Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Olympics, only 122 days to go. Anyone starting to get excited?
  • midlifecrashes

Only 122 days until it’s all over.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Well say what you want but I bloody love the Olympics. Can’t wait for it to kick off and (hopefully) watch our medal tally increase.

project
    Free Member

and about 123 days before the taxpayer and general public start to realise what an erxpensive waste it was.

Rorschach
    Free Member

There is a tangible sense of imminent disappointment in the air…

rossi46
    Free Member

Im not looking forward to the traffic chaos and road closures. And my local woods now have a missile battery in them 😯
    Never mind, im off to the Norfolk Broads on a boat while the Olympics are on, so i can go fishing during the day and watch it all on telly at night 😀

yossarian
    Free Member

Down south – waving union jacks and positive
    Up north – sour faced, dour and jealous
    😆

AD

Oi – I’m up North and love the Olympics!
    😆

pete68
    Free Member

No,apart from the cycle races,I couldn’t give a flying one. And I’m down south.

tomhoward

Can’t wait for it to start.

As it coincides withthe start of my 2 week alps trip 😀

bigbloke
    Free Member

Absolutely tired of hearing about it for the last bloody 3 years. I like the olympics normally but for crying out loud its been non stop bleeting about it on it seems every news bulletin forever.

chewkw
    Free Member

Bladdy dreadful event that should go somewhere else … it’s doing my head in. The event should bother someone else instead without damaging the environment. Please dont go to the 3rd world as they are just going to pollute the place … 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m absolutely tired of hearing people whine about it. FFS people can you maybe bit a bit more miserable?

It’s happening, it’s got a lot of problems but there you go – might as well get enthusiastic about the SPORT which should be fairly apolitical. If the whole country continues to piss on its own chips then it’ll still be extremely expensive and controversial and even more embarassing than some people think it is.

In other words, put a smile on for all our sakes.

rossi46
    Free Member

It wouldnt be so bad if we….. the ones who live here could actually go see some of it. But no….. didnt ‘qualify’ …

Sour grapes- what me??? 👿

BigJohn

The torch goes past my front door in 3 weeks so I’ll have to decide to stay in all day or out all day due to the ludicrous security clampdown. Is it worth staying in just to pointedly turn my back as it passes?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not overly bothered by the fact it’s here. I love it wherever it is. The culmination of four years’ training in so many sports, it’s brilliant.

chewkw
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    If the whole country continues to piss on its own chips then it’ll still be extremely expensive and controversial and even more embarassing than some people think it is.

Well at least that is far more interesting than this bladdy surreal event. Aren’t they suppose to be in the domain of those communist (or former) states or those rule by the superpower … 🙄

restless
    Free Member

I might be more excited if i had got at least one of the tickets i applied for, but all i got was football, and i hate football.
    just going because my son loves football.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Oh good, another thread for people to moan on and on about how they don’t like the Olympics … 🙄

I suppose something had to replace the weekly Top Gear thread.

joeegg
    Free Member

I’m up North and neighbours,friends etc have never mentioned the Olympics.
    I don’t think its being jealous,but i believe they see it as another event for the South-East that has very little impact on our area.
    Maybe the attitude will change once it starts,but if you mention the cost to anybody the first response is to highlight local issues.

theteaboy
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    I’m not overly bothered by the fact it’s here. I love it wherever it is. The culmination of four years’ training in so many sports, it’s brilliant.

This. I can’t wait.

But there’s the small matters of the Giro and the Tour first…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I for one am excited – got the tickets we applied for to see first rounds of hockey and with any luck will see the GB team. 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

For me it’s the London Olympics. London has organised it, London can benefit from it, London can pay for it an London can take it on the chin if it’s a failure.
    Let’s hope we don’t get the London success/British failure scenario. I’ll be watching and cheering, but I won’t be leeching of it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I just wet myself.

In all honesty it could be on the moon, but I’ll enjoy it none the less.

I don’t even live that far away from it.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I like the Olympics and am looking forward to watching it on tv (and supporting all the British competitors). The fact it’s in London isn’t any kind of a factor for me though as it’s no easier to get tickets for than an overseas location would be and I’d still need to pay over the odds for travel and accomodation anyway.

If I lived in London it’d be more exciting but it’s definitely much more of a London Olympics than it is a British Olympics.

bruk

I am really looking forward to it!

Love the oppurtunity for watching minority sports and the way the nation becomes an expert on something it sees once every 4 years and then forgets about till the next Olympics.

Failed to get tickets for the Judo which I really wanted but did get some athletics tickets. All this shows is that demand exceeded a limited supply. That to me means we are interested in the games and want to partake.

I can understand everyone whining about the cost, but frankly given the money the government would just have pissed it up another wall anyway so let’s get on and enjoy the games.

I predict that the media will hype the games and tell us they are fantastic and then in 6 months complain about the cost and lack of legacy. They always do.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Never been a big athletics fan, so not really that bothered by it – I’ll probably watch some bits on telly, and be especially chuffed if the cycling team does well again. Hope it goes well to reflect positively on the UK, encourage tourism and so on.

In terms of being excited by the event, I’m more focused on the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, but that’s because it’s on our doorstep and we’re able to involve the young people I work with in some of the pre-event initiatives.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What are the open and closing ceremony things all about apart from they are always shit.

A couple of weeks ago on my commute to work there were motorway signs on the M1 NORTH of Sheffield saying plan for your journey during the olympics ???

I applied for tickets through the biggest ticketing scam ever and didnt get any, in fact I dont know any one who did. Yet we all had our VISA cards debited.

They have put missiles on Blackheath so that they can shoot aircraft down over London, which is perhaps a bad thing ??

The British olympic team will do no better than normal and there will be an inquest as to why.

Other than that whooopey doo I cant wait

molgrips
    Free Member

But there’s the small matters of the Giro and the Tour first…

Yep. And Euro 2012, and Wimbledon! Isn’t sport brilliant?! 🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

No.

how many days until this farce is over?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

No excitement here.

Once the actual sport begins that’ll probably change but I can live without torch lighting ceremonies, 8000 strong torch processions, opening/closing ceremonies, cultural olympiads, sculptural viewing platforms, seeing the logo stuck awkwardly to all sorts of non related products and politicians pretending to give a toss about sporting legacy.

Bring on the athletes, bring on the games. But I’ve no interest in the rest of it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve no interest in the extra crap either, I never watch opening ceremonies. But I’m still excited about the sport.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well we’ve got tickets for the Paralympic cycling and wheelchair basketball and Mrs PP is volunteering as well. I think the whole thing is superb. In rather proud London won over Paris personally.

Some people will always find something to moan about. Give em £20 and they’ll complain it’s not two tenners. I’d hate to be so miserable myself. 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Olympics, only 122 days to go. Anyone starting to get excited?’ is closed to new replies.