Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Olympic Torch – Will you go and view ?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchrelay

I really am genuinely surprised how many people have turned out to watch some one jog by with a posh gas burner in their hand.

Is BMW the official Olympic yellow car sponsor?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Guess it’s exciting for the people that are still amazed by mans red fire.

Nick

I don’t really get it, but hey people are different, my kids are going with their school, hope they enjoy it.

Trimix
    Free Member

No.

Im hoping that some one will nick it and run off to a river and put the dam thing out.

Or attack it with a fire extinguisher in non sanctioned branding.

wwaswas

It’s coming past the end of my road and there’s a big display in the park 300yds away.

I shall probably make the effort to go and have peer at it.

sharkbait
    Free Member

It’s coming to a sailing event I’m taking part in next week – so if I can drag myself out of the beer tent I’ll be there 🙂

Oh hang on….. it’s getting there @ 14:00 and we’ll be on the water racing….. bit of a shame really 🙁

mboy
    Free Member

Was thinking I couldn’t really be bothered as no doubt I’d have to go all the way to town to see it.

Have just found out the route comes past the end of my road this Thursday evening, maybe 100 or so yards from my house… Think I can manage that one!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’ll pass about four miles away from my foil-lined dwelling. I had considered trying to put it out with a fire extinguisher but on balance I can’t be arsed to.

ourmaninthenorth

I’m going to take Toddler North to have a look. We’ll ride out.

My friend went with his wife and daughters – it was passing the end of his road. The first vehicle he saw was a Coca Cola truck. the people on it were waving. So he flicked then the vee’s and was promptly sent home by his wife. He’s 45.

jimster
    Free Member

Depends on whether I have to pop to Morrison’s on the way to work.

Due to come into Malvern around 8.44 on Friday, just in time with going to work.

clubber
    Free Member

I saw it this morning as it went over the Clifton Suspension Bridge since it was pretty much on the way. Quite corporate (Coke) but a good humoured, large crowd.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Is Man’s Red Fire such a novelty to so many?

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve never seen fire before so I was keen to see what it looked like 🙄

scaredypants

I’ve been watching a live streaming feed pretty much continuously since they started. Slow viewing in the middle of the night, but I don’t want to miss a thing !

llama

Went yesterday

Could of done without the corporate buses full of people trying very hard to look enthusiastic (they’re going to be even _more_ cheerful by the time the end comes).

Apart from that worth going in an oh well that was quick but will probably never see it again in your lifetime sort of way.

Note however that I think the Olympics is great, should be in London, and is well worth every penny.

bencooper
    Free Member

It gets into a Transit van about half a mile before it gets to my house. It gets out of the van about half a mile after my house.

bencooper
    Free Member

It gets into a Transit van about half a mile before it gets to my house. It gets out of the van about half a mile after my house.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

I watched it today,

Great atmosphere, lots of people out. If it came this way near here again would probably go along a second time.

It’s just a bit of fun.

butcher

I wouldn’t under any circumstances travel to see it as some kind of event.

However, since it’s coming through our town I will probably go and see it as part of the local history.

Mounty_73

Its coming right past our kitchen window! 😉

We are having a BBQ, beers etc!! We are all looking forward to it and getting into the spirit of the Olympics !!

Bring it on !! 🙂

portlyone

It’s nearest point to me, Upper Chorlton Road, is schedules for 7am. Not sure I’ll be up for it…

Reluctant
    Free Member

Goes within a few hundred yards of work, so I’ll go n look.

dawson

not coming anywhere near my house – not bothered either.

I do, however, have to have a late lunch today so that some colleague’s in another office can go and watch the fire on a stick trot past.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Was in Somerset this weekend/start of week and went to Dunstan Castle on Monday.

Spotted loads of bunting and flags on the drive there and it was visiting the town/castle later that day, so we stayed on to see it go through the town.

Long procession of fat policeman on BMW motorcycles, some waving to the crowd, then a few yellow 2012 BMWs and police BMWs. Then a coach and a small bus which was carrying several spare torches.

Then a horsebox truck with 4 seats on a platform on the back with camera operators and the torch bearer only a few feet behind, so they only come into view only as the truck passed.

Then they drove up to the castle, all got into the buses and drove to the next town, getting off the buses just before the town so they could run through it.

There was a London cab in there as well so at least there was one british built vehicle in amongst all the german ones.

On the back of one of the buses were a number of white mountain bikes with little BMW badges on the seattube.

Preceding the procession was a stupid, tacky, red coca-cola branded ‘bus’ with a side vending section and promo people handing out clapper discs and free drinks, complete with speakers blaring out pop music.

Then a blue Samsung truck with Samsung ‘cheerleaders’ on the roof, and a couple of blue Samsung branded Quad-bikes, handing out UJ flags for people to wave.

All a bit tacky and a big non-event, but a good advert for BMW.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ive just watched them try and light it using 2 Davy saftey lamps, it looks like they use a taper to light from the Davy Safety lamp to the torch. The girl amanged to stub out the flame obviously in both safety lamps. I reckon the guy just nipped back inside the coach and used his lighter to light it again…

What are the joggers in gray for? Are they security ?

hoodie
    Free Member

Running down the road waving a big lighter dressed in a tracksuit like an liverpudlian pageant of arson. I wont be bothering no.

transapp
    Free Member

I was at a friends yesterday and realised it was coming past the end of the road. Took the toddlers down for a quick shuftie, but I really enjoyed all the hot pants clad ladies in the watching crowds more!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Went to the thing in Brizzle yesterday after applying for tickets through the ballot. Some good stuff but overall just felt a bit meh at the level of corporate sponsorfest that was going on.

Once we were inside the ticketed area, you couldn’t even get a bottle of water. A coke? No problem. Loads of coke, Lloyds TSB and Samsung related tat? No problem. The after flame show at the cranes was good though and it feed feel a bit special seeing the flame.

Jaysus though, those white track suits and trainers the bearers wear? A bit, erm, street, shall we say. 😐

the00
    Free Member

I went along the other evening, just cos it was close and why not. It could have been much better – more caravan like the TDF for example, but it was ok. In a small place it’s something to do – go and clap / cheer. In a big city it’s probably a bit very naff.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Olympic Torch – Will you go and view ?’ is closed to new replies.