Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Olympic XC and the 29er
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I seem to recall that the Olympic XC race would be the defining moment for the 29er.
    If that’s so what was the outcome?

crikey
    Free Member

Don’t leave a gap on the inside of the corner when you are sprinting for the win…

Wheel size means nothing.

oldgit
    Free Member

Shall I put the 1.5k back in my wallet then crikey?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Full suss!

Rorschach
    Free Member

The fastest RIDER won.

kimbers

if you ride in mountainous essex then it seems a 29er is the way forward

but hold on 650b was 1 second behind

by next year 650b will be the essential piece of kit

crikey
    Free Member

I’d go for best price rather than wheel size, and shut that door in the sprint!

He gave that win away by not staying left.

oldgit
    Free Member

Unless your a lady it seems, then 26″ is the only way to go FTW.

robbo
    Free Member

The rider who was least fatigued was able to win the sprint. Why was he less fatigued? Could be the bike…

crikey
    Free Member

Could be the bike…

Could be that the guy he was racing made a mistake. Could be that he was hugged more as a child, could be that he got the breakfast he wanted, could be lots of things.

Could be desperation to prove a point…

oldgit
    Free Member

Could be yeah, could be sucking wheel for over an hour. Reckon though it was the bestest racer that won it.

Though robbo, years ago they timed elite XC riders at Sandwell on HTs and short travel sussers. All the riders thought they’d put in faster times on the HTs, but were in fact faster on the sussers.

simondbarnes

He won because his bike was orange.

oldgit
    Free Member

Tyres?

Clink

That’s what I thought!

TiRed

Gave up on spot the 559’s, saw a few but not many. I can however confirm that I counted 5/47 FS in the line up. HTs didn’t look any slower down triple trouble from where I stood.

Fastest rider won, hed have still been fast on the second placed bike.

CheesybeanZ

+1

rOcKeTdOg

it isn’t about the bike, but i bet Specialized marketing team have gone apoplectic this afternoon and i bet they’ve probably sold out of FSRs for 2013 already!

however at the other end of the scale whoever supplied the Italian’s seatpost will be keeping a very low profile

The-Beard

The bike looked more fluorescent red in real life…

rOcKeTdOg

and no chain device! 650b must be awesome!

andypaul99
    Free Member

Don’t think there is a quicker bike cross country than a 22lb Epic’ you could argue about course types etc but as long as there’s bumps I just can’t see a hard tail being any quicker..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Heck look at those elite cyclists sporting long stems. I guess we’ve all got it wrong riding with short stems 😉

tazzymtb

I guess we’ve all got it wrong riding with short stems

for riding flat out XC yes you have got it wrong, for techy downhill trail mincing then short stem and wide bars are spot on 😉

bonesetter
    Free Member

Most of the bars were narrower than I would like too

transapp
    Free Member

I also noted that being thin and very, very fit seemed to help. Can’t see it catching on around here.

rOcKeTdOg

a ‘tache is essential for a top 5 finish too

gonetothehills
    Free Member

transapp – Member
    I also noted that being thin and very, very fit seemed to help. Can’t see it catching on around here.

That made me grin a little 😀 Nice one!

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

gonetothehills – Member
    transapp – Member

That made me grin a little Nice one!

ditto

Janesy
    Free Member

Loved being there. Proves its not the bike. Best athlete won.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Negative rise stems and skinwall tyres? Have i gone back in time 20 years?

bratty

er depends how tall you are, and other stuff.

How did that chain stay on the swiss guys bike then? Have we been conned all these years into thinking you need a fr mech or chain device when you only 1 chainring + gears? or was there a special chain ring with some form of retention rims or something?

Janesy
    Free Member

They are tubs.

tazzymtb

They are tubs.

what the stereotypical STW forumite? they may be a bit rotund, but is that not a little on the harsh side?

robbo
    Free Member

Bratty – pay attention… http://singletrackworld.com/2012/07/sram-unleashes-xx-1/
    New specific chaining designed to hold the chain..

aracer
    Free Member

whoever supplied the Italian’s seatpost will be keeping a very low profile

Just like his seatpost

oldgit
    Free Member

Just like his seatpost

Good old fashioned LOL

hodge

I spent six days at Hadleigh Farm marshalling the Monument Drop with a good view of Deans Drop. I had the opportunity to talk with the riders and their coaches, couldn’t really observe any advantages of any particular kit being used. I did have to recover a bike of a fallen rider, a carbon Cube 29er hard tale, really light with the forks set up really hard! These riders have excellent skills and ability, their fitness is fantastic. On the whole this event and all the people involved are a credit to the sport of mtbing.

bratty

Ah a bit like my first mtb [a raleigh maverick] which had 1 chain ring too. That had only 5 gears though and the chain was kept on by 2 chain guards on eith side of the chain ring.

So what is wrong with a similar chain ring as my old maverick – ie a chain guard and a 11-40-odd tooth cassette on a conventional set up – you would only really need a special cassette and mech?

aracer
    Free Member

with the forks set up really hard!

Clearly their mistake was listening to Chris Boardman rather than all the middle aged pony trekkers on bikes on here.

grantway
    Free Member

Just dont see why you would need a 29r on a garden path
    But then again i am a trail rider

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

to my mind if you weren’t riding a 29er or at the very least 650b on that course you were doing yourseld a disadvantage . . .

they fly, i’ve got one , ride one, maybe peeps should try one, otherwise you’ll never know.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Olympic XC and the 29er’ is closed to new replies.