping for her. It does its job well enough, lives in a handbag and the sand can be washed out of it when we take it to the beach…

VD I have the Sigma 30mm f1.4 as a portrait lens. It’s a bit frustrating – when it finds focus it’s amazing, but it often doesn’t. I got it for low light, but it does a poor job in low light and the narrow DoF just makes matters worse.

Agree about the swivel and bounce flash – it’s the first thing you need if you want to take pics inside.

PePPeR

My families new favourite camera to pinch off me is my Kodak Playsport ZX5

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&tok=KYVpANhurKk46uzwYWbumA&pq=kodak+playsport&cp=16&gs_id=4&xhr=t&q=kodak+playsport+zx5&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&biw=1366&bih=653&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=341979223055752682&sa=X&ei=ltUkUPbVF-6Y0QXo1ICwCg&sqi=2&ved=0CF8Q8wIwAQ

They’ve been taking it everywhere to see if they can break it! 😉

It’s a seriously good little camera, the video is great and it even takes good pictures within its limitations! The main factor being we can take it with us when we go to the beach/windsurfing/cycling. ETC!

Mr Smith I’ll outbid you at £30 😉

veedubba

Someone linked to the Biofos site, and that’s somewhere that’s quite interesting in that he’s tested a load of his old OM lenses. I quite fancy getting a few OMs off eBay and an adaptor for the 4/3 mount. Manual focus but they seem to be a cheap way to get some excellent quality lenses.

My wife does a lot of product photography (she designs knitewear) so she likes the quality of image that comes from the larger sensor of the SLR, hence the thinking about the m4/3 CSC. A tough camera would be a good idea, but we’ve got old compacts and camcorders coming out of our ears (an exaggeration, but you know what I mean).

On paper the 30mm Sigma sounds great Molgrips, shame about the focussing.

PePPeR

The Biofos site is a great read!

The main thing I love about my little EP-3 is that I can drop all my Leica M and screw mount lenses onto it! It’s then an amazing little camera!

molgrips
    Free Member

VD, it’s still capable of amazing things.. just not quite the things I was expecting! Can’t really explain why I love this picture of my sister in law and niece so much:

tube by molgrips, on Flickr

My daughter looking young:

meg_gate by molgrips, on Flickr

P8235893.JPG by molgrips, on Flickr

And here’s a macro shot since we were talking earlier

bee.jpg by molgrips, on Flickr

MrSmith
    Free Member

thanks for the olympus link, camera has only taken 1498 shots. so my “couple of thousand shots was almost correct 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Gutted I can’t make you an offer… I wish I had something to swap 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

will swap for cash. 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

£3/week?

nicko74

Of the Pens I would like an EP-3 (or PL-3).

Like the look of the PL line, but with the PL-3 Olympus have removed the built-in flash. Similar to Panasonic simplifying the GF range with every successive model, seemingly so they can have space for a new line (GX).

PL-2 is still available in a few places, it seems.

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought about the built in flash but really, the pics are so naff I’d rather have a grainy high ISO image than a built in flash one.

AF is much much better on the 3s

nicko74

AF is much much better on the 3s

Yeah? Interesting.

GF5 apparently solves some of the issues previous GFs have had with JPEG algorithms, so it could really be a tossup for me between GF5 and PL-something

veedubba

Some nice pictures there molgrips.

I’m on Flickr too, but a lot of my ones of my children are private.

GF5 has ruled itself out for me because of the lack of hotshoe Nicko.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘olympus 4/3rds camera s/h value?’ is closed to new replies.